Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#26942 03/11/02 09:42 AM
OP Offline

Hello everyone

I must warn you, this is going to be a long posting. I am sorry about the length of the posting, but I am in desperate need of help. I would be grateful to anyone who provides me any kind of help.

I am presently studying for my Actuarial Science professional exams, which are administered by Society of Actuaries. The topics are calculus, probability, interest theory, finance and economics. So one could guess, the exams are very intense and technical nature.

The problem is that, there are tones of books to study from which I need to study and I do not have the time to do that. The books that the regulating bodies have recommended are very technical and conceptual. They do contain examples to illustrate the theory, but are mostly filled with definitions, theorems, mathematical notations and God knows what else!

I have already taken the PR seminar, and I am aware of the whole mind system. I have tried to follow the 5-day plan on a book titled, Patent Strategy for Researchers and Research Managers. To my dismay, I haven’t got anything out of that book yet after PhotoReading it 3-4 times. I have given up on that and now I am bound to go back to my old study habits.

I would like to know, how should I apply the PhotoReading skills on the material, which I just described? What steps should I take?

If it helps, I have the following Paraliminal Tapes: Belief, New Behavior Generator, Memory Super Charger, PhotoReading Activator and Personal Genius.

Once again, I thank you all for taking your precious time to read my posting. I am looking forward for a positive reply.

Raheem

Can you see the text clearly?

Explain step by step how you do the system. Tell us what you do to prepare, preview, PR, and activate the book.

OP Offline

quote:
Originally posted by youngprer:
Explain step by step how you do the system. Tell us what you do to prepare, preview, PR, and activate the book.

I close my eyes, state my purpose, do the tangerine technique (I dont know if it works!), imagine my visual field opening up and then gently open my eyes. I PhotoRead the chapter that I want to concentrate on for a while. I also PhotoRead it backwards and upside down. After PRing, I post view the chapter. After that, I dont feel that i know anything about the chapter except the structure of the chapter, and the subheadings and couple of trigger words. I then Rapid Read the chapter with the notion that I will be able to understand it. But that doesn't works out. So I resume to my normal study habits

Thanks

Raheem

OP Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Dudie:
Can you see the text clearly?

When I PR the book, the text is blurry. While Rapid Reading, its normal.

Thanks

Raheem

How long do you spend on each step? The text is blurry, that's okay, and is a good thing.

"God knows what else! " Attitude may actually be affecting your ability to comprehend. If you don't like the material, try to think about something that will come out of it that is positive!

As for the tangerine, feel it in your hand. If you believe, or question that you are not doing it correctly, then you are already not. When doing the tangerine technique, the words should appear to be easier to manage, and you'll be able to quickly move your eyes relaxed accross them, without having to slow down to actually read the sections.

For example, if you find your self reading series of words like this:

"f-or ex-ample, if you w-ould"

instead of like this:
"for example, if you would like to see something that would amaze you, use the tangerine technique to give your mind a smooth feeling with the words"

You should be able to move over the text like a smooth silk blanket. Try to imagine that this is what it feels like when using this technique. Remember, it doesn't have to be a tangerine, or anything. Just try focusing the attention to the back of your head.

The text on the left and right will look like it overlaps
(Hold two pieces of pepper with text on it on top of each other to a
light the text will overlap but you will still see it clearly)
But in the blip you should be able to read every word clearly
Don’t focus only on the blip but the whole page
A lot of people would disagree with me but my opinion is if
You can t see what you read you wont recall anything
Use you’re logic it is the one of you’re best tools!

yeah I know how u feel Raheem. I PRed many books and didn't get a very good understanding. I tried to PRing a 380 page book (Gravity by Tess Gerritsen) but only remembered the trigger words I wrote down. I'm a huge Stephen King fan and since I didn't see how PRing would work on such books, I went back to normal reading. I probably gave up on it too soon. I don't know how you could read a 800 page book in a few hours and have a firm understanding of it.

Here is an easy guide to get results with activation:

1. Craft mind probing questions in your own words with the trigger words and phrases you wrote down during Preview. Do this at the beginning of each activation pass.

2. Then, SuperRead & Dip in 30-minute passes. Move through the whole book in that 30 minutes.

3. Mind Map a layer of branches at the end of each pass.

Always remember, you are building comprehension at a very accelerated rate in each activation pass. Structure first, and increasingly more detail with each 30-minute session.

When your ready to dive in to all the specific details throughout the book, shift into step 5, Rapid Reading. Continue adding branches to your mind map.

For text books and highly detailed books, certification manuals, etc, treat each chapter as a book in itself. Fully activate each chapter one at a time, and a mind map for each chapter.

Questions?

OT Offline

Hey brother, kindred rmsuleman,

I don't frequent this board much but I thought I would do a search for "actuarial" and I found your post.

I started an earlier thread under Actuarial Exams, FYI. I too am trying to become and ASA (Associate of the Society of Actuaries).

Anyway, I’m in the memorization phase just about 39 days from SoA Exam 6. I’ve got the sixty six pages of the Just Actuarial Material 6 condensed outline to memorize. Yup, that is right, about 4 inches of index cards. I’m wondering if pring will aid the memorization phase.

The Pring system has been helping me get through the reading. I think the pring system (tape) is good in that it pushes the standard of concentration to a high level. I feel like I should almost be in a trance and fully absorbed. I think the tips outside of the actual pring are also very good. I think 90% of my benefit comes from the tips outside of pring. One thing I think pring does well, however, is help break down any mental blocks or intimidating-ness of large amounts of especially technical reading.

What exam are you sitting for?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved