Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#2303 12/13/00 02:07 PM

Brian,

Can you clarify the need for wheatgrass and magentic therapy? The magnetic therapy is a contentious issue lately. What results have you found?

#2304 12/13/00 07:47 PM

Can you clarify the need for wheatgrass?

Wheatgrass is the single most nutritious species on the planet—plant, animal, or fungi. It has all the vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, amino acids--everything that the body needs. In fact, you can live on this stuff from the day you are born to the day you die. We tend to not assimilate supplements—90% or so is passed through urine. Green Grasses are a whole-food, meaning that if you take 3 doses or tbl, you are actually supplying 3 servings of green vegetables with the near perfect absorption that that implies. Wheatgrass also has a tremendously alkalizing effect on the body. According to Dr. Young, abnormal amounts of acidity in modern diets (from alcohol, meat, dairy, sugar, yeast) is the sole cause of sickness and abnormal tiredness. Personally, I have not gotten sick in almost 16 months. Also, applying the principles of Alkalization alone reduced my need for sleep by about 1.5 hours.

Alkalization =
Freedom from sickness
Energy without limit

Can you clarify the need for magnetic therapy?

Alas, here I do not have any personal experience. The product I wish to buy is beyond my bohemian budget--$500 for a bed of magnets. The theory is that all of the daily stresses and traumas of modern life disrupt the negative charges of our red blood cells. This causes them to clump together instead of staying apart. When this happens, the blood cells move more slowly, thus limiting your oxygen intake. When you limit your oxygen intake, your cells begin to weaken and die. Because magnetic therapy strengthens the negative charge of the blood cells, you require less time during sleep for damage control.

Something tells me that there is a link between magnetic therapy, highly charged food, building chi, and the Tomatis effect… would make for great research.

Some websites for further information: www.magneticosleep.com www.supergreens.com http://www.dreamlife.com/course/course.asp?course_id=1081&cat=1

#2305 12/14/00 07:28 AM

Hi Brian,

You quoted the following regarding magnet therapy:
The theory is that all of the daily stresses and traumas of modern life disrupt the negative charges of our red blood cells. This causes them to clump together instead of staying apart. When this happens, the blood cells move more slowly, thus limiting your oxygen intake. When you limit your oxygen intake, your cells begin to weaken and die. Because magnetic therapy strengthens the negative charge of the blood cells, you require less time during sleep for damage control.

I think a physiology lesson is in order here so that you may better understand and analyze what you are doing with your body. If I sound condescending I apologize as it is unintentional. Sorry if I ramble a bit.

Gases are exchanged in the lungs as we all know. In order for this to occur, the individual blood cells are brought into very close proximity to the lining of the lungs. This is done through a narrowing of the blood vessels from the pulmonary arteries (about the same diameter as a garden hose) down to capillaries. Capillaries are so norrow that blood cells can only pass through the vessels one at a time in single file (much like the check out line at the grocery store). If the blood cells were to clump together (as the theory states), the blood cells would not be able to pass through the capillaries (depending on the affinity of the attraction between the individual RBC's).

Oxygenation of the tissues occurs in the same manner except that the gas exchange in the tissues is reversed from the lungs. In the lungs; CO, CO2, and other gases are deposited and oxygen taken up. In the tissues oxygen is deposited and other gases are picked up.

Now as for pushing the blood through the blood vessels. That is determined by the blood pressure. The blood pressure is regulated by more mechanisms than I can explain here (CO2 levels, vagus nerve stimulation, % body fat, etc...). One possible determining factor could be the thickness of the blood. The thicker the blood is, more difficult it is to push through the blood vessels resulting in increased blood pressure. The thickness of the blood in a healthy individual is mostly determined by your fluid intake. That is one of the reasons why you start to get headaches if you don't drink enough fluids. You start to get dehydrated, the blood thickens and the pressure goes up (not to mention the chemical changes going on in your body from a lack of water).

Can the charging of the RBC's (red blood cells) decrease the viscosity? I can't speak to it as I have not seen or heard about any studies on the subject. I do know that if you slouch you interfere with your breathing mechanisms potentially leading to an alkaline chemistry in your body. Alkaline chemistry actually sensitizes the nerve cells that are responsible for carrying pain information from your body to your brain for interpretation. Alkalinity also changes the chemistry of the brain which can lead to abnormal homonal release which can really mess up your system! My advice is to BE CAREFUL! If some activity starts to cause aches and pains when it didn't used to bother you, you may want to seriously think about what you are doing with your chemistry.

Body chemistry, physiology, and mechanics are extremely complicated and not fully understood by anyone at this point in time. All those drugs that are on the market are very well researched, but you are an individual and there is no-one else on this planet that will respond to a drug (or other chemical) in the exact same way as you do. Thats why there are so many POSSIBLE side effects listed in those drug adds you see in most magazines.

I also know that there are many reasons so many people are having problems with thier health. 1.) sedentary lifestyle, 2.) eating poor quality food (McDonalds instead of home cooked), 3.) flexion dominate activities, 4.) altering body chemistry through drugs and other means, 5.) not getting proper health care for injuries leading to functional adaptations leading to pain and other problems, 6.) etc...

I have not yet seen or heard of any studies that support any use of magnets for the reasons that the company is promoting. I have heard of a study done this last summer that concluded that magnets don't work. I haven't read the study so I don't know how it was done or what they based thier results on.
Having said that, I have talked with people who swear that they were saved by magnet therapy and others who've said that it was a waste of money for them. I don't know if they do anything or not. So experiment if you want. I know I wouldn't spend $500 on this kind of research because my personal opinion is that I don't believe it would do any good.

If you have any questions please ask me or search out a biochemist (easily found at most colleges/universities) and ask them.

I hope this has been informative for all.

Gregory

#2306 12/14/00 09:21 AM

WOW.

How does one reply to such a message...

You must be a doctor?

uh...
RIGHT,

I'm just a dabbler, a generalist who is looking for some clear-cut practical techniques to aid in living a successful life. What little I know is taken mostly from websites, personal experimentation, and books on western and eastern philosophy, self-improvement, consciousness, health, and accelerated learning.

You don't really find the sort of detail you provided in books produced for mass-consumption.

In fact, I feel silly responding to your message, as I have only a functional knowledge on the topic.

If the blood cells were to clump together (as the theory states), the blood cells would not be able to pass through the capillaries

I don't see why you assume that blood flow in the lungs would stop because RBC’s clump together. The theory simply says that they ‘clump together and therefore move *more slowly*’. If they must 'go one by one' through the capillaries, then you can see how this would cause a slight backlog. I do know from reading the blurbs on many websites that magnetic therapy improves circulation by allowing blood vessels to relax and dilate, allowing a greater volume of blood to flow through.

The thicker the blood is, more difficult it is to push through the blood vessels resulting in increased blood pressure. The thickness of the blood in a healthy individual is mostly determined by your fluid intake.

Absolutely, that is the prime reason why Dr. Young recommends drinking a minimum of one gallon of water each day. That is, ‘minimum’.

Body chemistry, physiology, and mechanics are extremely complicated and not fully understood by anyone at this point in time.

Look, all a body really needs to know about alkalization is drink lots of water, eat plenty of green vegetables, and avoid acid addictions like dairy, sugar, meat, caffeine, and yeast! You don’t need to know anything about biochemistry for this. I’ve never heard anywhere by anyone that eating vegetables in the extreme is a bad thing. I regularly get over 20 servings of vegetables each day. I’m a staunch vegan. In fact, if more people would do the above, I think that would be a doctor’s dream... (or nightmare). I’m telling you, I have not gotten sick in nearly 16 months and I don’t think that I ever will again. Also, my sleep needs decreased naturally by 1.5 hours after a time, and I simply do not experience fatigue during the day. I realize that the claims I just made appear beyond belief, but that is my reality.

Though I respect your obviously superior knowledge, and though this area has not been studied to anyone’s satisfaction, I’m not about to discount these results and go back to a traditional FDA recommended food pyramid. I prefer to trust my own intuition and witnessed results when determing what is proper for my body.

For those of you out there who are interested in exploring this further, check out:
Sick and Tired? : Reclaim Your Inner Terrain by Dr. Robert Young
It is both outrageous and accessible. And, in all likelihood, will change your life forever.

Peace

#2307 12/14/00 10:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by whatthe222:

Shereshevsky didn't have a photographic memory per se. That term reffers to eidedic memory, or a perfect recall of the orriginal image - some some faint association.

You're right. I didn't really mean to suggest that Shereshevksy had a 'photographic memory'. He apparently used a form of synesthesia transforming sounds into visual imagery. I cited his example mainly because in the popular version of things, concepts like "great memory" and "photographic memory" and "good recall" are all sort of jumbled together. They're used synonymously, even though they technically aren't. I was considering a link between this (in some circles) widely known case and the idea some people have that a photographic memory would detrimental, in some way.

quote:

I don't think the perception of such people comes from Luria's book, because it isn't read by the vast majority of the public. A more plausible explination would be from the movie Rain Man..

True. The book did, however, influenced a lot of people in psychology and cognitive science -- who, at least indirectly, must have helped shape public perception of what a person with a phenomenal memory is like. I'm guessing here, of course. Since this was the most well-known and widely referred to case study, I think much was read into that one example. Prior to the sixties, memory was not studied much and information about these kinds of people were in short supply.

I also agree the Rain Man example is the most well-known example, although I think the notion that "powerful recall equals serious deficiency in other area(s)" was around before this movie. He was an autistic man who happened to have amazing recall and there are many documented cases like him.

My main reason for my earlier post was that I didn't want people to get the idea that using Memory Supercharger might be detrimental if they use it often. Probably not a major concern with most, but I'd chime in about it. I believe someone who is consciously setting out to maximize their recall ability was this tape is likely to have only positive experiences with it.

I have -- and I love this tape!

quote:

if we could find someway to access that information later, then maybe retroactively memorizing it, we could have both a perfect memory and devote more of our attention span to processing...

That's a great thought. I'm all for that.

#2308 12/14/00 10:13 PM

Magnets have helped me tremendously....no question about it.

I've had Lyme disease 3 times & my joints are not what they used to be. I get instant relief that often lasts long after the magnet is removed. I use the small 9,000 gaus ones w/ a tiny indent that makes it easy to see which side is north.

If you don't get relief w/n 10-15 minutes, then they aren't working for you.

What about the concept that gravity is really the force we call love?

#2309 12/14/00 11:16 PM

There is never not an interesting post on this board! It's uncanny!!!

So, Margaret, tell me about the relationship between gravity and love...

You know, I really have this feeling that magnets, the tomatis effect, energy work, telekinesis, yogic breathing and stretching, and highly energized food are all doing the same thing--supercharging our cells--but by different methods.

#2310 12/15/00 01:11 AM

Brian,
I read that somewhere. Some scientist said that perhaps when we finally come to an understanding of gravitational forces, it's possible that we would be able to call it love.

For me, it was an intuition as i read it. That's thanks to LS & PhRing. I seem to be much more intuitive when i skitter now.

It seems very obvious to me that love & gravity are probably the same kind of forces. It's probably outrageous to say this but if you carry over the concept: Just as the physical body has its instincts; and the psyche has its instincts also called archetypes. Intuitively i see a connection b/t the physical instincts and the psyche's archetypes. I attach gravity w/ the physical foundation of the world. But there is also the world of the psyche/soul/spirit & the foundation of that world is love. You could just as easily say the physical world & the spirit world are just levels of consciousness. *whatever* I'm not particularly interested in the scientific explanation anyway. I've noticed that during my lifetime, many scientific concepts that appear to be so innovative were only things i intuited when i was younger.

Brian, you are definitely on the right track. I hope you are able to sustain your interest throughout your life.

You know, I really have this feeling that magnets, the tomatis effect, energy work, telekinesis, yogic breathing and stretching, and highly energized food are all doing the same thing--supercharging our cells--but by different methods. [/B][/QUOTE]

#2311 12/15/00 01:15 AM

Hi Brian,

I applaud you for trying to improve yourself and your quest for health and success.

No, you don't generally find info like what I gave in general public libraries. It's a shame and frustrates me continually. I have many technical interests and when I go to my local public library, I find that the majority of books available there are geared towords mass consumption. So I have some difficulty when I try to find something technical. I often have to go to the BIG CITY and look for the info there.

There is no reason to feel silly asking questions, seeking knowledge, or responding to my posts. I dtected some deffensiveness in your response. Sorry. I didn't mean to put you on the spot. I am only trying to help you understand better how your body works so that you can make better judgements about how to take care of yourself. If you don't want the info I present, ignore my posts. :P

Yes I am a doctor and enjoy helping people immensly. I am a Chiropractor and have been in practice for around 10 years now. I would be very happy if the general public were healthier than at this point in time.

Let me clear up some info for you. All blood vessels have smooth muscle fibers in thier walls to allow for a change in diameter to help regulate blood flow through the tissue. If the muscles tighten, the diameter narrows, the less blood flows through the tissue. This can develop to the point where the tissue turnes a blueish hue due to tissue hypoxia and is most commonly seen in conditions of extreme cold.

If RBC's clump together strongly enough, they form what is called a blood clot (or emboli). This blood clot then acts like a stopper in a drain, either severely restricting or outright stopping the blood flow through a particular vessel. This can lead to tissue necrosis (death) if the blood flow is decreased enough. (Thats what heart attacks and strokes are all about and why they can be so damaging/traumatic.)

If there are enough blood clots present in the blood stream (or a few that are large enough), they can effectively block enough blood vessels in the tissue (typically in the lungs first, then in the brain depending on where the clots form) to cause necrosis of the tissue and possible death for the individual. If the clot is small and a small enough tissue is affected, the person will not see any effects. However, this condition can easily lead to death.

If the RBC's are just slightly attracted to each other I suppose it could slow the blood flow through the tissue and could lead to decreased oxygenation of the tissue with the inherent results. However this could be overcome by various means of compensation that are available to the body. I haven't heard about this theory before your post and don't know about the validity of the theory. I would have to think about it for a while to determine if the theory had merit. I am not inclined to do that at this moment.

Now, I don't know how magnet therapy effects the blood flow through body tissue as I haven't seen any studies on this topic. I also haven't seen any studies on magnet therapy itself. I've only heard about the study done this last summer and referred to that in my last post. Sorry if I didn't make that more clear. I know nothing of the validity or effectiveness of magnet therapy and am not interested in proving or disproving it at this point in my life. There are other things that are more important to me right now.

I am not trying to belittle your point of view by any means. I am happy that your health has improved so dramatically. The only potential problem with remaining on a strict vegan diet is that getting enough protein in your diet for normal body functioning may be very difficult. Also, there are certain vitamines or enzymes that can only be found, obtained, or manufatured from animal protein. Don't ask me which ones as I don't remember. It's been more than 10 years since I looked at that info. At that time a few cases were presented to the class where strict vegans ended up in the hospital for dietary defficiancies.

A text that you may find interesting is titled "clinical Nutrition for pain, inflammation and tissue healing" by David Seaman copyright 1998. You can find it at www.NutrAnalysis.com. Everything in the text is supported and referranced by published scientific nutritional studies. If you want to better understand what you are doing with your diet, check out the text.

If you are happy with your diet and lifestyle; more powere to you. I don't have a problem with that and am not trying to recruit you or anyone else to one lifestyle or another. If youre happy thats all that counts.

Sincerely,
Gregory

#2312 12/15/00 01:29 AM

Brian And Gregory,

Alpha Lipoic Acid and Vitamin B12 are two things that are only present in Red meat. You can get them in supplement form, but I don't know how effective they are.

ALA is essential for good memory and brain function.

It would also be interesting to note that in Okinawa, where the main staple was fish, people lived amazingly long.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved