Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline

Thanks for all your support. Margaret, I will do the exercises you suggested. Thanks again. I will return with results.

OP Offline

One question: What should I be looking for when I activate the material? Words looking familiar, comprehension of unknown topic? Do I pick up words that jump out at me? If someone can give me the feeling of gelling, maybe I can expedite the achievement of goals. Thanks in advance.

Administrator
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by SDstudent:
One question: What should I be looking for when I activate the material? Words looking familiar, comprehension of unknown topic? Do I pick up words that jump out at me? If someone can give me the feeling of gelling, maybe I can expedite the achievement of goals. Thanks in advance.

The aim of activation is to comprehend the material. IE to able to understand what the book is about. So having the book gel is simply the feeling that goes with... 'oh I know that', or 'now I get it', or 'ahhh I see'.

What should you look for? Answers to your trigger words.. the words that you listed in the preview. Most of those words came from subhead or headings. If the book didn't have any you would have selected words that appeared frequently... you noticed them because they're there so often.

You turn them into questions. An example from the photoreading book Subheading - Probe your Mind, for trigger words, you might have written probe mind... that enough. Now you could then ask 'What is mind probing?' or 'How does on mind probe?' etc

During your activation session you'd be looking for that answer by superreading and dipping. Because you Photoread the book you'll be surprised how fast you can locate the answer. You should manage to answer 3 to 5 questions per 20 minute session, this way... more as you get better at asking questions and looking for answers.

It also helps if you're familar with the authors style. That why it pays to preview the book read front and back cover, have a general idea of what the book is about, etc.

People with good comprehension skill notice the extreme wording. So practice looking out for them, pay attention when you see the words like - not, never, where, every, always, rarely, only etc. All these words are cues that what was written before them has been changed. Like a rule has just been given and heres the exception.

Good readers notice extreme wording instinctively. However when learning to photoread we often overlook what we knew instinctively and it takes us a few books to fall back into it.

If you don't do mind maps... make notes in the way that you feel comfortable with. This too will immensely help you with activation. In fact this is most probably the most important thing you can do for activation.
(notice extreme wording *most* & *important* )

There are plently more ideas for activation. Start with these and see how you go.

Alex

SD,
You ask: If someone can give me the feeling of gelling.. Get relaxed and go over your experiences of when you first learned to ride a bike or when you first learned a sport. That's the feeling. More specifically, that's YOUR particular feeling for learning Look for the same thing w/ activating in PhRing.

Next you ask: What should I be looking for when I activate the material?. You are beginning to scare me You are looking for the material to make sense Do you know when you are hungry? Do you know when you have to pee? Do you know when you are happy? Do you know when you know?

TAKE A SMALL BOOK. TAKE A LITTLE BOOK OF 200 PAGES OR LESS. TAKE A BOOK THAT IS FACTUAL IN SOME WAY. PHOTOREAD IT AND ACTIVATE IT----TILL YOU KNOW YOU KNOW IT.

Once you do that, you'd better practice on a bunch of other small books till you actually know what you are doing. LISTEN, YOU CAN'T JUST ACTIVATE ONE BOOK AND THINK THAT'S IT. It takes time and practice so that you eventually figure out how to do it.

ANYONE WHO WANTS TO ACTIVATE W/O MIND MAPPING OR W/O ANY NOTES IS CRAZY. And even after that it takes some review to retain it.

PLEASE GET AN EASY SHORT BOOK TO ACTIVATE.

SD PLEASE RECLAIM YOUR BRAIN AND SENSE OF CONQUERING AND CHALLENGE. DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED BY PHOTOREADING AND ACTIVATING. YOU ARE MAKING IT HARDER THAN IT ACTUALLY IS. LOOK AT THAT LITTLE BOOK AND TAKE CHARGE OF IT. KICK IT IN THE BUTT AND IF IT TAKES YOU 2 WEEKS TO ACTIVATE IT, THEN DO IT. THEN DO ANOTHER LITTLE BOOK AND KICK IT IN THE BUTT AND IF IT TAKES YOU 10 DAYS TO ACTIVATE IT...DO IT.

If i was standing in front of you, i'd shake you out of your shoes to wake you up. Please read: TAMING YOUR GREMLIN by Richard Carson. It is mentioned in Paul's bibliography and it speaks to your present condition.

YOUR GREMLIN IS REALLY SABOTAGING YOUR ABILITY TO ACTIVATE AND VERY PROBABLY OTHER THINGS AS WELL.

one last little note, SD

when people like you have the blocks you have, you are meant to struggle because that struggle will somehow be used by you to help others in the future

perhaps you are meant to not only be a doctor but a teacher as well

keep posting till you "get it" and don't give up...not now or ever...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved