Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27553 04/08/02 09:52 AM
maucent Offline OP
OP Offline

I know that this seems to be a little off-topic, but I think that it helps with Photoreading. Do you guys know how to sleep less? I read somewhere in the forum that someone has successfully reduced his sleep hours from around 8 to around 3 hours. This is my dream. I usually sleep at least 8 hours, and If I must wake up before completing the 8 hours, I feel bad the entire morning (and sometimes the entire day). I want to sleep less because there's a lot of things that I want to do (Photoread a lot after taking the seminar, for example ). I know that the brain needs no more than 1/2 hour(s) of sleep.

Someone can help? I don't mind If it will take months before learning how to sleep less. I need it bad!

Thanks.

#27554 04/09/02 01:56 AM

Although the method that worked for me to drastically reduce the amount of sleep each night is easy, it takes some time, at least nine months from start to finish. Have a kid .

Sorry, I just couldn't resist .

Michael

#27555 04/09/02 11:38 AM
Administrator
Administrator

If you really want less sleep you need to consider taking up meditation.An hour of meditation a day can reduce your sleep requirement by up to 3 hours.

I got used to less sleep by working 14 to 18 hours a day 7 days a week and then studying 3 to 4 hours yep only slept an average of 4 hours a night for 5 years. Necessity became the mother of inventions.

Unless you really have to reduce your sleep why not enjoy it... exploring the dream realm... a lot of great ideas are invented from there.

Alex

#27556 04/09/02 12:39 PM
maucent Offline OP
OP Offline

Meditation? I don't know..I'm not exactly the "meditative" person. I don't really know how to meditate indeed.

I'm trying with the polyphasic sleep. it's used by scientists and astronauts.Basically, I sleep 2 hours at night and then I take a 25 minutes nap every 4 hours. Who tried it said that it works very well, if you can get used to it (it will take up to 21 days). You should feel more refreshed than the "traditional" sleeping. I should try some subliminal tapes, too. the hypnovision ones seems good.

#27557 04/11/02 10:55 PM

Everyone could use meditation. I'm a little hyperactive myself, but I've gradually taught myself to sit still and relax.

#27558 04/12/02 03:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by maucent:
Meditation? I don't know..I'm not exactly the "meditative" person. I don't really know how to meditate indeed.

I'm trying with the polyphasic sleep. it's used by scientists and astronauts.Basically, I sleep 2 hours at night and then I take a 25 minutes nap every 4 hours. Who tried it said that it works very well, if you can get used to it (it will take up to 21 days). You should feel more refreshed than the "traditional" sleeping. I should try some subliminal tapes, too. the hypnovision ones seems good.

Actually, you'd be amazed what kind of benefits your mood and energy can have just by entering the accelerative learning state several times for a few minutes throughout the day. Lucid dreams, 6 hours of sleep. . .ahh. . .I feel so AWAKE by morning.

#27559 04/12/02 06:43 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Youngprer,

The accelerative learning state is ironically also a meditative state. The more often you enter the state deliberately the more it just happens. Research has shown that instead of only dipping into alpha for 2-3 second every minute the meditator utilises alpha as much as 20sec for every minutes while working at beta.

Meditation doesn't have to be sitting still and emptying the mind. The mind can just as well be put to use with paraliminal tapes... stil verrrrry effective. if you listen to at least 2 tapes a day (about an hour)you'll find sleep reducing naturally. If you want to get to know meditation 15 minutes 3 times a day is a good place to start.

I happen to also envy you. From your post I understand that you're about 13... you have a natural tendenacy to dip into alpha more easily, however you are also at the age whe 'regular' schooling starts collapsing the natural nature of the human mind.From what you describe results of your efforts are showing. Keep up the good work and hang onto that talent.

Alex K

#27560 01/24/03 03:37 PM

Because of the demand of my studies, i have been sleeping only for about 4 or 5 hours a day.
Now, I'm feeling some side effects like my eyes becoming redder or dry and headache.
I'm also afraid that cutting sleep will impair my learning and concentration.
I've read about several conflicting theories about sleeping less, and am now confused.
To anyone who were successful in sleeping less, i have some questions:
1.aside from meditation,
can you give me other tips?
2.won'tcutting on sleep also cuts your
cognitive abilities?
3.how have you managed the side-effects
in the transition to sleeping less?
4. won't sleeping less present damage to
some body cells esp. brain cells?
please help.

shin

#27561 01/24/03 04:57 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Less sleep isn't the answer its getting better organised and using better study skills so that you get what you need to get done during the hours that you have available.

What out for having to do things so perfectly that you spend too much time on them. The book The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Success by Achieving More with Less By Richard Koch is well worth a read, if you find yourself spending too much time on a project.

Mediation and removing stress from your life are the only real effective way to reduce the need of sleep. In some ways you'd be better off getting more sleep not less if you are having trouble with your studies. Let the brain come up with solutions while you sleep. Not getting enough sleep will make learning/studying more difficult and more time consuming than necessary.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved