Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

I'm currently finishing up my second year in med school (osteopathic medicine, a little different from osteopathy down under) and will be getting the results from the osteopathic board exams any day now, for which I spent about three plus weeks studying for. Now, considering the fact that I have a learning disability in the area of transfering inforation into long-term memory, that's not a long time to prepare for a two-day, 800-question exam.

Essentially, I PRed everything I was using as text, and then did a slower version of super-reading/skittering. I still PR everything that I have to study (granted that isn't much right now) and then go back over it, but I seem to be getting something out of it, as evidenced by the fact that I am actually passing my emergency medicine class for which I have at least 50 pages to read each night to be prepared for a quiz before we get lectured to. Give me a few days and I'll let you all know how it went for the board exams.
Bill

OP Offline

Thanks for your post Bill! 'Tis encouraging to hear that the system is working for others out there. Renews me to "Stay with it" as Paul Scheele would say.

All the best for your board exams! What is 'osteopathy'? - so far haven't come across that term here. And you didn't mention where abouts in the world you are studying. Would be interested in hearing about the structure of your course.

Later,
Prynceska

I am probably not the best person to answer your question, but as a pre-med student, I might as well.

Osteopathic medicine is currently practiced all over the United States. Many of the physicians that work in hospitals are D.O.'s, although you may not know it. They are in essence, the equivalent of an M.D. by legal concern. However, there is much prejudice against them in the medical community, due to the fact that it uses a different approach, and that many have a better chance of being accepted to an osteopathic school rather than an allopathic one.

Doctors of Osteopathy focus on a more holistic approach to healing patients. Rather than trying to fix one sole aspect of the physical problem, they concentrate on the person overall to manipulate and promote the body's innate ability of recovery and protection. They focus on the body's structure, and how that essentially relates to the patient's function.

"Many of osteopathic medicine’s manipulative techniques are aimed at reducing or eliminating the impediments to proper structure and function so the self-healing mechanism can assume its role in restoring the person to health." (AACOM)

OP Offline

Thanks AssemblerCT!

Sorry for so long in replying. I have been quite busy the past few days and I do not always have access to the internet.
C/CO stands for Chief Complaint. H&P stands for History and Physical.
Tx= treatment or transfusion
Hx= history
ix= 9

Devin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved