Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#27734 04/15/02 06:25 PM

Thanks dc21!

I was curious about the same thing as Razor.

While one the subject of NLP, what basic books on NLP would you recommend? As with anything else, there are good and mediocre authors. I just want a basic understanding of the principals as well as some practical application.

Thanks again,

--BReeves

#27735 04/15/02 07:13 PM

CommonSense kept referring to NLP volume 1. Could you please give us some more specific information so that we can identify the book?

Thanks

#27736 04/15/02 07:32 PM

Check out the News Groups too. There are several NLP related groups that practitionars hangout and share experiences, techniques etc. Ther probably are groups on yahoo as well.

There are hundreds of websites out there on NLP and many resources, too many to mention.

When you do a search in google or for use groups do a combo search for NLP and Hypnotherapy. Many NLP practitionars are also Hypnotherapists, I did a search on Hypnotherapist and got more additional NLP resources that didn't come up before on earlier searches.

You may also want to search out groups or individuals in your area that you can get to gether with. They can help you incorporate and learn faster than on your own from a book.

Look for Master NLP practitioners for this as they have more experience and training than lesser skilled individuals.

Other searches that also will give you better results would be for bandler and/or tad james.

Check out the links on the websites as this will be the best referal and give you lots of good resources too.

Hope this helped

#27737 04/15/02 07:37 PM

Tony Robbins is absolutely fabulous! I've begun listening to his program "Personal Power II" and I must say that it is by far the best self improvement program I've ever listened to. Highly recommended!

John

#27738 04/15/02 08:02 PM

Hey Folks!

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I've been in court all day.

Now, let me first say that I am a Master Practitioner of NLP. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about NLP.

I've been studying it for 5 years and have a wealth of info to share. Every bit of it is applicable to the PWMS. And I can tell you what's important to know, and what's not important to know.

So here goes:

>>razordu30
Anybody know where I can find more info about NLP?
Commonsense, I'm looking your direction

>>Also, Tony Robbins: poseur for the NLP wannabes, or hardcore rep of an NLP nation?

**The question is where to find the highest quality explanation. I go to http://www.nlpu.com/ency/index.html

**As to Tony- I like Tony. Good guy. Good integrity. Represents the self-help application accessible to the general public. Studied with the Co-founders. Just doesn't get technical. Any of his books are a fun read. Nothing bad to say - Just not the "academic" some of the other authors are.

>>Also, I have no idea what this means (taken from an older post):
For NLPers - Ve->Ai->Ad->Ki

This is my strategy for knowing that I understand something. I see it (Visual-external) then I say it to myself (Auditory - internal) then I check to compare it to what I already know (Auditory - digital) then I get a feeling inside for knowing (Kinesthetic - internal).

>>BReeves
While one the subject of NLP, what basic books on NLP would you recommend? As with anything else, there are good and mediocre authors. I just want a basic understanding of the principals as well as some practical application.

"Tony Robbins - Unlimited Power": Goes through the modeling process, rapport, submodalities, etc..

"Richard Bandler - Using Your Brain for a Change": Goes more over submodalities. A fun read.

"Steve and Connirae Andreas - Heart of the Mind": Gives a live demonstration of playing around with rep systems or modalities, submodalities, values and metaprograms. In my opinion, Steve and Connirae are some of the best.

Gosh, there are so many more books.

>>Moises
CommonSense kept referring to NLP volume 1. Could you please give us some more specific information so that we can identify the book?
Thanks

Sure. The title of the book is, "NLP: Volume One" by Richard Bandler, John Grinder, Judith Delozier and Robert Dilts

I believe you can still buy it used although I think it is out of print. Try NLPU.COM to buy it.

Throw me some more questions.

Go here and read the section on representational systems. It will explain. Or just ask - I'll explain it if it gets to technical. http://webspace.flypaper.com/~1457/html3/R47.html

Or strategies http://webspace.flypaper.com/~1457/html3/StSy19.html

Good luck, and...
CommonSense

#27739 04/16/02 04:07 PM

Well after Commonsense's post what can I say.

I first heard of NLP techniques from a set of tapes by Jack Canfield on Self Esteem and Peak Performance. I don't think he ever use NLP as a title, but that's one of the techniques he describes.

About 10 years later I got the Personal Power tapes, for $5 at a church book sale. I had thought of buying the book about 10 years earlier, but a friend said it taught you how to manipulate people so I stayed away. It's true that you can use the knowledge to manipulate people but most knowledge can be used that way.

Anthony Robbins does talk about NLP, and a little more with his Modelling technique. There are lots and lots of information and tips, that are not valuable to me, just as in the PR course and exercises. We each need a little something different to get us to the common goal, and so the authors put everything they think is important into the matterial. For me there was one idea in the exercises on personal goal setting that was absolutely essential. You won't need it but I'll share it anyways. The idea was that your goals (dreams, desires) must be in harmony with your personal values. If they are not, then a part of you will stop you from achieving your goals.

The most important thing when travelling down the road to success is getting pass the roadblocks, and being able to identify them is key to getting pass them.

*Kicks himself in the butt* Now I have to go and practice PR.

[This message has been edited by Iam2 (edited April 16, 2002).]

#27740 04/17/02 05:17 AM

Not to blast anything posted here but I didn't even understand the first thing about NLP (even after going to Mastery University, which was a complete waste) until I got the Illusion Conclusion Course by Jerry Stocking- www.jerrystocking.com and coincidentally I'm selling mine on ebay because I'm done with it.

Using nlp to "GET" something is pretty much useless but using it to learn about yourself and how you think so you can start to strip those useless thoughts away, it's pretty good for that. What Tony Robbins does is "self-get" not "self help." If you really wanted to help yourself you would throw out all the useless junk in your life and enjoy the space created, not clutter your mind with more garbage that takes up more room and creates more pressure than was there in the first place. The best thing about NLP is the "Patterns" thingy. All the other stuff is for GETTING stuff but you all know already that to get PR to work you have to strip away the 90% of the book that you don't want. Do that with life too. Kick the morons out of your life, and you have a pretty good life without having to do anything, don't you?

"Thinking Clearly" by Jerry Stocking is a pretty cool book as is his Illusions course. I've getting into his advanced stuff now in the time I have when I'm not throwing another parasite out of my life. As you can tell, I've almost thrown the internet out too but I figure a day a week won't kill me.

#27741 04/17/02 01:47 PM

Sorry you had a bad experience with Tony's stuff. I've only read his books and used his PPII. I have found them both to be good tools for pushing yourself out of "the box".

As far as NLP, Mastery University may be a waste of money and time. I have no idea. If it didn't work for you than it didn't work for you. I believe it is suffice to say, Mastery University in no way is representative of all of NLP, its trainers, or the many thousands that find it worthwhile for making their lives better and better understanding how to acquire or refine their own skills.

Understanding the patterns of NLP is not NLP. NLP is an attitude of curiosity that leaves a "trail of techniques" and patterns. NLP is, at its core, a (not the only) way of modelling the skills of others. Eliciting the skills from someone else is about becoming excellent at anything you do in life.

Anyway, I was a little offended by your post. But, I probably shouldn't be. I don't defend the choices I make - I'm just happy that I learn from my mistakes.

Good luck in your ability to cut out parasites in your life. I wish you well in your journey.

Good luck, and...
CommonSense

quote:
Originally posted by LordOfEarth:
Not to blast anything posted here but I didn't even understand the first thing about NLP (even after going to Mastery University, which was a complete waste) until I got the Illusion Conclusion Course by Jerry Stocking- www.jerrystocking.com and coincidentally I'm selling mine on ebay because I'm done with it.

Using nlp to "GET" something is pretty much useless but using it to learn about yourself and how you think so you can start to strip those useless thoughts away, it's pretty good for that. What Tony Robbins does is "self-get" not "self help." If you really wanted to help yourself you would throw out all the useless junk in your life and enjoy the space created, not clutter your mind with more garbage that takes up more room and creates more pressure than was there in the first place. The best thing about NLP is the "Patterns" thingy. All the other stuff is for GETTING stuff but you all know already that to get PR to work you have to strip away the 90% of the book that you don't want. Do that with life too. Kick the morons out of your life, and you have a pretty good life without having to do anything, don't you?

"Thinking Clearly" by Jerry Stocking is a pretty cool book as is his Illusions course. I've getting into his advanced stuff now in the time I have when I'm not throwing another parasite out of my life. As you can tell, I've almost thrown the internet out too but I figure a day a week won't kill me.

#27742 04/17/02 03:40 PM

You see, we both ran our patterns. I couldn't help but run the "poor me" one and you ran the "hey, it works" one. It's just like clockwork.

I've bought (at one time or another) every NLP product sold by Nightingale/Conant in addition to Tony and Jerry Stocking so if that isn't "all there is" then I've been royally scammed or they keep changing and adding stuff to keep the sales of NLP stuff going.

I've been doing NLP since 1993 and honestly if Paul's sales pitch about PR didn't include the "NLP" thing, I would have looked past it. I was interested in seeing how it could be used in reading.

Tony basically combined NLP with public speaking the way Jim Rohn did it. My problem with Tony is just that his seminars are EXACTLY like his books, no more but alot less. After going I could have kicked myself because it's basically a warm bath that wears off. Not a "bad" experience but very eye opening. There's more in "Unlimited Power" than his seminars so that's good news for anyone that hasn't been to one of them because now they don't have to go.

If you need to force yourself to do something (like sales or martial arts- Tony uses those examples) then isn't that a clue that you really should do something else? Something that you don't have to drive yourself to do? I know people that are striving to become musicians and they don't even look as if they like it anymore but they won't give it up and find something they REALLY like. According to Tony and every other self help guru- I'm an idiot that will never succeed but to myself, I've figured it out.

I think most people that get into NLP use it accidentally to separate themselves from everyone else and they try to 'use' it on everyone else instead of themselves. And when we do use it on ourselves we're trying to make a change- lose weight, work more, be nicer, quit smoking or whatever. As I said, I pretty much filed NLP into the "really coold but don't do much" drawer of my mind until someone showed me how to use it to tear your personality (your identity) apart until there's nothing there. As you can see by the fact that I haven't transcended the need to argue on the internet- it's an ongoing process. Of course, some people still say that you can walk across coals and it's done for you, it isn't.

NLP is like anything else. As a whole, it's a huge science. You can't just cover it in a weekend or even a month. But it's also like a martial art. There are moves you learn that you would never do in reality because there are better choices you can make. The situation calls for what's appropriate to use and in NLP what's most appropriate most of the time are just a few things that actually do something. It's certainly nothing to get identified with. God, could you imagine what PR would be like if Paul made NLP the focus of the course? It would suck because we'd all be doing stuff for the sake of following a certain theory spouted by someone long ago instead of doing what worked to get a result. But he used it the way it worked and used ONLY what worked and that's combined with another purpose. I thought it was cool what Paul did with NLP and his PR course. I think that he should have gone furthure with the NLP and PR instead of doing Genius Code the way he did but oh well, we could always use NLP as we image stream.

Also, I didn't mean to offend you but it kinda goes with the territory of saying something mean about NLP. I used it to sell Life Insurance and it didn't work. If I were to use it to sell cookies it would work, or would it be the fact that people WANT cookies? You see, if you just sell something people want, you don't have to really do much of anything, much less use NLP on them. Used on yourself, it's very interesting. It's kind of funny though, even at that you can only analyze thoughts when you're "awake" to them in the first place. So you have to be awake to catch them and break down the A,V,K of them. If you're not awake you miss it and just go along with them but if you're awake to them and don't break them down the result is the same if you're awake and do break them down, so, what't he NLP for other than it's something interesting that gets us interested in doing other stuff?

[This message has been edited by LordOfEarth (edited April 17, 2002).]

#27743 04/18/02 05:02 AM

Thoughtful response. I understand.

Thanks Lord of Earth.

quote:
Originally posted by LordOfEarth:
You see, we both ran our patterns. I couldn't help but run the "poor me" one and you ran the "hey, it works" one. It's just like clockwork.

I've bought (at one time or another) every NLP product sold by Nightingale/Conant in addition to Tony and Jerry Stocking so if that isn't "all there is" then I've been royally scammed or they keep changing and adding stuff to keep the sales of NLP stuff going.

I've been doing NLP since 1993 and honestly if Paul's sales pitch about PR didn't include the "NLP" thing, I would have looked past it. I was interested in seeing how it could be used in reading.

Tony basically combined NLP with public speaking the way Jim Rohn did it. My problem with Tony is just that his seminars are EXACTLY like his books, no more but alot less. After going I could have kicked myself because it's basically a warm bath that wears off. Not a "bad" experience but very eye opening. There's more in "Unlimited Power" than his seminars so that's good news for anyone that hasn't been to one of them because now they don't have to go.

If you need to force yourself to do something (like sales or martial arts- Tony uses those examples) then isn't that a clue that you really should do something else? Something that you don't have to drive yourself to do? I know people that are striving to become musicians and they don't even look as if they like it anymore but they won't give it up and find something they REALLY like. According to Tony and every other self help guru- I'm an idiot that will never succeed but to myself, I've figured it out.

I think most people that get into NLP use it accidentally to separate themselves from everyone else and they try to 'use' it on everyone else instead of themselves. And when we do use it on ourselves we're trying to make a change- lose weight, work more, be nicer, quit smoking or whatever. As I said, I pretty much filed NLP into the "really coold but don't do much" drawer of my mind until someone showed me how to use it to tear your personality (your identity) apart until there's nothing there. As you can see by the fact that I haven't transcended the need to argue on the internet- it's an ongoing process. Of course, some people still say that you can walk across coals and it's done for you, it isn't.

NLP is like anything else. As a whole, it's a huge science. You can't just cover it in a weekend or even a month. But it's also like a martial art. There are moves you learn that you would never do in reality because there are better choices you can make. The situation calls for what's appropriate to use and in NLP what's most appropriate most of the time are just a few things that actually do something. It's certainly nothing to get identified with. God, could you imagine what PR would be like if Paul made NLP the focus of the course? It would suck because we'd all be doing stuff for the sake of following a certain theory spouted by someone long ago instead of doing what worked to get a result. But he used it the way it worked and used ONLY what worked and that's combined with another purpose. I thought it was cool what Paul did with NLP and his PR course. I think that he should have gone furthure with the NLP and PR instead of doing Genius Code the way he did but oh well, we could always use NLP as we image stream.

Also, I didn't mean to offend you but it kinda goes with the territory of saying something mean about NLP. I used it to sell Life Insurance and it didn't work. If I were to use it to sell cookies it would work, or would it be the fact that people WANT cookies? You see, if you just sell something people want, you don't have to really do much of anything, much less use NLP on them. Used on yourself, it's very interesting. It's kind of funny though, even at that you can only analyze thoughts when you're "awake" to them in the first place. So you have to be awake to catch them and break down the A,V,K of them. If you're not awake you miss it and just go along with them but if you're awake to them and don't break them down the result is the same if you're awake and do break them down, so, what't he NLP for other than it's something interesting that gets us interested in doing other stuff?

[This message has been edited by LordOfEarth (edited April 17, 2002).]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved