Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#29382 07/07/02 05:45 AM
MarkP4 Offline OP
OP Offline

I got a hold of some speedreading books with reading comprehension tests in them. I'm going to run all 5 steps on them and let the scores speak for themselves.
I'll do one test a day (or less) to allow for the 24 hour activation. My criteria is 60% to pass and I'm not giving myself any more time to activate than it would take to just flat out rapid read it.

"Super Reading Secrets" Howard Berg, 3 practice tests pgs 208-231

test 1, Photoreading and Skittering, 40%
test 2, Photoreading and Superreading without dipping, 60%
Test 3, Photoreading and Rapid Reading, 80%

I was just warming up with those.

"SpeedReading the Easy way" H. Berg,

Time Challenge, p 144-147
Chemistry
No test, just timing
Rapid Read- 1 min 20 seconds
Preview, PR, SR/Dip (X3)- 1 min 8 seconds
Winner: Photoreading

Page 120-142 Characteristics and Relationships of Life- Biology
Aprox 6500 words
20 minutes for 5 steps, 2 Activation passes
Comes out to 320 words per minute
15 fill in blank and short essay questions
6 correct
40%

Page 249, Law and Legal System
14 Pages
Preview/PR 2 minutes
SR/Dip over and over for 5 minutes
5000 words divide by 7 minutes = 714 wpm
12 Fill in blank Q's
5 out of 12 = 41%
4 Essay Q's
2 out of 4 = 50%

Page 268 Intro to Electronics, 25 pages
WPM immpossible to deturmine due to tons of graphs.
3 Activation Passes, did not time myself
20 fill in blank and short answer essay Q's
6 correct = 30%
not surprised, it was immpossible to understand, even my inner mind was going, "Huh?"

Page 294, 12 pages of Anatomy and Physiology
3900 words, counting graphs and tables and text around and within
8 minutes total time, 2 passes Activation
3900 in 8 minutes = 487.5 wpm
50 Fill in blank, 13 correct = 26%
25 Multi Choice, 14 Correct = 56%
25 T&F, 16 correct, 64%

I'm only getting started. I know these were not actual books but they were chapter sized reading selections and I did photoread the questions beforehand. I'm trying to get this "Inner mind, tell me where to dip" thing going.

See how you slow down on harder stuff? That's how it should be.

x Offline

Very interesting.

MarkP4 Offline OP
OP Offline

Fastest speed so far has been 714 wpm and the only time I got a decent grade was when I rapid read. I know you all think I'm just making all this up. Test results don't lie.

I'm almost done with the tests in TOny Buzan's book which are all true false and I forced myself with a timer to be done at around 1250 wpm and I'm rarely getting over 60%. There' not as hard as these previous ones, I'm just trying to get the inner mind recognition thing going like the guy on the infomercial.

Interesting.

What was your purpose/outcome statement for each book?

Exactly what were the Mind Probing questions you wrote down before each activation pass and each Rapid Reading pass for each book?

How many layers of branches did you put on your Mind Map for each book?

Administrator
Administrator

MarkP4,
I have to congratulate you on your attempt to test photoreading. At least you are prepared to challenge it and are successfully proving yourself right.

You've tested yourself on articles that are relatively short. If your copies are layed out as are in mine the numbered lines (an unnessary distraction), intended to be a perfect width and size etc. They are not even that great for testing speed reading.

I personally have not used them for self testing because they are;
1 too short (7000 words at the most) I don't even get warmed up for photoreading that...
2 designed for practice of reading
3 Horrible formatting... inlays that are justified with the text on the right side and extend 1 1/4" over the justified body copy on the left. (Ok some books are that bad too but magazine articles of the same lenght are more appealing visually)
4. Pretty boring articles and if they are interesting topics... too short, they all seem to be extracts from textbooks, I'd have to hunt down more information elsewhere so I don't even get involved in the articles.
5. Too large a font and because its justified too gappy

OK so that's my reason for not using these tests.

I personally feel that the tests you are using are more practical for getting a hold of 'exam nerves'. And as such would of necessity slow you down.

I admire you for testing photoreading in this way. I hope you don't mind me asking you some questions.

Did you really go into the accelerative learning state (used the tangerine) to read that in photofocus? You flipped 12 to maybe 20 pages even if you included the self examination questions for each test.

Considering that are you happy with your results?

Did you find the articles interesting? If not..

Do you feel that you would have had the same or better results from magazine articles that personally interested you?

Alex

MarkP4 Offline OP
OP Offline

I used the same questions in the PR book, "What is my ultimate application of this material?" etc

Exactly what were the Mind Probing questions you wrote down before each activation pass and each Rapid Reading pass for each book?

I PR'd and read the actual test questions.

If I actually did the mind maps I would have spent 5 times the time. I used speedreading tests because that's what Paul said he did on the tapes. I'm "modelling."

Accelerated Learning State, I used it but didn't count it in total time spent. If I did, just like the mind maps, it would have sent the wpm through the floor.

Most of the reading I do is in short bursts (at work) and I have literally minutes to know it. I am not particularly interested in the stuff I have to read for work nor was I interested in these tests, but they were realistic.

A book is nothing more than a group of related "short" articles, called chapters and if Photoreading can't be tested on speedreading tests that are similar to chapters and other realistic reading assignments that pop up in actual reality then how should I test it? I already tested it on 2 years of college and every book I own and everything that looked good in the library.

I'm working on the tests in Tony Buzan's book right now, they're all True and false questions.

MarkP4 Offline OP
OP Offline

Oops...

Did you really go into the accelerative learning state (used the tangerine) to read that in photofocus? You flipped 12 to maybe 20 pages even if you included the self examination questions for each test.

Yes, as I understand it that's something you can't skip and I did multiple Pr passes too.

Considering that are you happy with your results?

Um, no.

Did you find the articles interesting? If not..

Actually yes and I've skipped tests with junk in it I don't care about.

Do you feel that you would have had the same or better results from magazine articles that personally interested you.

Yes but in the real world my boss doesn't throw me a copy of Muscle Media and tell me to get in his office in 5 minutes with a full report. That would be nice. I use the purposes and questions to wake myself up and get me motivated to learn something new. As I understand it you have to do that anyway. Sometimes I have to read about things that have nothing to do with my department.

quote:
Originally posted by MarkP4:

I used the same questions in the PR book, "What is my ultimate application of this material?" etc

Good. Did you include the outcome you want to have by acquiring the knowledge in those books?

quote:

I PR'd and read the actual test questions.

You can do that, but that is not the correct way to create Mind Probing questions.

When you PhotoRead a group of questions, just like when taking an exam, be sure to give yourself the affirmations Paul Scheele gave for using your whole mind for test-taking.

quote:
If I actually did the mind maps I would have spent 5 times the time.

How do you expect to increase your speed if you won't take time to slow down and improve how you are doing the basic steps?

quote:
I used speedreading tests because that's what Paul said he did on the tapes. I'm "modelling."

Accelerated Learning State, I used it but didn't count it in total time spent. If I did, just like the mind maps, it would have sent the wpm through the floor.

Most of the reading I do is in short bursts (at work) and I have literally minutes to know it. I am not particularly interested in the stuff I have to read for work nor was I interested in these tests, but they were realistic.

A book is nothing more than a group of related "short" articles, called chapters and if Photoreading can't be tested on speedreading tests that are similar to chapters and other realistic reading assignments that pop up in actual reality then how should I test it? I already tested it on 2 years of college and every book I own and everything that looked good in the library.

Consider how real learning is not based upon a words-per-minute requirement.

quote:
I'm working on the tests in Tony Buzan's book right now, they're all True and false questions.

Let us know how it works for you.

Interesting and informative results, I am interested in what speed reading course you used to reach that level. Appreciate if you could feedback on how you manage to speed read so fast.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved