Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27226 03/22/02 02:23 AM
OP Offline

I'm a slow, careful reader in graduate school. After years of reading the ads in the in-flight magazines, I finally succumbed and ordered the Reading Genius kit.I did the whole program faithfully, including a technique called "photocopying" which sounds a lot like PhotoReading. Unfortunately, I don't read any faster than I ever did, although I now have an imaginary pet dolphin, which I suppose is some consolation...

So, I'd love to hear from people who have actually learned to take in information quickly through PhotoReading, or any other method. Thank you.

#27227 03/22/02 03:36 AM

$200 bucks for an imaginary dolphin?! Awww man, I want one!

Maybe that's why Nightingale-Conant no longer sells that course.

If you want to "photocopy" every page in a book and instantly know everything in it, chances are it ain't gonna happen. If you want a more effective reading system that will help you sift through all the useless information in the book, you're likely to see positive results.

As far as reading speed, I haven't clocked my reading speed. I can tell you that after I started Photoreading, my regular reading speed increased dramatically. I found myself flying through novels and I was totally shocked. It's a side effect that I don't think is mentioned in the book.

In case you don't know, this is a system comprised of multiple steps. You hardly ever "regular read" a book. Sometimes after Photoreading a book, I DO get the sense that I want to regular read it. Other times, I get the sense that I don't even when to do the rest of the system steps on it. It's interesting.

The thing of it is that you're taking a more active approach to the book. Rather than placidly reading every word, you're letting your unconscious mind sort through what was Photoread and direct you to the meat. It works. Rather than demanding scientific evidence, I recommend trying it out. Go through the system, then use it on a few books. Try the 5-day plan on a number of books. Do just the Photoreading step on a number of books each day. Give yourself permission to play with it. Give yourself permission to not expect results. It sounds odd, but results tend to improve dramatically for people once they stop worrying about whether or not it's working. (Maybe you should ask your imaginary pet dolphin if that would work for Reading Genius.)

Oh, and with Photoreading, you get an imaginary pet tangerine. Top that.

[This message has been edited by slithy toves (edited March 21, 2002).]

#27228 03/22/02 02:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by slithy toves:

Oh, and with Photoreading, you get an imaginary pet tangerine. Top that.

[This message has been edited by slithy toves (edited March 21, 2002).]

I ate mine once. . .I had to get a new one.

#27229 03/23/02 03:17 PM

Rebecca, wow. I just returned (yesterday) the program that you mentioned. Like you I had seen the ad in the airline mags and decided to give it a try...ugh! Too much "stuff". Too hooky for me. I just ordered the PhotoReading self study last night and look forward to checking it out. As compared to the "dolphin" program this sounds solid and is backed by a real organization, not a bookseller. I'll be happy to compare experiences if you move ahead.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved