Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
AdamP Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi. I'm a college freshman about to finish the year and am getting ready for my sophomore research project. I'm in the honors program at my school and we are able (although some would rather not, so i guess we are required) to work individually with a professor over two trimesters (20 weeks) on any topic in any subject that we choose, preferably outside of our major. I can get as much money as I need if I can convince the board to give it to me. As there are no requirements for this, I am free to do it in any way that I feel is best (as long as my advisor is ok with it).

I was first introduced to the realities of reading beyond the level taught in elementary school when my mother purchased the evelyn wood speed reading book on tapes in my junior year of high school which I listened to and without devoting time just to practicing drills (i only read required material and some books that I had been interested in) I was able to read 1500wpm which was great for me because it meant that I could do a weeks worth of reading for history in a night. Since that time I have not read a single book using the old method. I got the photoreading book at the end of my senior year and the home learning course in the beginning of my freshman year here. I found the tapes a lot nicer as I could close my eyes and relax as instructed without having to open them to see what to do next.

Though I have listened to all of the tapes, I have not completely studied the course. Since listening to the tapes, I have photoread just about all of my reading material before using typical speedreading in the sections I need. What I really wanted was someone to learn the program with. I had the tapes in my dorm room and a tape player. I listened to most of the tapes one weekend when my roommate was at home and when he came back I was listening ot the memory supercharger as directed every day for the rest of the week. For some reason he was absolutely disinterested with photoreading and insisted on falling asleep to the paraliminal tape instead of listening to it. He also refused to listen to the course tapes and would leave the room while I was listening to them. I thought this was really strange since I was so into it since I first heard about it on a message board. I even spent $250 to get these tapes and he wouldnt even listen to them when they were right there available to him for free. Thinking that my roommate was simply an idiot, I went to other people in my dorm (it's a small dorm, <50 people) and offered to let them listen to my tapes. Everyone refused. I even tried brining my tape player into someone elses room but was kicked out after about 3 minutes. The closest I got was a new guy who came the beginning of the third trimseter who listened to the entire side A of tape one and started side two. When I left the room during his photoreading of the dictionary he stopped listening. I let him keep the tapes and my tapeplayer in his room for a week after that and he never got around to listening to them (although he had plenty of time to play games).

Because I have found it so difficult to find people willing to give photoreading a chance here at my school I began to wonder if it would be too difficult to find test subjects to watch go through the process of learning ot photoread.

I discovered photoreading on a message board for INTP personality types based on the Myer's Brigg's Type Indicator (MBTI) which is Introversion, iNtuition, Thinking, Percieving. I couldnt find a url for a good site with a test, but this one has one where you pretty much judge yourself instead of take a test:
http://www.personalitytype.com/quiz.html

According to MBTI, INTPs are only 1% of the population. Since the message boards where I discovered photoreading was so excited about it, I thought there might be a corrolation between personality type and enthusiasm over photoreading.

I decided to combine these two topics for my Project:

1) Give people personality test
2) offer to teach them photoreading
3) watch their progress in photoreading

Maybe I can go to a photoreading seminar or get a group to go. That would be fun.

Also, any talented photoreaders in the capital region of NY that want to come visit my campus next fall?

Thanks for reading this, I am really excited about this project now. I am going to do that 10 books a day thing now.

Adam

Sounds like a very facinating project. I am new to photoreading myself. I just purchased the book because I can't afford the kit, but the book is very interesting.

anyway, let us know how it all works out.

thats funny i'm doing a research paper on photoreading for Eng. lol
anyway don't worry about the other people in your dorm not wanting to listen, most people would rather do nothing than learn something new that will help them....its funny if you where to really sit down and tell them how much easier studying will be once they learn to use the system they get excited, but when they realize they have to practice for while to get the steps right most want to quit.Human nature is a funny thing.
hope it works out for you in your experiment.
-tony

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved