Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27938 04/30/02 04:26 PM
nickuk Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Everybody!
Have been using the PR book since september, and have noticed definite (but modest) improvements in my reading speed and comprehension. However, as a med-student, I have a lot of new words (eg drug names etc) to get to grips with in a short space of time. Does anybody have any hints for this? How have other PR'rs tackled this problem?
Cheers!
Nick

ps what's the most impressive thing any of you have done using PR?

#27939 04/30/02 07:55 PM

I'm not sure that my strategies would work for someone in med school. I'm in political science and in this field conceptual understanding usually helps you to remember the term or word you need to know. I do know that PR is great for large ammounts of info, though. A few quarters back I waited until the last few days to do the HUGE readings for Polisci 546. I was able to PR them in just a little time per day and got an A- in the course. I've done that in a lot of other classes too...

#27940 09/26/03 04:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stevenplaat:
I'm in political science and in this field conceptual understanding usually helps you to remember the term or word you need to know.

Greetings Stevenplaat,
I too am a PoliSci major & I have several PoliSci courses this semester...My ? to u is how would you define conceptual understanding in general & for topics in IR & Comp. Poli?

#27941 09/27/03 12:23 AM

Are there any other Poli Sci majors out there? Would love to chat & mind probe with you.

#27942 09/27/03 01:08 AM

Nickuk, I haven't been in your situtation, but if I were then here's what I'd try.

PR the Chapter. Do an activation pass to identify the NEW stuff. Not understand it, just identify it.

Possible questions:

1) What are the major treatments presented.
2) What are the major maladies being addressed.
3) What are the new drugs or procedures presented.
4) What are the outcomes of the treatments.

I would suggest only have a couple of questions, if it is loaded with new material. Try and keep the question going from general to specific. Or non-comprehension type questions like listing the newly introduced drugs, or find all the words I haven't seen before. I think you should get good results that way.

Then add passes to fill in the details.

Again, that just what I would try. It's not the voice or experience. I'm pretty sure it would work for me, since in new technical books that how I treat the material and I have good success.

Happy NOPSing.
Sending love,
Iam2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved