Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29917 07/27/02 01:12 PM
Dan Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm not really seeing the results that I expected and I wonder if it's because my stated purpose is not clear. Here are the two main ones that I use depending on which book I want to read.

1)My goal is to fully comprehend and understand chapter ... of (name of book)so that I can successfully answer my assignmemt questions and pass my exams on (date). This information is very important to me as I want to be able to use it in my everyday life and be able to use it to help my new clients.

(Different book)

2) My goal is to fully understand and enjoy this book, to increase my general knowledge on this subject.

What goals and purposes do you state to your self?

#29918 07/28/02 11:19 AM
Administrator
Administrator

It seems to me you have a general purpose statement that would work. If it doesn't try being more specific. The problem may lie with the activation questions from your trigger words if you are not getting what you want out of the book.

You might want to rephrase your goal of fully understanding the to to be to have an 80 to 90% comphrension of the topic. Mention how you could would like to be able to apply the knowledge you gain from the book.

For example for a book relating to overcomming telephone phobia. My stated purpose was 'I am photoreading this book to gain any useful imformation that I can use to enhance my listening skills, that I can apply in my life. I am also interested in any techniques that I can use to make using the phone easier.'

I find the more specific I am with my intention to find information that I can use to put to use in my life the more successful I am with the material.

Alex

#29919 07/29/02 01:22 AM

When you state your purpose, do you say the purpose in your head or out loud?

#29920 07/31/02 12:11 AM
Dan Offline OP
OP Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Xavan:
When you state your purpose, do you say the purpose in your head or out loud?

I state my purpose in my head. I also state my purpose when I SR, dip,and RR or activate.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved