Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Paul Offline OP
OP Offline

Hey Pete,

You mentioned in our previous exchange using side B of Automatic Pilot to wire in new habits. The last time I listened to that side, a strange thought occurred to me: the tape asks you to repeat a new behavior over and over at ever increasing speeds--to get it ingrained. Sometimes, while I'm listening to a paraliminal, my conscious mind wanders and any number of thoughts cross my awareness. When I consciously noticed the part in the tape about rehearsing a behavior, I thought "jeez, I'd better not let in any thought of any behavior or experience that I WOULDN'T want to have. Of course, at that point my mind paraded in front of my some examples of undesirable scenarios and behaviors. Kind of like the old Pink Elephant Analogy where if you're told to "not think of a pink elephant" -- and you can't get it out of your head.

Because the mental rehearsals that Paul Scheele leads you through on that tape go faster and faster -- and are repeated a number of times, I started thinking "I hope these mental rehearsals are reinforcing the behavior that I ACTUALLY INTEND and not these undesirable fleeting thoughts." This gets compounded by the fact that I start worrying that I'm reinforcing a bad habit -- rather than the one you really want. For example, I don’t smoke, but if I get a persistent picture in my mind of me smoking while listening to the mental rehearsal part of the tape, would I be rehearsing a habit that might compel me to start smoking?

Probably sounds a little silly, but it is a concern.

Thanks.

Administrator
Administrator

Paul has raised an important topic of discussion: to what extent am I the thinker of the thoughts that cross through my mind? If a thought appears in my mind (whether I thought it or not), am I compelled to attach to it because it is there? What would happen if you subjected the thought to inquiry rather than deciding that each thought that comes to pass is a proclaimation of the future?

Under a simple inquiry, ("Is it true? or Does that bring me peace?") a thought which does not serve you can be reduced to background noise. Obviously, if the radio is blaring in the background you will not be required to live out every command that is offered. So it is with the many extraneous thoughts that appear in conscious perception for whatever reason they do.

I've just had a thought. It might be potentially negative and damaging. It might be programmed in as a death sentance. Is that true? No. Can I think a different thought? Yes. Who is in charge inside here? Maybe me, whoever me is. Will I choose to integrate only the ideas that serve my life's highest good? Okay. Does it bring me peace to think that I cannot fail. Yes. Then attach to that thought.

Done.

Paul Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Paul,
A personal dialogue like the one you mentioned seems like a useful way to separate out fleeting thoughts from true desires. I'll try it. A question like, "Is this thought what I'm REALLY wanting to create with this tape session?" might help keep me on track, too.

I'm also starting to put my goals and target behaviors on laminated cards that I keep handy, to really keep my mind focused on what I'm after. This makes a goal stronger in my mind in general -- and is helping me keep my mind lasered in on what I'm actually aiming for during the appropriate moments of a paraliminal session.

I also appreciate your comments about not attaching to certain thoughts. There's a point in that rehearsal session of AP side 2, that the rehearsal must become an unconscious thing -- because it's moving so fast -- even though it STARTS OUT as a consciously rehearsed process. It would seem, based on what you've said, that your unconscious will only reinforce what your really connected to and wanting, rather than grabbing and rehearsing any old extraneous conscious thought. I just didn't wanted to be engaging inappropriate thoughts out of fear. But that said, I'll do my best to stay focused.

For now, I'll work with that tape some more and use your suggestions if I need to. Thanks again.

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved