Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#29959 08/01/02 05:19 AM
OP Offline

Does PR enhance memory? I've heard about these Mega Memory course and such. I want to know are any of these courses PR related? How can I improve my memory other than simple pnemonic devices? How is my memory gong to improve using PR?

#29960 08/01/02 12:33 AM

PR will not improve your memory but it will make you a better lover and improve your sense of smell.

#29961 08/01/02 08:45 AM
Administrator
Administrator

PR can improve your memory if you choose to. You can PR a number of memory book (PR select a few and pick which one/s you want to activate) if you want to improve your memory. People who read have better memories than people who don't so more actively reading can enhance your memory. Having a good memory starts with deliberately noticing stuff or paying attention.

The mega memory course teaches you to associate things you want to remember with (memory) pegs. These courses cannot be compared to the Photoreading course. Photoreading gives you the skills to select the books you want to read and learn from faster. You can learn the mega memory techniques from a book. (I found it useless cause it took more work remembering the pegs than it took me to remember stuff my own way)

Alex

#29962 08/02/02 08:55 PM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Alex is right.

Plus, check out our Memory Optimizer course. It's different. Plus, its foundation is not the typical peg and link program.

Genius Code can also help with your memory.

The three courses -- PhotoReading, Memory Optimizer, and Genius Code -- are a powerful combination for learning and memory.

You can do the courses in any order. Come back and revisit them as you go on with the others. They play well off each other.

#29963 08/06/02 05:21 AM
OP Offline

Alex, what is a peg? Do you know how the optimizer is different it it does not use said pegs?

#29964 08/05/02 10:30 PM

A peg word is a word you consciously remember to help remember things in the future.

This will get confusing, but bear with me. There's a system called pseudonumerology where you associate letters to different numbers.

0 = s,z
1 = t,d
2 = n
3 = m
4 = r
5 = l
6 = j, ch-sound
7 = k, hard "c" sound
8 = f
9 = p

Using these letters you make peg words, like:

1 = t and d, so a peg word might be "toe"
2 = n, so a peg word might be "know"
3 = m, so a peg word might be "May"

In any case, if you're remembering a list in a specific order like this:

Mary
John
Mike

You can use the peg words to help create unusual situations to help you remember the order. For example:

Mary with a big painful throbbing sore "Toe"
John holding lots of encyclopedias, because he "knows" a lot"
Mike might be on a float with the big words "May Day" on it.

This seems silly for a list of three things, but on a longer list, it makes more sense. It's not necessarily the only use of peg words, but it's an example. Using the pseudonumerology system, I was able to memorize 1,000 digits of pi in two lazy afternoons.

Yes, it takes a little while to learn peg words, but it does pay off afterwards (in a "you can remember certain lists of things better" kind of way, anyway...you'd be surprised how little this matters, though I have been able to memorize SKU numbers for cashier work and phone numbers pretty easily).

For a taste of pseudonumerology, go to: http://www.pseudonumerology.com

Some people don't dig it, but I like it just fine. This is also a good site: http://www.premiumhealth.com/memory/

Mnemonics can be an interesting hobby, and isn't too bad of a thing to learn. I notice that when I use mnemonics to help memorize names (something I'm REALLY bad at) I will always remember, whereas if I don't, I'll forget it in a couple hours.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

#29965 08/06/02 03:12 AM
Administrator
Administrator

I haven't seen the Memory Optimizer course. Ramon has explained the simpilest and fastest peg system to use. The mega memory had a number of different peg systems... like anchoring stuff you want to remember to different parts of your body. Then there is the walk through a room technique where you visualise putting different objects in rooms of your house usually 5 rooms and five pegs are chosen for each room. I think this method is hopeless if you have a poor visual memory... just see yourself standing in a shopping center going though you shopping list you leaning on your shopping cart taking an imaginary walk though your house while trying to remember all the items you wanted to buy. A simpler memory technique is to get into the habit of making a list and "remembering" to take it with you when you go shopping and if you for get the list just image remember how it felt when you were writing it. You'll be buying most of the items you had listed even if you forgot the list

Thing is when you start using a simple memory peg system (the one Ramon suggested is good cause its so quickly and personally adaptable)... you start remembering more without systems.

Alex

#29966 08/07/02 01:50 AM

Alex,

Definately agree. The thing is, even if you get really really good with a memory system, you're probably just better off writing whatever it is down and "remembering" to take that list with you...and yes, just writing it down helps you remember it.

I tried the room technique you mentioned, and I agree, it's horrible. The example given to me when I read about it was for a speech, where you associate rooms in your house to parts of your speech, in chronological order. It worked, but to be honest, it was just as effective as memorizing the stupid thing line by line over and over again.

I have a pretty good visual memory, but having a list in front of me seems more practical than thinking of visual images in my head one by one.

As I said, memorizing things isn't as helpful as one might think. I use mnemonics to memorize phone numbers, SKU's, and facts for tests. Other than that, I just write it down.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

#29967 08/07/02 07:07 AM
Administrator
Administrator

One of the things often overlooked with memory systems is that it's more difficult to remember stuff if you're passive about it. Most of those techniques like going through the rooms in your house would work faster if you actually did walk through the rooms in your house physically putting down things to become a visual anchor. Then it becomes a lot easier to recall because your whole body did it not just your mind.

No matter what technique you apply to remember something it helps to pay attention and notice what you are doing while your are putting it into your memory. Like if you're in the habit of not putting your keys in the same spot or are about to put them down where they don't belong, you need to say to yourself something like I just put my keys on the dining table.

If your studying/memorising stuff, notice the time, the smells, how hot or cold it is... even if you think something like boy it sure is a nice day out there today I could be flying a kite and here I am studying/memorising algebra (or whatever). Come to a test you have an emotional anchor to recall that helps to bring back the stuff you were studying. It adds leverage to your memory techniques and it something more to help remember the imaginary walk through the rooms.

Alex

#29968 08/10/02 03:06 AM

Warrior, I have the Mega Memory course and PR course. Those are 2 different course. Mega Memory use the concious mind and PR use more of the unconcious mind. Mega Memory is good for remembering list, name and vocab using the nmemonic technique and peg system. I use it everyday and it help me out alot. I just started PR and I love it so far. It approach grasping written material in a totally different way then tradition reading.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved