Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27462 04/03/02 09:05 AM
OP Offline

Hi,
I just started PRing about two months ago. So far, I don't really feel like I'm getting very much comprehension, or saving much time as opposed to regular reading. Basically, I just read along to the tapes and do what Paul says. I was enthusiastic at first, but lately I've been sort of reverting back to regular reading. I was wondering if you have any tips for breaking the initial plateau in the PR learning curve?
I am better now at maintaining a blip page, but I still find myself getting distracted. Especially during Activation. My other problem is that I go to slow. The other day I went through 17 pages in 10 minutes during activation, but with minimal comprehension. This left about 70 pages to read. Should I go faster and do multiple passes? A friend suggested on the first pass, to look for irrelevent passes. Good advice?
I recently observed something about ties between PR and martial arts. I just began studying Russian style martial arts, and the mental focus during it is relaxed and fluid. Also they reccomend soft eyes. They said that in this state you make more mental images per second, making time appear slower. Interesting stuff! I'll be moving like the Matrix soon.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Yes, you should probably go faster and do multiple passes. The trick for super reading is multiple passes. This makes it easier to not get distracted (since it's less time per session) and you just keep doing passes until it "gels".

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

OP Offline

I'm also pretty bad at keeping the Tangerine state going. I put the thing on and it keeps rolling off as if I have a badly shaped head! Or might like I get absorbed in reading and forget about it.
Any suggestions? Is this important to be concerned about?

You'll get mixed feelings on this, but I prefer the alpha state as my tangerine replacement.

All you have to do is look up towards the ceiling with your eyes, and slowly close them (don't strain yourself). Do this for about 15 seconds and you'll feel an interesting change in your mental state.

Then start PRing. For me, it just gets me focused.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

tylerhasselhoff,

If you are the same tylerhasseloff that gives such good advice on the dragondoor board, you are probably closer to your desired success than you may realize.

Getting distracted is quite common. And regardless of whether you are previewing, pr, activating, etc., a distracted mind will not effectively absorb information. This is much like doing DLs with heavy weight- distraction, including waning belief, will decrease your ability to lift and potentially cause injury. You may find it helpful to read the article 'Mind Doctrine of a Warrior' posted on dragondoor.com and adapt it to pr. It has helped me.

I'm sure you know why it is important to cycle your exercises- because your body adapts. Stick with PR as a whole- improving each aspect of it; and guess what, you mind will adapt. You are getting there- stick to it.

Never train to failure. When you begin feeling frustrated- back off and come back later.

Welcome to PRing comrade!

--BS

OP Offline

Yeah, I'm the dragondoor guy. I'm glad you like my advice.
I'll reread the Mind Doctrine article.
When I get distracted I must be thinking about my kettlebell:-)
I like your advice. Relating anything to deadlifts hits home for me.
One more question: is an incubation period necessary? Sometimes I want to photoread something, but I need to have it done sooner rather than later. Is it okay to cut down the incubation period to an hour or so?

tylerhasselhoff,

Once you get used to PR, the incubation times are minimal (if you desire). Some PRers will move to the activation steps after the pr step. It's all mind training. You may find it helpful to do image streaming which helps develop good other-than-conscious listening skills.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved