Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Flutie Offline OP
OP Offline

I am going through the photoreading course and should be done in about a week. My questions for the senior members of this forum is
When I photoread a computer book which I am looking at for the first time(even though I have decent knowledge on the subject), can I honestly expect to recall what I read for certification exams if I activate it 4 to 6 times?

I have seen several mails on this forum where gentlemen like Andy & Ramon & even Dana mention that they first photoread something and then slow read it - is slow reading the reading normal people do with subvocalization? If that is the case does this not defeat the complete purpose of photoreading?

When a speedreader goes through the photoreading course is there any inherent advantage he/she posesses over someone who does not speedread?

Thanks Guys

Flutie

First, you will Prepare, Preview, and PhotoRead your book. Then, you will do all of the activation techniques in steps 4 and 5.

The activation techniques have you use your brain in a whole different way than you do with regular old reading.

A former speed-reader probably won't have much of any inherent advantage. Speed reading is all about forcing your eyes to move faster and faster and faster across the page, hoping to cram 7 chunks of information into your brain more quickly.....hoping something sticks.

PhotoReading is about absorbing pagefuls of text effortlessly into your brain, with just a glance per page. And then, you learn how to "burn in" new neuro pathways between your conscious mind and the infinite processing capacity of your inner mind. End result? Better comprehension. Deeper understanding. Improved retention. A fraction of subvocalization. Half to a tenth of the time you spend right now with regular reading.

After I photoread, I rapid read, not slow read. I do this because I usually read fiction or novels for my English classes, and unless I'm pressed for time, I'll also do it for my really dense Philosophy classes. I rapid read the english because it helps me when I have to make arguments based on the writing style, not just "what happened".

Actually my activation technique is a combination of skittering, rapid reading, and dipping.

I actually found that my former speedreading courses gave me an advantage, since my subvocalization was already pretty low, and photoreading definately lowered it a lot more (I barely do it at all, now).

The problem I've gotten recently, though, is that because I've taken such a long break away from it, while I'm activating I'm too conscious of, "Did I go faster or slower than this?" or "This is way too fast..." and I get sidetracked from the material. It's quieting down now, though, so hopefully by the time I get back, I'll be all set.

If I didn't PR it first, my activation session would be horrible...and as a side note, this is a rough estimate of comprehension levels, in my opinion, based on "how it feels to me":

1 - PRing by itself.
2 - Skimming.
3 - Speedreading
4 - PRing and one activation session.
5 - Regular reading.
6 - PRing and more than one activation session.
7 - Regular reading the material more than one time.

Now, if you want to know the material better, provided you have forever, Regular reading it as many times as you would activate it is better. Of course, this takes a very very long time. In far less time, I'll know it as well as if you had read it once by activating more than once. So, for a book that would take 10 hours to read, I would have PR'd, rapid read, then superread and dipped twice, and I would have done it in probably three or four hours. That's not too bad, plus I'm getting faster.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com ("If you read slower than 50wpm, this book will EXPLODE!!!" -Speed....reader (as shown on "The Critic"))

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved