Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#27206 03/22/02 04:49 AM

Jeff--
The theory of evolution states that the whole of life came into existance out of nothing (If space does not have oxygen, how did the big bang occur since oxygen is needed. Plus Louis Pasteur(?) did an experiment that proved that something cannot come from nothing. So, Biology contradicts the Evolution Theory. What part of science are you going to believe and what part are you going to discredit?

#27207 03/22/02 06:30 AM

Now as for Brian's request;
"What distinguishes your creation myth from the creation myth of any other religion?"

The main thing that distinguishes mine from others is that I believe the Christian view to be true, based on faith.

Michael, a first-class answer. I'm proud of you. That takes courage. Courage I don't have.

So Faith is the beginning and end of the argument.

#27208 03/22/02 10:06 AM
Hel Offline

Brian, the chicken cell experiment sounds very interesting. I had never heard of it before. Do you know about Babaji, the immortal in the Himalayas? ( I was going to say the immortal who 'lives' in the Himalayas. But can one be said to live if one does not die?)

#27209 03/22/02 01:34 PM

"What distinguishes your creation myth from the creation myth of any other religion?"

This is a great question.

Jesus Christ was not just any other man. He was & is the Son of God. He was raised from the dead ... you will not find his bones anywhere. This cannot be said of any other person. Because of the resurrection, I can believe God's word as truth. If the resurrection had not occurred, I would have to question the veracity of the Bible.

#27210 03/22/02 04:27 PM

Brian,

You're right it is faith, the beginning and ending of this argument. I didn't mean to offend you in anyway I hope you didn't take it as an offense. Shooting holes in each other's beliefs isn't going to go anywhere. The reason I believe in Christ is because he chose me, and I believe what I read in the Word of God. Some may argue it's a nice fantasy, but what if I said Abraham Lincon wasn't real. Of course, you would think I was crazy and you would pull out all the facts of his presidentcy and his speeches to show me. But, isn't that the same thing Christians do when they quote the Bible? We can't prove Jesus was real anymore than someone could prove Abraham Lincon was real we just believe. Thanks for your views Brian.

-Will

#27211 03/22/02 07:51 PM

quote:
The theory of evolution states that the whole of life came into existance out of nothing

No it doesn't. The theory revolves around the idea that species (I use the word loosely) can change over time by gaining or losing certain characteristics.

Evolution is life-to-life. It says nothing about the ultimate origin of life.

quote:
If space does not have oxygen, how did the big bang occur since oxygen is needed.

I'm not sure I understand this, but I think you're trying to say that all explosions require oxygen. This isn't true: for example, atom bombs.

quote:
That's is exactly what bothers me with evolution in this society. It is just a theory...

Funny, the atom bomb worked anyway, despite it being based on theories.

I obviously spoke past you before, so let me try this. Yes, everything's a theory, but you are misusing the word to mean "only kinda true and maybe not" rather than "true given this massive body of peer-reviewed observations and tests."

quote:
...and there is absolutely no evidence, in the fossil record or anywhere else, that directly supports evolution.

That's silly, it's the exact opposite that's true. If anything in life is a fact, the idea that species change over time is one such fact. You can argue the mechanism (how does the change occur), you can argue that there are other forces at work, but saying that species don't change form over time is, I repeat, silly. It's like saying the earth doesn't revolve around the sun.

-Jeff

[This message has been edited by Jaif (edited March 22, 2002).]

#27212 03/22/02 08:10 PM

Jaif,

Evolution is not fact it is what you choose to believe. Your choice not fact. Very simple.

-Will

#27213 03/22/02 09:17 PM

This topic is getting a little old but what the heck.

Jeff, By saying that there is no evidence of evolution in the fossil record, I meant exactly that. You say that the fossil record shows that species change, it does not. (It doesn't show that they don't change either.) In the fossil record, there has never been a specied disovered that is in transistion, either it is one species or another species, period. We don't fossil evidence that shows these sequential steps that must be there. It has been pure hypothesis used to connect these species together. In defense of the fossil record, it consistes of an extremely small sample of what existed in history. Nobody has been able to reproduce evolution in a lab environment either. Genetic science shows many similarities, but again does not directly and exclusively support evolution.

About other theories, you are correct, that unproven scientific theories are put into practice all the time. The steam engine was a classic example, it took science nearly 200 years to prove how it worked. Sometimes they work as expected and sometimes different. The atom bomb was much more devistating that anyone had imagined. In most cases science is open about the fact that it has not been proven. In fact, historically, science has denied theories unless they had been fully proven, steam engine again many scientists denied it worked as they watched water being pumped from mines be the engine.

Darwinism is very different, it has almost become a political movement in this country. If anyone questions it, they are attacked, usually viciously. The supporters of Darwinism are very careful to remove any possibility of "design" elements in evolution.

I'm not saying that Darwinism is false, I believe it is false, but I have no proof. I personally do believe that evolution is quite possible, if not probable. Evolution being a broader term that allows for intelligence, in my view, God.

All I'm saying is that when evolution is taught or spoken about, it should be understood that it has not yet been proven.

Brian, What I wrote before required no courage. Courage is running into a burning building to save a child. Courage is standing up for you faith when you know it will cost you your life.

Michael

#27214 03/22/02 09:25 PM

quote:
Evolution is not fact it is what you choose to believe. Your choice not fact. Very simple.

That same statement can be made for everything in life. It's the old philosophy trick of "do I believe what I sense or not?"

Obviously, you can believe what you want (you are doing so now, proof of point<g> ), but that isn't very helpful in society. It's frankly not a very healthy way to approach life, IMO.

Now, if the word "fact" is to have any meaning different than "belief", then Evolution is a fact. How evolution occurs is the subject of debate still, but the fact that it occurs is no longer in dispute by the vast majority of people in the field.

-Jeff

[This message has been edited by Jaif (edited March 22, 2002).]

#27215 03/22/02 09:45 PM

I think this is starting to go into circles, so I'll desist and won't rebutt.

Here's a link to a site that will likely not change anybody's beliefs, but may prove usefull to the original poster:
http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/faqs-mustread.html

-Jeff

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved