Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26232 02/06/02 05:46 PM
OP Offline

When I make a mindmap as I read a book, it often looks very sloppy, not at all like what Buzan says they should be like. But when I try to keep it organized and neat, it takes fovever. What should I do?
SP

#26233 02/06/02 07:51 PM

If you don't mind the extra effort, do the ugly one first. Once you have everything of value, re-draw the mind map and focus more on the look. By doing it again, you'll reinforce the info in your memory.

(Or you can use one of the software packages, but if you enjoy the kinesthetic aspect of mind mapping, you won't find that with software.)

#26234 02/07/02 02:10 AM

I'm the same way, I hate the way my mm's look so I wouldn't make them. I'd just do linear notes.

BUT, I started using MindManager and have been going crazy with it. I LOVE to make MM's now. It's frightening. I'm using it for lots of things. I'm going to play with doing my weekly/daily scheduling with MM's ..

I really recommend trying it if you are the perfectionist type (like myself) =)

#26235 02/07/02 02:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stevenplaat:
When I make a mindmap as I read a book, it often looks very sloppy, not at all like what Buzan says they should be like. But when I try to keep it organized and neat, it takes fovever. What should I do?
SP

Mind Maps are as individual as the person making them, as long as it makes sense to you, do not worry about if it is 'like what Buzan says' , he is just giving you guidelines--it is not written anywhere that a person has to be an artist. MM are supposed to be your own. Don't worry and have fun. You might also want to do a search on freenoting.

[This message has been edited by jonah (edited February 06, 2002).]

#26236 02/07/02 02:57 AM
Dan Offline

"BUT, I started using MindManager and have been going crazy with it."

What is MindManager ?

#26237 02/07/02 05:44 AM
OP Offline

Thanks! I've been trying to use mindmaps for a calendar also, but I can't seem to figure out a way to do it. MMing seems hard to apply there. Any tips?

#26238 02/07/02 10:01 PM

MindManager has a template for weekly planning. If you want to check it out, download the evaluation copy from http://www.mindjet.com/download/index.htm . Once installed, start the program and select NEW from the FILE menu. Look for the Weekly Planning template.

If you have The Mind Map book by Tony Buzan, he covers how to work your calendar with mind maps. His results are only partially a mind map.

The idea is to have a mind map for the year that covers the highlights you have planned for the year with very little detail. You would then have a monthly or weekly mind map where you insert what you hope/plan/need to accomplish. Each day, you do a mind map where you list the things you have planned for that day. You can have branches by priority or by a block of time or by an activity type (phone calls, memos, meetings...) Color codes help to differentiate different activities or different priority levels. As you finish things, scribble them off.

Sorry if this is too basic.

quote:
Originally posted by stevenplaat:
Thanks! I've been trying to use mindmaps for a calendar also, but I can't seem to figure out a way to do it. MMing seems hard to apply there. Any tips?

#26239 02/24/02 05:25 PM

Am I to understand that mind mapping is just another way to take notes? I ask because the tape walks you through mapping each chapter of the book. If you are not interested in every chapter, you only need to mind map the stuff that you want to remember, right? Mine end up flowing off the page. Does it make sense to to a page per chapter? Suggestions??

#26240 02/26/02 03:08 AM

Out of curiosity, does the MindManager program have an output feature (jpeg, gif, or bitmap), so that one could publish a MindMap to the Internet?

I run a book discussion forum for my religious group, and I'm thinking a mindmap of the book we're discussing could help others as a way to preview, especially if they're not PhotoReaders.

I'd especially love a huge, synoptic MindMap of the whole year's worth of books. (It's about nine a year, to allow for non-PhotoReaders).

#26241 02/26/02 05:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kaiden:
Out of curiosity, does the MindManager program have an output feature (jpeg, gif, or bitmap), so that one could publish a MindMap to the Internet?

It will export as:
- HTML
- PowerPoint
- Word Document
- BMP
- GIF
- JPG
- PCX
- PNG
- Text outline
- Outlook tasks
- MS Project file