Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

I think that we can model anyone as long as our intent is good. If one chose to increase their tennis, they might model John McInro(?sp), the famous tennis star with the art of having tantrums. The person could model his tennis ability but would not develop the ability to throw tantrums.

Well, so much for tact... “Cry Havoc”, eh?
*throws caution to the four winds*

I think the only time you'll get any flack from Christians on that is if you say that we can be fully like Jesus, i.e. God.

Well... *pauses* ...... *takes deep breath* ......
bring on the flack, because that is my contention.

It's name-dropping of the highest order.
I dropped the name, because

A. It’s manifestly obvious to me based on my personal enlightenment experiences and explorations

B. I didn’t feel like taking two hours out of my life to explain the historical basis of the conclusion. Details are a chore—but fortunately, I have them in abundance.

Slithy Toves, you obvious think I am an idiot. ... I am not an idiot.

As for Jesus having been a Buddha. That's one that I've heard from many people over the years, even the current Dalai Lama has said that.

Smart man. Wiser than the both of us. I surmise that there are any number of Jesus’s living today. Perhaps 3000, perhaps 10k? People who can heal the sick with their hands. People who really are one with God. Who can truly foretell the future. And I’ll bet most of them will describe how they are feeling in culturally dependent terms. Whatever the cultural context of their religion, whatever set of vocabulary, set of rituals, set of holybooks, whatever deities, that’s all “cultural specific noise”.

Does the view of Jesus that's used to make that judgement come from the Bible?

I am not going to engage in a theological debate with anyone. I am not going to use the Gospels, and I am not going to use the traditions of the many Christian churches. I am going to use historical facts.

I draw a distinct line between History and Theology, here and now.

Historians deal in facts. “What do we know based on the evidence?”
Theologians deal in faith. “What does our age-old tradition tell us we know?”

Is there a different source of info on Jesus's life to come up with that assertion?

As a matter of fact, yes. It’s called “The Gospel of Thomas”. Unlike the “hearsay” gospels that people study, this one is a collection of direct quotes from Jesus in the tradition of the Confucian Analects, as recorded by Didymos Judas Thomas, one of Jesus’s brothers. It was untouched for 2000 years, in an airtight Egyptian chamber that was exhumed by a group of fertilizer gatherers in the Egyptian desert in 1945, and it stand up to archeological dating. -–please check this out, if only to discredit it. Your faith will demand that you discredit this gospel, so perhaps in the process of doing the research as I have, you will realize the truth about the true nature of Jesus?

This is more reliable than the Gospel by the way. The Gospels were barbarous stuff—barely understandable. Written in infantile Greek, not Hebrew by ignorant, uneducated men, 60+ years after the fact. (This was quite an embarrassment in latter years.) Ignorant, superstitious, sheep-farmers—not exactly the kind of people I’d want to base a faith off of or devote my life to. I am a big fan of the King James version btw, even though I was Catholic—it reads like Shakespeare!!

Here are some quick quotes:
His disciples said to him, "When will the kingdom come?"
"It will not come by watching for it. It will not be said, 'Look, here!' or 'Look, there!' Rather, the Father's kingdom is spread out upon the earth, and people don't see it."

“The Kingdom of Heaven is like a person who had a treasure hidden in his field but did not know it.”

"When you make the two into one, you will become children of Adam”

"Those who know all, but are lacking in themselves, are utterly lacking."

“I am the all”

His disciples said to him, "Who are you to say these things to us?"
"You don't understand who I am from what I say to you. Rather, you have become like the Judeans, for they love the tree but hate its fruit, or they love the fruit but hate the tree."

Enlightened men from all creeds say these same bloody things. These are universal expressions of self-transcendence.

And there are Christian mystics too, you know. Zen Christians who want to get back to the original purity of Christ’s teachings, and the Gnostics especially, where God is not something obvious, some... “thing” or “personality”. They believe that God is something you can study and meditate on, that God is essentially an enormous Unity, that you must dissolve specific shapes into this unity. “The Monad”, “The One”, that is beyond all categories, the same as “Tao”. They believe that people could be actual manifestations of the one. And that Jesus was one such person. One of many. And that PERSONALLY advancing along in degrees of absolute knowledge would lead you to the same type of salvation. You can’t get anymore Eastern than that!

The reason I'm asking is that from my view of the life of Jesus from the Bible, the idea of Jesus as a Buddha makes no sense,

What else could he have possibly been?

He was either who He said He was, or He was a complete nutcase.

NO. There is a third possibility. He could have been who he was, but not been who he said he was.

It's amazing the backflips people will do to acknowledge Jesus while downplaying what He really said.

THAT WAS MY ORIGINAL POINT before you set me off. Who cares what he said? He was born and raised in the Jewish tradition. That was his cultural context. We cannot blame him for being born in a culture—he articulated his experience from his own cultural milieu. The words aren’t important. They never are. The experience of life is all.

New-agers

I prefer, “Enlightenment Scientist”.

New-agers wear pink and play with aunks.
Religious people and philosophers wear robes and play with books and tongues.

I wear combat fatigues and play with technology.

It may be a stimulating intellectual exercise to equate Jesus with Buddha or any other spiritual leaders, but it can only be done by people who hear what Jesus said second-hand.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! This is the funniest thing I’ve heard all year. THE NEW TESTAMENT WAS WRITTEN 100 YEARS AFTER HIS DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE NICENE CREED WAS AGREED UPON IN 325!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhh... that’s a good one, mate, heh.

Mark was the earliest, around 70 A.D., two generations after Jesus’s death. And Matthew and Luke used Mark as their PRIMARY SOURCE!!! Their second round of gospels FIRST MENTIONED the virgin birth. Guess what? Mark didn’t mention it! QED the virgin birth is a fabrication, an EMBELLISHMENT of Matthew and Luke. And then John gave his “contribution” to the mouth of Jesus in 100 A.D. which was NOT a narrative, it was a THESIS. That Jesus was the pre-existing word of god—Logos, which took form as Jesus.

Oh, and by the way, Herod died in 6 B.C., so he couldn’t have been around to kill the babies.

Also, Mark changed Jesus’s name (“Jesus is greek, not Hebrew) from Joshua (Hebrew version) in order to separate him from the great commonness of “Joshua”.

And not only that, Jesus had brothers and sisters. It’s true. (You learn these things when you are a history major!) Read Eusebius’s “The History of the Church” chapter 23, check it out! He describes Jesus’s brother, James, who took over his brother’s work after Jesus died.

Eusebius was the pre-eminent early historian of Christianity. If not for his work, we would know nothing of the haphazard origins of the Christian church. This guy is solid.

One thing that IS clear from all of the gospels, Thomas or traditional, is that the people around Jesus hadn’t the faintest clue what he was talking about. The Jesus faction was galvanized after his death though. They came to an agreement on just what Jesus had been trying to get through to them. This is when they came up with the external “Kingdom of God”. Ridiculous! The Kingdom of God is WITHIN you. It’s an experience of life, Jesus-style. Not some floating palace in the clouds.

(All this was taught to me by a Yale classical civilizations professor, specializing in the Near-Eastern religions—this is his life, he knows what he’s talking about, i.e., the four gospels are not his ONLY source…. (And here I was thinking, “when am I ever going to use this”!!))

If you take the time to study the New Testament and what Jesus actually had to say, you will find that He left no middle ground.

You say this as if Jesus wrote the gospels in his free time!! Jesus and everyone who knew him were DEAD by the time of the first gospel. How can you get direct quotes from dead people? Easy, make them up. The bible is historical fiction. Its figures are given dialogue just as Steven Ambrose gives his his real-life American historical characters fictional dialogue. Ambrose writes what they would probably say, but ... how in the hell does he know what it’s what Lincoln or Jefferson really said or that it’s even close? He doesn’t. And half of the episodes in books of historical fiction are ... fiction.

THE GOSPELS ARE ORAL HISTORY. An ORAL history. Do you know what that is? When you were in grade school, did you ever play the game where 30 of you get in a line and the first person whispers a sentence to the second person. Then the second person whispers what he *thought* he heard into the third person’s ear? Well... by the time you get to the 30th person, you’ll find the original sentence is quite mangled, misshapen, misinterpreted, corrupted, and probably bearing little resemblance to what was originally said. The Gospel of Thomas is direct, sealed in an airtight chamber for 2000 years. I would trust it 1000 times more than what the Gospels say or any subsequent church doctrine.

Not only that, but do you think, maybe, the writers of the Gospel were a little biased? These people had a message to convey. These are not objective historical scholars!! Hardly dispassionate.

He said He was the son of God, not an enlightened man. He said He was the Messiah, not a buddha.

The Zealots wanted a militant political leader. They wanted a Mithridates of Pontus, an Osama bin Laden-type. A terrorist mastermind, essentially, like Judas Machabeaus had been. A warrior that would throw off the yoke of Roman occupation.

Likewise, the idea of “Christ” as emperor did not come around until Constantine and his lackey bishops remade his image. I have seen a statue of Jesus from before 325 AD. Do you know what he looked like? He looked barely 15 years old. No beard. No robes. A quite “beautiful” young boy. A Classical youth. His image after 325? Christ as Roman Emperor, which is the image that has stuck to this day.

Do you know what an “Eireenicon” is? It’s greek. It means, “something we all agree to agree on so we can stop arguing”.

Constantine was a go-getting CEO-type. He adopted Christianity so he could unite the empire, so he could leverage the control the religion would allot him over Rome.
He didn’t have time for these petty theological squabbles. So he did what any good CEO would do. He held a committee meeting! The First Ecumenical Council. Their task was to settle the dispute inside the church as to the nature of Jesus.
Arius, a prominent monk, was the primary supporter of the “Jesus was an Enlightened Man” viewpoint. He said that Jesus was subordinate to god, a human. Why? Because you can’t say Jesus was God if he died!! God’s aren’t supposed to die like humans—at least not in Roman times.

Whereas, the opposition to Arius believed that Jesus was actually God incarnate. So the two camps argued, eventually voting to condemn Arius to death for heresy and also to have all magic banned—all flavors of Christian mystical experience were relegated to “witchhood” for the first time. This is why Christians have been throwing this “Occult” word around for 1600 years and are afraid of it. Because 325 ensured that anything remotely mystical was wiped from clean from early Catholicism.

Do you see? This imperial tradition of Christ as Emperor is a fabrication. A VERY LATE fabrication. Constantine re-invented Jesus as a Roman emperor to replace the cult of Sol Invictus, which was the age-old cult of emperor-worship that Augustus had begun. The Emperor operated in direct succession of Jesus on earth. The Roman Empire became Christ’s Kingdom “on Earth”. The living tradition of Christ and Heaven—on earth. To disobey the emperor was to go against God--the ultimate control. Constantine was a brilliant, scheming, crafty entrepreneur.

The real Jesus is NOT the emperor of an ethereal kingdom as determined by Constantine and the Nicene bishops. Nor is he the son of god as ignorant Judean shepherds claim in the gospels. He was a man. Just a man. Like you and me. Perhaps the most misunderstood man in the history of histories.

He said He was the son of God, not an enlightened man. He said He was the Messiah, not a buddha. He said that He was the ONLY path to God, not just another option on the path to nirvana.

How in God’s name could he have said these things? He had no knowledge OF ANY OTHER spiritual discipline, other than perhaps Zoroasterism, Mithraism, Roman religion, or any number of garden variety polytheistic religions. He had a Jewish background. He was a Jew. How could he express himself in any other way? He was a carpenter’s son, was he not? Not exactly university educated with a degree in Comparative Religion!!!

Should we model Him? Sure. Can we achieve what He did? Not a chance.

This is the greatest of all limiting beliefs.
Yes, the #1 limiting belief of all time.

Have you heard of Alan Watts? A protestant minister, formerly. Discovered Zen. Discovered meditation. Became the greatest scholar of Comparative Religion (east/west) of all time. A friend of his asked him, “Alan, you’ve studied and practiced every religion under the human sun. In all your explorations, do you suppose that there is an underlying commonality?” He didn’t answer with words. Instead, he took his calligraphic brush and drew an empty circle. He then drew arrows all around the circle, pointing toward it. The arrows are the cultural specific paths the Hindus, Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Zoroasterians, Taoists, Confucians take. Oneness with God. The empty circle is the Oneness which is common to the highest achievers of each of these spiritual disciplines.

It is the same experience.

It is the same experience. Only the words differ.

It would seem, with your belief, there is a brick wall in front of your arrow.

[This message has been edited by Brian649 (edited March 18, 2002).]

I will not respond long to this... Youngprer already thinks of me as close-minded, because I believe in raising the dead by the power of God (go figure). We won't get into that. But, on the original topic of this post, I offer one word:

Conscience

I do believe that some things are black and white sin...You cannot discuss those away. Many other things are a matter of Conscience. The Apostle Paul discusses many of these things in I Corinthians 5 and 6.

If you are a Christian, and photoreading causes a crisis of conscience...by all means, send it back. It isn't worth what it costs to your soul. For those that are Christian and find no problem with photoreading, then photoread. Just take care not to assimilate anything that is against the knowledge of God. That doesn't go just for photoreading (by the way, I do, and I enjoy it greatly), it goes for anything. Sometimes things that are apparently Christian do even exalt themselves against the knowledge of God.

God is not a God of ignorance, but of understanding (Hebrew Word Biyn-means perception and intelligence). He wants us to get intelligence, to get perception, to get understanding:

Proverbs 4:7-Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Many times the traditions we were raised in as Christians are a far cry from the truth of Scripture. Tradition tells you to forsake anything that isn't in the tenets of "our" faith. I had to overcome alot of that in my journey of life. The Bible is the final authority on what a believer should, in fact, believe. If you are holding to a tradition, rather than the Word, then get into the Word and let the Word guide you.

Brian, I can tell you are an educated man. You obviously have ALOT to say about these things. Education is wonderful, isn't it? A little education, well, it is dangerous. You, my friend, have become a set thinker, that horribly close-minded thing that Win Wenger talks about in His Einstein Factor series. You, by all your "education", have established in your mind that Y'Shua could not have been who he said he was (bTW Jesus is merely the Greek form of the name Joshua, Mark didn't rename him, he just wrote in the Greek language.)

You are right about one thing, however. Mark is the earliest written account of the life of Christ. I won't get into the morass of biblical dating with you, but most reliable scholarship places the date of the gospel of Mark at A.D. 55, Matthew and Luke at around A.D. 65 and John at around A.D. 85-90. That would place the earliest written account merely 20 years after Christ's Ascension. Matthew and John were Christ's own disciples and saw those events firsthand. Luke and Mark were both close associates of Paul, the most authoritative Christian teacher of the 1st century. Paul was close associates with most of the original twelve disciples that walked with Jesus. The Gospels were eye-witness accounts, not oral traditions as you claim. Oral Tradition was the method of Old testament Jewish practice, and they were so meticulous with the details that they were put to death if they were found to place anything inaccurate in their tradition. You have spent alot of time studying liberal theological points of view that have within their agenda the removal of anything supernatural from the Bible.

Bravo, Brian!

I don't think you're an idiot. I think you are prime professor material. You are arrogant, condescending, and love to hear yourself speak. I don't have a problem with that. You have some very interesting things to say when you don't have your dander up.

Like all of us, you have a world view and you look for the "facts" that support your world view. You have displayed some of those "facts." Thanks.

I've read a bit of the Gospel of Thomas and it reads like it was written by someone smoking dope. I haven't found the rock solid sources you have that show it is THE source of what we know about Jesus. I'll look into it more.

There are arguments about the death of Herod, how it is reckoned, and how that relates to the birth of Christ. You have taken one position. Others use the history of Josephus and numismatic evidence to show that Herod lived until after Jesus was born.

What is relevant about Jesus having brothers and sisters? His brother James is mentioned in the Gospel.

We all have a hole to fill in our lives. Some of us choose to fill it with God. Forgive the mindreading, but you appear to want to fill it with your own greatness. I wish you all the best. We believe in an unlimited God and limited man. You appear to believe in limited god and unlimited Man.

In all of your contentions, you remove the aspect of divinity from the equation before making the decision. How could a simple carpenter know anything about other religions? He couldn't. If He were God in the flesh, He might just have the ability to see what religions would come. How could a bunch of ignorant shepherds and fisherman relate what Jesus had to say some 50-70 years after His death? It would be tough without the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Now, obviously, you don't believe in the Holy Spirit, so that is an answer that will not work for you. I accept that and I don't expect to change your mind.

You probably believe that we exist today thanks to a giant cosmic fart that brought something from nothingness. You probably believe that this incredibly complex computer system of DNA and RNA was the result of billions of years of combinatory play by a brainless universe. If that's what I believed, I would want to believe in my own ability to attain God-hood too. To me, it looks far too amazing to have been generated by anything other than a Creator.

Clearly, my world view was developed from a point of naivete and ignorance. I believe that every day the universe shows signs of a Creator. I believe that the Old Testament is an amazing book of prophecy/history that foretells the coming of Christ accurately. I believe that it foretold the return of Israel to its land in 1948, something that NO other people have accomplished once they have been spread across the globe. All other groups have disappeared as they were absorbed into other nations. You can take this as meaningless. To me it shows the hand of God. I believe that the New Testament then shows the rest of the story and shows what happens when God becomes flesh to save the people He created.

I'm sure that sounds like pure nonsense to a man of your intellectual capacity. So be it. This is not an argument in which any of us is going to change our stance. We can go on arguing until the activity icon for this topic goes thermonuclear and our positions will remain the same.

Do we have a brick wall? I don't think so. I think we have the ultimate opportunity to serve the Creator of the universe. That sounds much less limiting than stilling my thoughts as I listen to the one hand clapping.

I'll look forward to hearing about how you contribute real good to the world on a mass scale. Keep us posted. I just hope that section of the paper finds its way into my birdcage...

Having said all that, I still don't think Satan invented Photoreading.

I use photoreading quite a bit. I've never thought about the devil while doing so. Evil bores me. It doesn't sing.

quote:
Originally posted by Godchild:
I will not respond long to this... Youngprer already thinks of me as close-minded, because I believe in raising the dead by the power of God (go figure). We won't get into that.

Dude. God can raise the dead, but no other. Be cautious to any person who can actually;provingly pull off raising someone from the dead.

Slithy Toves,

I'm sorry I let anger get the better of me. That was not.. 'professional', and maligning the faiths of others is... not what I'm about.

"MY TEMPLE SHOULD BE A HOUSE OF PRAYER, BUT YOU HAVE MADE IT A DEN OF THEIVES!!!" *smashes tables* *trashes stands*

--

The temptation to retaliate to your last barrage is so unbelievably strong. You're right though, it's an exercise in futility. So, the last word remains yours.

*turns the other cheek*

Brian,

Thanks for posting your lengthy response, it was a very interesting read. You haven't convinced me of anything, but I doubt that was your intention.

A couple of comments on your post for other who may be misled by your very confident assertions.

You state "Historians deal in facts. “What do we know based on the evidence?”"

Historians do not deal in facts. They deal in theories, assumptions, and data. The data is interpreted, based on their theories using assumptions where necessary and out pops what is their view of what happened and it is called "fact". Sometimes it's accurate, sometimes it's not.

This is important when you bring up writings such as "The Gospel of Thomas". You give the impression from your post that it was written by Jesus's twin brother Thomas (Didymos meaning twin) while Jesus was alive and then buried for 2000 years, and that this was "fact". It's been a few years since I looked into it but from what I remember, there is tremendous debate about who wrote this and when. It is not known whether it was written by Thomas the disciple . And to say that because Thomas is referred to the "twin" in the Synoptic Gospels, it is a stretch to say he was Jesus's twin. About the manuscript. It was translated at least once, from Greek to Coptic, by the Gnostics before being buried. There is at least some belief that the Gnostic traditions had some influence on the translations, so the manuscript may not be as pure as you contend. It's known that the Coptic manuscript found dates back to the fourth century with a badly damaged, incomplete, Greek version found elsewhere dating to the third century. It is unknown when the original was written, I've seen speculation from AD 70 - 200. There are differences between what's been found of the Greek version and the Coptic version, with the Greek "fragments" having a saying not found in the Coptic version. Due to the lack of supporting data, it's difficult to judge the accuracy or completeness of the Coptic version. There are a great number of the sayings in Thomas that are also in the Synoptic Gospels. Did, for example, Thomas take from Mark or Mark take from Thomas, or both take from some other source (Q??) - nobody really knows. As far as I'm concerned, the jury's still out on The Gospel of Thomas. Yet as a history major being taught by a possibly biased professor at Yale, you seem to be allowing your beliefs to shape what you belive as fact. You take Gospels that have been generally acceped as authentic but do not support your views and label them as "hearsay" while taking a recently descovered manuscript which is still being studied for authenticity and you turn that into absolute fact.

BTW, my faith does not demand that I discredit The Gospel of Thomas. God sent the Spirit to guide me, I don't have to worry every time something challenges my faith. Besides, The Gospel of Thomas is a bunch a sayings with no context which can be interpreted many different ways.

One other thing, it is believed by many that Herod died in 4 B.C. So again, facts for some may not be facts for others when you talk history especially when in 4 B.C., the people recording events didn't know it was 4 B.C. so present day historians have to interpret the writings of these older historians. The more one has to interpret, the greater chance of error.

Michael

Again, those were shots fired in anger--negative thoughts spontaneously flowing through me. Barbed thoughts, seeking to draw blood, not to educate or come to higher understanding. This is not the way.

I recant! I recant!

Hel Offline

Provocative and knowledgeable thoughts passionately expressed. Thanks, Brian, for sharing. In fact, I want to thank all who have participated in this discussion for sharing their thoughts and believes.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved