Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26286 02/08/02 06:11 AM
nyxac Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi everyone,
I still can't get this system to work for me. What exactly should I do? I really have problems using the system and I am about to be kicked out of college cos my performance is dropping. I tried using PR for my studies so far it hasn't work. What can I do to master the system quickly cos I am running out of time.

#26287 02/08/02 02:10 PM

If you want a real reply instead of some feel-good response here goes.

It seems awfully early in the semester to be flunking out of college already, when did your semester start? If your performance is really bad I would suggest to withdraw from the classes you know you won't be able to pass.

I also have to ask why you are failing? Don't you put enough work into the classes? Or is it something else.

Sorry, I don't "photoread" so I can't help you out with that part.

#26288 02/08/02 04:54 PM

I found myself in a similar situation my freshman year of college. I didn't do well my first semester. So, I got a few tutors to help me in the second semester. And I was regularly meeting with one of the Deans about what was going on.

Whenever I worked with the tutors I was fine. They were all confident that I knew the material before going into the test. Unfortunately, I wasn't. I'd start to worry about doing poorly on the test, failing the class, getting thrown out of school, etc. And that is almost exactly what happened.

I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but I came to realize that what we focus on we get. If I thought about the chance of screwing up, I did. If I thought about doing well, I did. It seems too simple and silly, but it worked. I went from getting Cs and Ds that year to virtually straight As by the time I graduated.

Anytime you catch yourself worring about doing poorly, stand or sit up straight up and take a few slow, deep breaths. And think about doing well.

I'm sure others will have different suggestions, but, here's an idea to play with for Photoreading the material. Try doing something a bit different for a little while. Try setting aside some time each day and then just do the Prepare and PhotoRead steps. Just sit down, state your purpose as something like 'I want to see how much of this material I can absorb in the next few minutes', get into that attention state with the tangerine on the back of your head, then just get into the PhotoFocus state and start flipping pages. You'll only need a few minutes of this per textbook. You could do it just before that class starts, every morning, evening, etc. Then study as you normally would have before. See what happens.

#26289 02/08/02 05:51 PM

I'd have to agree with Bruce. We manifest things by our thoughts, our beliefs determine our actions.

Personally, I wouldn't use PR solely to help me out of this situation. Especially since yo u are just learning it. PR is great, and it works but it takes time to learn. Time requires patience & effort.

I'd study PR as a part of your daily learning, in addition to studying the way you normally would (or wouldn't).

There are steps of PR which you can use in your normal studying, largely that of pre/postviewing, rapidreading, etc ..

#26290 02/08/02 08:00 PM

Probably the way to master it the fastest would be to take the PR seminar. But that will put you in a hole at around 700 dollars :/. Is it that you don't study? Or do you not have proper study skills? Or are your surroundings negative so you can't absorb any information? Try and find what the teacher(s) put the most emphasis on and study that. Maybe just ask your professors or tutors what they think you should study. Do you study in 20 minute sessions with 5-10 minute breaks after every session? That works well for me. Are you mind mapping your lectures. That can help "burn in" the material before you study or do homework. Do you have the Personal Genius Paraliminal tape? That can help if you listen to it before you're school days or tests and the Memory Supercharger can help as well. After you mind map you lectures redo them after the classes that helps to if it is difficult to understand. If you're having trouble understanding the mind map technique from the PR book (I did ) I would recommend getting the MindMap Book by Tony Buzan. I think Tony Buzan has a book on studying also you might check that out. And like Bruce said most of it could be in the way you think. So think YOU CAN instead of YOU CAN'T. Hope that helps.

-Will

[This message has been edited by Will2002 (edited February 08, 2002).]

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved