Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

This is my view on it:

He says 3x faster in some parts, but he is always very careful to say "photoread" at 25,000 wpm. Photoreading is completely different from regular reading, so it's not like he's advertizing a 20ghz computer and only guaranteeing it for 500 mhz. It's more like telling someone who's new with computers (ie - won't get the difference) that the computer he's about to buy is three times faster than what he has now, and is capable of 20 gigs (but referring to the hard drive). It's not lying, but to anyone who doesn't know the terminology, it's not very clear either.

The 3x increase is for beginners. After practice, you get faster than 3x. Right now, I'm experimenting with getting a book that would have taken me 10 hours, and using the system to get it under 45 minutes. I should be fine, and I broke down the process in another thread. I will update on how that one goes.

Light, you seem like an intelligent person, but I don't think you understand how the system works, so I'll give you a brief rundown. I say this because it seems that you feel the concept is much more "inconceivable" than it really is. It's actually pretty simple, has drawbacks, and anyone can learn it if they practice.

One problem with the name Photoreading is that "photoreading" is really just a step in the "Photoreading: Whole Mind System" process. So, from herein, the step will be referred to as PRing, while the system will be referred to as "the system".

1 - Preview the book - This step is a good step, but it's the reason some people claim that PRing is just a novelty step that doesn't work; they never actually TRIED that, and the people who have can tell you that the PR step is vital to the system. Previewing is basically looking at any chapter names, writing down anything in bold or anything that stands out to you (by the end, you only have a list of about 20 words, so this isn't extensive). This helps you generate a purpose, discussed later.

2 - PR the book (this is the 25,000 wpm thing) - This stores the book into your subconcious, and you won't consciously know anything you just read. This works on the same concept as subliminal ads and things like that.

3 - State a purpose - This is also key, because it's the connection between your concious and subconscious. You basically tell your subconscious that you want to ONLY find such and such. For example, in a book about hamsters, you might state "I'd like to know what a hamster's basic daily needs are."

4 - Activation - THIS is where everything comes together. You go through the book at a speed that looks like your skimming (you're not even really reading), and your subconscious, in the form of intuition, willgive you the "feeling" to stop skimming and read the paragraph you're on. This is the part that actually takes practice - developing the sense to interpret your subconscious correctly. This is where the scientific research from NLP, cognitive research, etc. was for. This connection exists, and in the system it's used as a filter. The point is that your subconscious processes more bits than the conscious, and can actually store all the info, but the conscious is the only place where it really means anything.

5 - State a different purpose, activate again with that purpose, and repeat until what you need from the book is complete.

Okay, now this is where questions come up:

1 - How do you know what purpose to state? - The previewing step helps with this, but really, you can always state the purpose, "I want to understand all the concepts in this book".
2 - Doesn't this mean you "skip" things? YES, and this is why the system isn't as impressive as you probably think it is. There's nothing wrong with skipping in most cases, because only 4 - 11% of a text is actually needed. When you read a book about anything, there are the things that are important you'll remember anyway (4-11%) and the things that aren't really important that you forget (most of the text). In a book about running (I regular read this one) I remembered all the points about improving my form, advice on equipment, even the section on pieces of a shoe, but if you ask me what marathons the author participated in, his wife's name, where he came up with some system of his, what equipment he personally owns (he said a lot) or any actual date in that book, you'll get a shoulder shrug from me.

The system takes advantage of that, and using a purpose and the subconscious as a storage and filter, you only consciously read what's important, and that's why you save time. Andy, a former poster on this board, pointed out that if you read the book "Alive" you'll know the plot of the book, and probably the names of everybody, but you won't know what they did with their sunglasses.

Some might argue, "hey, that could be important!" Of course it can be. But for MOST books out right now that isn't fiction, the activation method stated above works FINE, and with practice, you'll figure out creative purposes to state to using it correctly. For those less adventurous, or for books where you "have to know everything" there's a rapid reading activation instead, which by itself is better than speedreading (I've completed speedreading courses; this is much better).

I know this is long, but there should be some key points:
1) Pete never states you will read at 25,000 wpm. He uses the word photoread, which may be misleading, but it's VERY different. He does use the word 3x faster, but this will increase with practice.
2) The system is much less complex than it sounds. It doesn't take specially gifted individuals or a photographic memory, and you don't read everything in the book. It's a given, although it's not much to give up in most books. If you can't give it up, there's rapid reading.
3) Two "studies" against the system may be significant, but if you look at the forum you'll find the studies you said PRing lacks, if you do a search for "abstracts" and "photoreading" through the forum.

Thanks for taking the time to read the post. It should answer most of your questions.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

Very great input, Ramon ! Thanks a lot !!

Hello,

Light said,
"A 3x improvement in reading speed is nothing spectacular. Most people can go beyond that with traditional speed reading."

I say,
Many people in this world would pay mega bucks if they could read "only" three times faster.

I took all types of speed reading course during high school and the early years of college. I can say that they all SUCK. Basically, they all taught you how to move your eyeballs faster. Or follow your finger.

Humphrey www.not5150.com

well put, Ramon.

THis system seems to me, with a degree in Psychology, that the processes without the actual photoreading stage are suffiecient enough to learn a books content and the addition of the photoreading stage is merely a way of copyrighting this scheme by the learning strategies corporation.!!!

I am so tired of seeing that.

Why do people keep saying that? The question, "Is the photoreading step necessary?" comes up every couple days, and then we'll debate on it again, and then it's at the top of the most recent threads discussions, and then everybody lets it die, and it comes back in another thread, and ad nauseaum.

What bothers me is that every single time it comes up, someone always mentions the obvious answer: TRY THE SYSTEM WITHOUT THE PRING STEP AND SEE IF IT WORKS. Doesn't? Wow, shocking.

It takes days to finish discussing the damned question, when it would've taken the person asking an hour to find out on his own.

I also love how everyone buys the system because of spontaneous activation, then forget that spontaneous activation can't happen without PRing.

That is, of course, unless you can read via osmosis.

As a side note, Les Pauls are cool, indeed

-Anonymousman from anonymousland

Edited because I gave a huge clue to my identity.

[This message has been edited by anonymousman (edited February 12, 2002).]

light Offline OP
OP Offline

I wrote a longer reply earlier but I made a mistake and the server did not accept -- so I'll make this one short.

I've made a few small experiments to test the validity of learning, recalling, and accessing non consciense or barely consciense stimuli. I've no professional qualifications to do this.

The experiment involved scrolling random numbers across the screen at a rate of 655,000wpm, using a divergent focus, and then having the subject (myself) guess the number that scrolled across the screen.

I ran a 100 test trial and did not guess any of the random numbers correctly.

This suggest that all claims regarding non consciense, barely consciense, or altered perception learning strategies should be evaluated closely.

However, my results are not (at all) conclusive. Running the test software required a high level of beta activity, the rate may have been too fast for the brain to decode, or some other unknown quality of the testing environment could have produced the poor results.

I did manage 1 of 10 right on the first trial run (which is stastically unlikely) but when I ran a larger test -- the results were more in line with random guessing.

I also ran a short test of scrolling random numbers across the screen at 25,000wpm using a normal focused vision and managed to get 5 of 10 right. I suspect this rate would go up to a near 100% ratio with practice.

This seems to suggest (to me) that the brain can decode symbolic graphic information (letters/numbers) at a rate at or above 25,000wpm. I will run more experiments to see if one can actually "read" at this rate.

I'm undecided on if the photofocus state benefits reading. There are several possibilities of how it could increase ones reading/learning ability.

It may help to induce an alpha brainwave pattern, it may provide clues to the peripheral vision when a person later rereads a text normally, and (of course) what one hopes ( and the most questionable) that it actually allows one to 'download' information directly into the brain.

It sounds like an interesting idea, but this doesn't connect to photoreading.

At best, you could say that, "for you specifically", spontaneous activation ONLY doesn't work for you.

I'm still saying that if you want to find out in one hour if the photoreading step is necessary, then do all the steps without it. You don't need a computer, a brainwave reader, or anything like that. For some reason everyone is focusing on seeing if the photoreading step works by seeing if the same technique applies in other situations or doing experiments on divergent gaze.

Just do the system without the step to see if it works. That's all you have to do, and it'll only take an hour.

I ahev tried the photoreading system without the actual photoreading and it supplies the same results spotaneous activation - PLEASE! YOu are just remebering what you have read. Time and time again repeating the OTHER steps in the book with lead to this ALSO, so stop gettin tired you pompous fool and get wise.!

light! I am sure many of us realise you are quoting others or false works, you are using venacular just like the book/advertisements and system please dont try to fool us with your limited knowledge

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved