Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#29625 07/25/02 05:39 AM

Ah, but you were, Mark! You were on the good side of the Force. You were trying to train to become a Jedi, as a Padawan learner in the ways of the Force.

Growing tired and bitter, you have become seduced by the darkside!

#29626 07/25/02 03:18 PM
MarkP4 Offline OP
OP Offline

You are no Jedi, for you have used the word TRY.

Um, isn't Direct Learning the quick and easy path?

By the way, I'm returning Reading Genius because I can still beat it with normal speedreading. Anchoring the states with the music is pretty cool but I'd rather anchor the states with my own music.

I do think RG is fast but as a wise man once said, "If you're already in Chicago, you don't have to take a bus to get there."

Scan, PR, Rapid Read, done. I cannot beat that.

There's no harm in at least trying what other people are doing and being open minded. RG's is worth stealing a few techniques from.

[This message has been edited by MarkP4 (edited July 25, 2002).]

#29627 07/25/02 09:44 PM

Yoda used the word try in Episode II, buddy. Sorry.

#29628 07/26/02 03:08 PM

samuel jackson as a jedi is nearly just as bad as the "matrix-evil-agent-guy" as an elf in lotr.

#29629 07/26/02 03:51 PM
MarkP4 Offline OP
OP Offline

Oh, yeah. Now I remember, "Not to get your ****ing hand chopped off you will try."

#29630 07/29/02 05:58 AM
MarkP4 Offline OP
OP Offline

I have an idea. I want to get the Genius Code course.

I'll mail you 10% of the cost of the course and you send me the course. You take the money and "activate" it. Write a list of "trigger funds" that you could invest the money in. Then take the money and say what your purpose for investing would be. Write a list of questions on how you will go about investing. How much money do you want this to become? Place a dollar bill on the back of your head and chant to yourself, "As I invest my transactions are absolute" "All that I invest makes a lasting impression on my account and is available to me." Then, actively invest and turn this money into more money. Close the process with a sense of mastery. Realize that money grows in layers. You don't always make a great return your first time so you may have to return to the bank again and again to achieve the level of growth you are after.

Hey, if we have to do it this way, so should you.

We got a deal?

#29631 07/29/02 06:40 AM
Mtt Offline

MarkP4, I wanna be open-minded about things. Could the methods of PhotoReading and Reading Genius be combined? I mean use the steps of PR, and maybe use methods of RG, possibly to improve activation. Paul suggests several different methods of activation in his book, but he doesn't say they were the only methods, just the methods that work for most people.

#29632 07/31/02 06:04 PM
MarkP4 Offline OP
OP Offline

It would be easier if you did PR within the RG steps. They seem to fit right in there.

I think that both courses are specific tools for specific types of reading. We wouldn't use a hammer to try and get out a 5mm allen bolt.

My problem has always been I always want a high level of detail and to understand as I go so as I learn more it's always on a foundation of what I learned before. I think PR is *ss backwards but for some people that's exactly what they need.

All reading systems (without any exception, PR, RG etc) in my opinion are a knee-jerk reaction to the amount of garbage that is thrown in our face nowadays. If you have to do allot of research for any reason, which is just weeding through the junk to get at what you need, I think that any and all reading systems are fine. But once you've found what you need you can't "speed-learn" it. If you have a strong purpose then find several books that cover it in detail and thoroughly instead of shallow books with "90%" fluff.

There's a difference between "reading" and "understanding." Reading is easy. You can read slow and not remember anything and you can read fast and not remember anything. For what it's worth it's better to read fast if those are your only 2 choices. But "understanding" is different.

In language schools (not like I'd really know but I've heard from people that went) they always use the term "tourist" level which means the bottom of the barrel level of knowledge. "Where is the bathroom" "Where can I exchange my money" etc. It's all literal and surface communication. The other term is "UN Translator" in other words "what does this group really mean and how can I state that in a way where the other group will understand it?" It's the highest level of understanding a language.

Fast reading can only give Tourist level information. It's gathering info, it's research reading. You are not reading into the information, you are going after what you want. My main concern has always been "what is this author going to tell me that I don't know?" That's what I want, new stuff. I like the uncertainty and confusion because it means I'm learning and not rehearsing.

Besides, who told us we have to read fast? Chances are it was an advertisement. It took me 2.5 years to figure that out and I'm glad it didn't take me 25.

#29633 07/31/02 07:26 PM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

I PhotoRead a lot. Sometimes, when I get a really good PhotoRead or when an activation session really turns me on, I'll immediately go to rapid reading. I'll read the entire book. Sometimes I'm zipping through at high speeds and other times I'm re-reading a paragraph because I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time.

Going through all of the words consciously is one way to process a book. And it is a different experience from using the full PhotoReading system. Most of the time, I'm not interested in spending much time with a book--or with the author. I have other priorities. I simply want the information.

I can get all of the details from books I could possibly want with the PhotoReading system in a fraction of the time it would take reading regular. Even technical books filled with new information.

Do I want speed? No. I want information.

Do I want all information? No. I want useful information that meets my purpose. And, I would prefer understanding to raw information.

I get that with PhotoReading.

I've done the other programs, and I think PhotoReading is by far the best. If I thought something from another course was better, we would have incorporated it into our course, one way or another.

If someone likes Reading Genius better, fantastic. The purpose of these programs is to make life easier and more fulfilling.

I don't always dis other programs. I like some that are competitive to our other programs.

Like our Million Dollar Vocabulary. I think it is head and shoulders better than the Verbal Advantage program. But I have a lot of respect for VA, and I often recommend their program as an adjunct to ours. Founder Phil Bonnell was just over for a visit a couple of weeks ago to share thoughts and ideas.

Same for our EasyLearn Language Programs. Colin Rose's programs, which are available through Nightingale-Conant, are excellent. I often tell people to use his programs as the next step.

Sometimes it bugs me when someone doesn't get PhotoReading, because it is superbly powerful and useful, but everyone is different. To those that don't get it, please don't try to rob others of their experiences or successes just because yours is different.

Love makes the world go round, diversity keeps it interesting, and tolerance keeps it on its axis.

#29634 08/01/02 05:17 AM
MarkP4 Offline OP
OP Offline

Why didn't you say any of this before? I thought I was abnormal because I wanted to Rapid Read so soon but everyone else was harping on the other steps, which I used at times but I thought I was the only one in the world that couldn't get it to work so I start looking in all the other programs and books.

If what I say is robbing others of their successes then why did it take someone like me to finally get you to say what you finally said? I don't know if I speak for anyone else but I'm shocked and relieved at everything you said because it's what I've been doing while feeling that I'm not doing it right.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved