Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#29754 07/23/02 07:35 AM
Administrator
Administrator

It seems to me it doesn't, Ramon. I could say something about the sermon and I will.

There are plenty of forums devoted to the discussion of religion, please take your sermons there. Here we discuss photoreading and learning in general. (What topics we learn are not preached unto others).

Alex

#29755 07/23/02 03:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by P. Brain:
This is not correct.
A) in Europe the week starts on Monday. Jesus lived in Palastina/Israel... some claim its Europe: Israel participates in the Eurovision Song Contest.

B) God created the world in 6 days and had his nap on the 7th. Every Sunday we follow the example of God

Hi P. Brain,

In the Hispanic world, the week starts on Monday and in the Anglo/Teutonic world, the week starts on Sunday. Don't ask me why.
It may not be the first day of the week universally, but it was the day Christ arose from the tomb, so that is why most Christians worship on Sunday.
P.S.
Not only do Seventh day Adventist worship on Saturday, there is also some Baptist called Seventh day Baptist and also the Philadelphia Church of God and the World Wide Church of God who worship on Saturday.
Sorry about the confusion,
Jonah

#29756 07/23/02 03:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by razordu30:
Just my $.02

I don't understand why you won't get spiritual insights from PRing. Just because it isn't the normal way of reading, doesn't mean you don't get the spiritual insight.

"no human mind can fathom the mysteries (hidden truth) of God's Word, unless he reveals them to you."

Why can't God reveal the meaning when you Photoread? I just don't understand the reasoning behind this argument. I think he's saying, "Unless you read it word for word, you won't get it," which just isn't true. Heck, out of almost all the books I know, the Bible is definately one where the 10% rule applies...in the book of Genesis, do you really need to know who begat who? Not really, not if you're in it for the moral instruction, and even if you did want to know who begat who, just change your stated purpose and family tree/mindmap that sucker.

I just don't understand why you won't get the same moral principles PRing the bible as you would any other text. Sure, the bible is no ordinary book, but if this is true doesn't it also follow that to read it like any other book (ie-regular reading) isn't necessarily the correct way either?

I don't see why the two are incompatible.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

Hi Razordu,
I think what he means is that while PR does help in "remembering" the facts, The Bible in the Christian's life is the most important book so to really understand it and incorporate it into your life, it is important to regular read the text and think on the scripture.
In the PR book, Pete says that on some books regular reading is required, why not PR and if you want a deeper understanding Regular read. Remember, PRing does not replace study.

#29757 07/23/02 08:35 PM
OP Offline

quote:
Originally posted by razordu30:
I still don't get it...why is photoreading not in tune with this? Why can't photoreading the bible lead to salvation as you say? Why would PRing the bible not let someone accept Jesus Christ as their savior? I'm not necessarily taking a stand on whether or not this is true, I'm just having a difficulty grasping why if someone was looking to be saved, why PRing the bible instead of regular reading it would prevent him from doing so?

Greetings again from Ok!

You caught my attention when you wrote, "
Why would PRing the bible not let someone accept Jesus Christ as their savior?" Let me ask you something and everybody who has PR the Bible. What is "salvation"? Salvation means the act of saving, right? Do you understand that Jesus died on the Cross, was buried, and rose again the 3rd day according to the Scriptures. If you have PhotoRead the Bible and understand that, then what does that tell you/all that you/we must do? Do you believe and understand that you MUST repent (turn away) for all willful sin? Repenting is dying to yourself. Do you understand that you must be buried (baptized) after you die (repent)? Do you believe then by faith God will revive your spirit by the Holy Spirit?

A person can become confused these days about how to be saved. It seems two of the most common verses of Scripture used in these latter days on how to be saved are the following. Ro 10:13-FOR WHOSOEVER SHALL CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED. Some preachers seem to indicate that nothing else is necessary other than saying a prayer. They seem to indicate this by saying nothing about one thing that is an absolute necessity for salvation. That absolute is "repentance." Another verse many people stand on for salvation is Acts 16:31-BELIEVE ON THE LORD JESUS CHRIST, AND THOU SHALT BE SAVED. Again, many seem to stand on this verse alone for salvation without mentioning the necessity of repenting of sin. Ja 2:19 tells us-THOU BELIEVEST THAT THERE IS ONE GOD; THOU DOEST WELL: THE DEVILS ALSO BELIEVE, AND TREMBLE. In Jn 12:42,43, we are shown that among the chief rulers MANY believed on Jesus, yet they were not saved. As it is written, NEVERTHELESS AMONG THE CHIEF RULERS ALSO MANY BELIEVED ON HIM; BUT BECAUSE OF THE PHARISEES THEY DID NOT CONFESS HIM, LEST THEY SHOULD BE PUT OUT OF THE SYNAGOGUE: FOR THEY LOVED THE PRAISE OF MEN MORE THAN THE PRAISE OF GOD. Ro 10:11-FOR THE SCRIPTURE SAITH, WHOSOEVER BELIEVETH ON HIM SHALL NOT BE ASHAMED.

TWO ABSOLUTES YOU MUST DO

Some people may say, you have to do nothing to be saved except believe and say a sinner's prayer. This is not true. Two absolutes you must do are: repent of your sins and confess Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, as the only hope you have of being saved. Yes, we are to call on the name of the Lord in prayer. Yes, we are to believe that Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of God, God in the flesh. Yes, we are to believe that He died for our sins, and rose from the dead, and now sits at the right hand of God the Father. Yes, we are to believe that Jesus Christ is the Living Word and that He came to earth to redeem men from their sins. But to say that all we are to do is call on the name of the Lord and believe on Him is not all that God’s Word requires. We must repent of our sins, forsake our sins, and even more, we must never be ashamed of Jesus. We are to be willing to stand up for Jesus and be willing to confess Him. Ro 10:9,10-THAT IF THOU SHALT CONFESS WITH THY MOUTH THE LORD JESUS, AND SHALT BELIEVE IN THINE HEART THAT GOD HATH RAISED HIM FROM THE DEAD, THOU SHALT BE SAVED. FOR WITH THE HEART MAN BELIEVETH UNTO RIGHTEOUSNESS; AND WITH THE MOUTH CONFESSION IS MADE UNTO SALVATION. 1 Pe 3:15 tells us very clearly-BE READY ALWAYS TO GIVE AN ANSWER TO EVERY MAN THAT ASKETH YOU A REASON OF THE HOPE THAT IS IN YOU WITH MEEKNESS AND FEAR. God’s Word is showing us clearly that to ask and believe is not all that is necessary for salvation.

REPENTANCE IS AN ABSOLUTE

This most important thing that every person "must" do or there is no hope of salvation is often ignored in many churches and by many preachers. This absolute is the very first word that Peter is recorded saying when he was asked by the people what they must do. Jesus Christ is recorded 7 times in the 4 Gospels as saying that a person must do this one thing. God’s program is centered around trying to get men to do this one thing. What is this incredibly important thing that is so often left out by so many preachers, priests, and rabbi? What is this most important thing that even some of the best of the television evangelists often seem to forget to include? Let Jesus Christ tell us from Luke’s Gospel chapter 13, verse 3 and 5-I TELL YOU, NAY: BUT EXCEPT YE REPENT, YE SHALL ALL LIKEWISE PERISH. Again, in verse 5, Jesus repeats-I TELL YOU, NAY: BUT, EXCEPT YE REPENT, YE SHALL ALL LIKEWISE PERISH.
John the Baptist made it very clear, as he said, REPENT YE, AND BELIEVE THE GOSPEL-Mk 1:15.
Salvation depends upon faith that involves repentance. It may be said, as a result of believing or as a result of faith, repentance takes place. When a person truly believes the Gospel in his heart, repentance is the result. Thus, to believe includes repentance. Repentance then may be said to be the evidence of turning from unbelief to belief of God's Word. John the Baptist said, PRODUCE FRUIT IN KEEPING WITH REPENTANCE-Mt 3:8 NIV.
However, when unbelief sets in, a turning away from God occurs.

REPENTANCE MEANS STOP, TURN, AND CHANGE

Webster’s New World Dictionary tells us the word "repent" means the following: "To feel such regret over (an action, intention), as to change one's mind, etc." This is further confirmed in the Bible as we read in 2 Cor 7:10-FOR GODLY SORROW WORKETH REPENTANCE TO SALVATION. The next part of the verse states, NOT TO BE REPENTED OF. In other words, you turn away from all willful sin, and you do not go back. The next part of the verse gives us a warning: BUT THE SORROW OF THE WORLD WORKETH DEATH. A person’s attitude about sin changes. Before salvation, a person enjoyed sin. They were not concerned about disobeying God. Their own desires were more important to them than obeying God. But now, they begin to hate every sinful or evil way. It is written, YE THAT LOVE THE LORD, HATE EVIL-Ps 97:10. THE FEAR OF THE LORD IS TO HATE EVIL-Pv 8:13.
Thus repentance (to repent), means we feel terrible about our sins. We are sorry about our sins. We deeply regret what we have done and are willing to turn from all sin. We change direction.
We are willing to change our mind about our sins. Our life style changes.
We are willing to forsake all our sins and give them up. To put it straight forward, we are willing to "stop all willful sin." We do a complete turn. This is repentance, which is an absolute condition for salvation.
Psalm 119:59,60 gives us another definition of repentance. It is written, I HAVE CONSIDERED MY WAYS AND HAVE TURNED MY STEPS TO YOUR STATUTES. I WILL HASTEN AND NOT DELAY TO OBEY YOUR COMMANDS-NIV.
Some people have stopped doing a particular sin not because of true repentance or Godly sorrow about their sin, but because of certain circumstances. One of many possible examples is a person might stop drinking or smoking for health reasons. Another example, is a person might stop having sex outside of marriage because of fear of getting AIDS. This is not repentance. "Turning over a new leaf," as some people may say, is not true repentance.
Once a person truly repents, their parents, relatives, employers, husband or wife, friends, and others may persecute them. Other things may happen. Incredible temptations may occur. Yet we are to repent no matter what the cost and not go back into willful sin.

REPENTANCE ALSO MEANS TO "START" AND "OBEY"

Not only do we stop doing those things which are wrong, but we "start" doing those things which are right, and "obey" God's Word. For the person that can read, the number one thing he begins doing is reading and studying the Bible. It is written, AS NEWBORN BABES, DESIRE (or crave or are starving for) THE SINCERE MILK OF THE WORD, THAT YE MAY GROW THEREBY: IF SO BE YE HAVE TASTED THAT THE LORD IS GRACIOUS-1 Pe 2:2,3. It is only through God's Word that we can learn what is right and wrong in God's eyes. It is only by God's Word that we can grow in faith, because faith comes only by the Word of God (the Bible).
A person that can read and claims they are saved, yet only reads one, two, or three chapters a week, would appear to be very misled. It would appear true repentance may not have taken place. It would seem to indicate that they are not serious about God, about their salvation, and about obeying God's Word.
They may have stopped willful sin, but have not begun to FOLLOW JESUS. For Jesus would lead them to begin reading and studying HIS Word heavily. Just as a new plant in a garden needs water, so the new born-again Christian needs God's Word. If you gave a new plant in a garden only a few drops of water a week, it would soon die. If you give a new born-again Christian only one, two or three chapters a week, they will soon die, or perhaps they never were born-again to start with.
It is written, LEARN OF ME-Mt 11:29. We are to hear God's Word, study God's Word, meditate in God's Word, and read God's Word. If a person claims they are born-again, yet God's Word does not take first place in their life, then it is a good indicator that the person is not truly born-again, but only thinks they are. They are deceived.
To follow Jesus is, number one—to learn HIS Word and obey it. It is written, Mt 4:19-FOLLOW ME. Mt 8:22-FOLLOW ME. Mt 9:9-FOLLOW ME. Mt 16:24-IF ANY MAN WILL COME AFTER ME, LET HIM DENY HIMSELF, AND TAKE UP HIS CROSS, AND FOLLOW ME. Mt 19:21-COME AND FOLLOW ME. Many more times these words appear in the Bible, also. The message is loud and clear. A person, even a preacher, even a denominational head, even someone that goes forth to evangelize, BUT does not meditate, study, read, hear, learn, and obey God's Word is not truly following Jesus. As it has already been said, a person that can read, but only reads one, two or three or even four or five chapters a week, is NOT FOLLOWING JESUS. They are not serious about God's Word, which is Jesus. They are certainly not doing God's will. Repentance may never have taken place. A fruit of repentance is doing what God's Word says. A person that does not LABOUR in God's Word or that does not dwell in God's Word cannot grow in faith, in knowledge, in wisdom, and in understanding.
The evidence of repentance is good fruit. It is written, WHEREFORE BY THEIR FRUITS YE SHALL KNOW THEM-Mt 7:20.

Practicing willful sin stops. It does not slow down. It does not get reduced. It stops.

Lying stops.

Deceitfulness stops.

Stealing stops. Restitution begins to take place.

Hatred ceases.

Forgiveness for all who have wronged us takes place.

Sex outside of a marriage recognized by God stops.

Fornication stops.

If a person is not married according to God's Word, then a separation takes place until the marriage is accomplished in accordance to God's Word. The person should also be baptized by full immersion afterwards.

Selfishness stops.

Smoking and alcohol stops.

Ancestor worship, and worshipping angels, and demons, and "so-called" saints and idols of every kind including nature, stops. Worship is reserved for the Jesus of the Bible. He is JESUS CHRIST IS COME IN THE FLESH-2 Jn 7.

Praying to the dead, or to, or through "so-called" saints, or Mary stops.

Astrology stops.

A person begins to fear God as the Bible says.

Studying and obeying the Bible begins.

Doing God's will begins.

Following and obeying God begins from the heart.

This is only a very small, partial list.
Some believe they can bind the devil from tempting them. Some believe that when a person sins, others should just pray for them or with them. This is not repentance. There is much deception regarding "repentance." This is all part of the Laodicean church age we now live in. Some come to churches and go to the altars time after time, but they refuse to repent.
If a person claims they have repented, but are not "following" Jesus, then it is solid evidence no repentance has taken place, or the person is backsliding. To follow Jesus is to begin to do in our daily life what Jesus would do. It is to begin to do what Jesus would do in each and every daily situation that arises. The fruits of obedience, the fruits of God’s Spirit, the fruits of God’s work should begin to manifest themselves. Many do what appears to be God’s work, but they are not following Jesus in their daily lives. God’s will does not manifest itself in many things the person does. The fruits of God’s Spirit are at best, lukewarm. God’s will is not obeyed when it is contrary to what the person’s emotions want to do. Sometimes God’s will is not sought in certain situations, because the person does not want to conform to the will of God, if it is contrary to his own will.

AFTER BELIEVING AND REPENTANCE, WATER BAPTISM IS TO TAKE PLACE

After true repentance has taken place, which is in line with God's Word, then the person is to be baptized by full immersion in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Any baptism before true repentance means absolutely nothing. We are to "first" believe, and then get baptized-ref Mk 16:16. We are to "first" repent, and then get baptized-ref Acts 2:38.

God is not willing that any should perish. God loves you so very deeply that He sent His only begotten Son to suffer a horrible death to atone for your sins. Do you love Him enough to receive this forgiveness? Do you love Him enough to say, "Thank you?" Do you love Him enough to say, "Yes, God, I love You, and will follow You and Your ways?"

If you are willing to turn from all your sins and afterward be baptized by full immersion in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit and are willing to give your life totally to Jesus; then I invite you to say this prayer right now and mean it with all your heart: DEAR JESUS, I AM A SINNER. I BELIEVE YOU ARE THE SON OF GOD AND DIED FOR MY SINS ON THE CROSS. FORGIVE ALL MY SINS. REMOVE ALL MY DOUBTS. JESUS, I ASK YOU TO COME INTO MY HEART. HELP ME TO FOLLOW AND OBEY YOUR COMMANDMENTS AND TO LIVE FOR YOU. JESUS, I GIVE YOU MY LIFE. THANK YOU FOR HEARING MY PRAYER. THANK YOU FOR COMING INTO MY LIFE. I ASK IT IN THE NAME OF MY LORD AND SAVIOUR, JESUS CHRIST. AMEN.

Love in Christ, (have an exceedingly pleasing day)

Logan C. Edens

#29758 07/24/02 02:21 AM

heres a quote from a previous post of yours:
Which is louder: the voice of your flesh or the voice of God?
Which is louder: the voice of wanting to do your will or the voice of God?

so lets apply that to the sabbath question, would you rather keep sunday, because YOU think its a better day than the God-appointed sabbath? "hey, i think i like the part in the bible where Jesus forgave the people who killed him, on Friday. im gonna start keeping my sabbath on friday." we dont do that, do we? so why should we choose which day is Gods sabbath? "Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath" so we keep God's sabbath and Jesus' Sabbath, one in the same.
Also, the first day of the week is sunday, how do we know? the jews since their time with Jesus have kept the seventh-day sabbath without ceasing. every seventh day they went to church and worshipped.(maybe not the holocaust but even then most kept it in their homes or in the camps)
You can even check historical records, they will tell you clearly that saturday is the seventh day. the monday thing in europe must be a new thing, because i know most of us havent heard of it. maybe they changed it in europe because thats where the "beast"(from revelation) lives in Rome, and influences what happens in europe greatly. most people in europe are of sunday keeping religion, so why not change the calendar to say that sunday is the seventh day? everyone keeps it that way anyways, and it eliminates their problem.
Daniel 7:25
He will speak against the Most High and oppress his saints and try to change the set times and the laws. The saints will be handed over to him for a time, times and half a time. [ 7:25 Or [ for a year, two years and half a year.

This text predicts the uprising of the catholic church. the catholic church changed the times, saturday sabbath to sunday sabbath. it also changed the laws, the commandments were changed in wording and one was removed, and another was split in two. read the commandments in the catholic bible and then in NIV or KJV. THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!! ALL OTHER RELIGIONS WERE OPPRESSED BY THE CATHOLIC CHURCH!!! for a time, times and half a time(in prophetic time, a day is a year in prophecy, Ezekiel 4:6,so this is 1260 years when the pope controlled countries and ruled over kings. look it up in history)
then, after 1260 years, the french general capture the pope and he was executed. "then the beasts wound was healed, and everyone marveled at the beasts power, whose wound was healed" later, another pope was elected, but he didnt have as much power as before.
So the catholic church was the little horn told of in daniel 7, and the best of the sea in revelation. and even now, the church leaders admit to changing the day and say that the pope has power over the bible. they challenge any protestant to prove biblically why they worship on sunday. there is a reward for anyone who can convince them, but none have succeeded.
so, i've proven your first sunday defense to be weak and not supported by scripture. please, tell me another.

[This message has been edited by Neo-Matrix (edited July 23, 2002).]

#29759 07/24/02 03:31 AM

Hello all...

Please stop this.

LoganEdens, trying to save us implies that you judge us as not being saved. Your best witness is to be a witness in your life not just in your words. Please spend your time on people not the keyboard.

I devoted my life to Christ 20 years ago. Since that time I have learned many things. One of which is to follow the "spirit" of the law, and not to "Pharisee" its rules to others as though I know the truth.

Photoreading the Bible is an excellent way to grow in a closer relationship with the Lord if that path is the one you choose to follow. It enables your activation sessions to be during prayer. What better use of that time...

Loganedens1985, you are using your responses to convert, save and preach on a non-denominational discussion board. And while your efforts are respected - admirable even, they show a juvenile passion that must be cooled to be more effective.

God bless you in your way. Pray, meditate in the word and find a better way to use your gifts than evangelizing on this board. Do that privately please.

Respectfully,
CommonSense

#29760 07/24/02 04:52 AM

Let's not stray off topic: my question hasn't been answered for about two days now, so I'll put it in bold.

Why is it that PRing the bible is any less effective than regular reading the bible. Your whole thread "Heed Christians..." warns us not to PR the bible, because it's somehow less effective. Please tell me why.

You stated:

"Do you understand that Jesus died on the Cross, was buried, and rose again the 3rd day according to the Scriptures. If you have PhotoRead the Bible and understand that, then what does that tell you/all that you/we must do?"

If you PR'ed the bible and didn't know that Jesus died on the cross, was buried and rose again on the third day, then you are a HORRIBLE pr'er. The point I'm making is that whether you PR the bible or regular read it, you'll get the same message, and that what you DO with that message is entirely irrelevant to how you got it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is (and please don't take offense to this) that I'm starting believe that you used PRing as an excuse to state your beliefs, and while I have nothing against stating your beliefs, I think that you did so in a way that's kind of irrelevant to the topic you posted.

#29761 07/24/02 04:52 AM

Maybe we all need to call the Breakthrough Prayer Hotline.

#29762 07/24/02 05:14 AM
OP Offline

Greetings! I enjoyed reading the posts above and I'm thrilled to answer your remarks. First, please don't assume that I'm judging anybody. If I was judging somebody I would say your going to the Lake of Fire because of who you are and what you did. I haven't said any of that. Secondly, where the Lord God Almighty leads me to witness I will. Please don't assume what gifts I have and tell me how and where to use them. The Lord of Glory appoints who he will. I say all that gently and in love.

May I ask, can you fathom eternity? Just think about it. Forever and ever with out end. I really want you to think about that. Think about all the people according to God's Word that will be in Hell (The Lake of Fire. They will have no hope of escape and no relief from the torment. THINK ABOUT THAT. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE IT LIGHTLY.You should be exceedingly glad when you see people preaching Jesus. Don't hinder the gospel of Jesus Christ. May I ask, what has Christ done in your life sir? If he has really changed your life, why would you want to hinder his work?

Love in Christ, (have a fantastic day)

Logan C. Edens.

#29763 07/24/02 05:19 AM

Christ has taught me photoreading. Photoreading the bible gives me spiritual insight. I've also Photoread all your posts on this thread, and you still haven't answered my question.

As I said, I'm thinking you used PRing in a really roundabout and irrelevant way to witness. If you want to witness, just witness. Don't say, "Heed Christians..." and warn us of the dangers of PRing the bible as opposed to regular reading it if you can't explain why.

I enjoy a lot of your other posts, but I'm sorry to say that this thread has nothing to do with itself.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved