Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26295 02/11/02 03:10 AM
OP Offline

Hi,
I'm interested in Super Learning. Amazon's review on this are all negative. If you have any experience with this technique please let me know.

thanks.

I can't speak for "Super Learning" but I have found success in whole brain integrated learning. I found this through a tape series on accelerated learning. I'm going to reserve mentioning it here because this is a competitor’s space. If you would like to know you can E-mail me or you can ferret out the info if you’re resourceful. ;-)

I received my Accelerated Learning course and went through the tapes, casually at first, in my car. Then I listened to them in earnest and took notes. I agree with most of what is proposed. In particular the need to use the whole mind or brain to learn with! I also agree with the fact that along with using some of the techniques suggested, I need to increase my reading speed as the tapes suggest. Cool, I already knew that before I decided to go back to school.

I'm less than average at my traditional reading speed. I’m also a dyslexic and borderline, if not completely, ADD, or something of that nature. So to me reading is not only a chore, it's not enjoyable at all. So I figured if I speed up my intake of WPM I will be able to at least keep up with the college curriculum. I search the web and found Photo Reading and dismissed it as incense burning, balderdash. Looking at the claims I was skeptical like most of the people writing flames in this forum. Oh, this was when I decided to go back to college; I hadn’t listened to the Accelerated Learning (AL) tapes yet.

So I buy a speed-reading book and start to practice it. I increase my speed for 224 WPM to about 385 WPM and my comprehension went down from 85% to 70%. Hmmm, this isn't my desired result. By now I’m deeply involved in the AL tapes. So I go back looking for another speed reading program. Of course, I find the Photo Reading in a search engine again. I take a second look. Now it looks more plausible to me.

I bought the program and tried part of it. I had a few problems with some of the exercises. Fortunately, I received a mailer advertising the seminar in San Diego. Great, I’m going! Now I’ll really know what to do and why I’m not getting the information I thought I should. Plus I’ll have a real live person to ask questions.

I completed the Seminar this evening. Wonderful course IMHO. I went into the class as vulnerable and open as I could be, naked if you will. I now know that the program is more about using the whole brain than it is about cramming words into the gray matter. I have not completed my habit-forming period to be a Photo Reader, but I'm confident it will be as enjoyable as the class. The synergy of learning the concepts and practicing it with other people was energizing! It was the most eclectic, dynamic group I’ve been involved with in a long time. Unfortunately for me I pretty much ran out of steam at the end of the course. But I still have the tape program to fill in the holes. And most important to me… it was fun!

But that’s not the purpose of my post. I found out a lot more. I found out more about myself, some important missing parts of the puzzle. I found that I need this to allow me to assimilate the knowledge, not words…. I also learned that I need to do more things to integrate my body, mind and soul, get them working together. It actually opens a Pandora’s Box for me because I need to see the big picture. I have a lot more work to do. But the most important thing is that now reading is fun!!! I have an excuse to read backwards (left eyed people will appreciate that)! I have permission to skip over words! I get what I need out of it and I use more learning modalities to do it with. It’s not frustrating.

This program complements what I’ve learned from the AL tapes. It will be exciting to put it all together and use it to help me complete my degree that I’ve been avoiding for over 30 years. Open mindedness is key. If you think Accelerated Learning and Photo Reading don’t work, your absolutely right. And if you think they do, you may be absolutely enlightened.

Good luck, and have fun!

Hi!

I gave "Super Learning" a try in earnest a couple of years ago. I bought the tape course, books materials etc, but I found it to be a total waste of time (Oh the time!!!), effort and money. I did not get anything like the results promised - in fact I did not get any results at all with it. You can be forgiven for thinking it looks good, but what you are getting is a load of empty hype, in my opinion. After reading your post I checked out the reviws on Amazon, and I have to say, I'm not surprised! You don't get bad reviews like that unless these is somthing seriously wrong.

I'm open minded and interested in accelerated learning, so I don't think it has anything to do with believeing if it will work or not, for me at any rate. After all, if it were just belief that we needed, there wouldn't be any need for all these techniques like "Super Learning", would there?

Try it. It might work for you. I would be seriously interested to know if it did. But in my opinion, it is a waste of your valuable resources. You will get a lot more joy from a program like "Accelerated learning Techniques" by Brian Tracy and Colin Rose.

OP Offline

Thanks both JosieWales and Inchiki.
Inchiki,
I have Colin Rose's book. It's good and i gained a lot from it ,however, it's not so practical and doesn't help me with learning any faster although it actually help me to learn a lot more effectively. I want both effectiveness and speed.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved