Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi, I'm new to the photoreading system, I just finished the course about a week ago and I would appreciate if someone could help me out.
I'm currently studying in university, and exams going to comein 6months. I'm not sure if I should read normally or photoread my papers, because I don't even know if the information has already being "activated." I feel so insecure, I don't even know if I know everything I need to know. I'm not even sure if the information from photofocusing a book has entered my "unconscious" yet.
How many times should I photoread? Is it in my unconscious brain forever? or should I photoread the same book everyday

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated

Administrator
Administrator

Welcome to the forum. What you want to do is learn the information from the books and papers.

With photoreading you only need to PR the book once, more often if you feel so inclined. Rest assured, it does go into the inner mind. What you need to to is activate the book/s some of it you'll do during class other times you'll want to sit down and draw a mind map. This is achieved during the activation session. 3 to 4 or more, 30 minute sessions of asking questions (formed from your trigger words). This brings it to conscious awareness. What you have photoread can show up in the most unusual times and sometimes unexpected ways. For me it happened when I was searching web sites for information... after doing a search I open all the sites that looked promising and just PR'ed them to see if they had any information on the topic I was searching. I found so much other information flooding back later. The method I used was pretty much like photoreading a book; scrolled the pages and knew if the info I was searching for was there or not. If I didn't find anything I just closed that window (I never use the back button )and went onto the next one. When I found some information in that site I scanned it more slowly to determine if it matched my criteria. Since I knew so much stuff that I didn't know about before my searches I must have plonked it into my inner mind and the mind probing questions turned out to be questions posted on the forum. So I can assure you it is in your inner mind and just needs to have a reason to be drawn out. That's why the manual activation techniques are so important. They help you build more confidence.

In following the steps for photoreading and drawing a mind map during activation you have a visual aid to recall the information from the books and papers so that when you come to a test you can quickly review the information and be surprised how much it brings back to memory even stuff that you didn't note on the MM can come flooding back.

Have a slow read of page 85 to 87 of the photoreading book... it tells you in detail how to use the photoreading system for studying.

If this brings more questions to mind just ask on the forum

Alex

Dan Offline

What Alex said is completely right.

BUT THERE ARE A FEW THINGS TO ALWAYS REMEMBER

1. PRing is not the same thing as a photo memory...YOU WILL STILL HAVE TO STUDY FOR YOUR EXAMS!! (but not as long as your friends have too )

2. SEE NUMBER 1 ABOVE

3. relax and play with the system, keep an open mind and enjoy

One more thing...if it doesn't work, no matter what: DO NOT get frustrated. Calmly think about what you may be doing wrong, and if you are completely puzzled, then seek help. Don't be Mark, seeking to get Reading Genius.

The book will stay in your subconcsious mind forever, yes. For studying, PhotoReading each textbook you have once a night for a few weeks is always best, and allows for optimum understanding of any material. Also try activating when studying for anything in school by chapter, treating each one as a book within itself.

Alex always gives good advice. If you have any more questions...

Yeah.

-youngprer

(That's my two cents.) Perhaps that's what is talked about on pages 85-87?? Hrm...

OP Offline

Thanks you guys so much for replying. I cannot say how much confidence you have given me, after i failed to activate the books i photoread 2 nights ago. But it's ok, I'll keep trying.
or maybe I'm photofocusing wrong, I've all problems relating to photofocusing, and the way i did it was just try to see all corners of the book at once.

So I'm guessing the term you're using "studying" refers to superreading and dipping questions I want to ask? How would I know what questions would come up in the exam, or are you talking about "rapid read"
from one end to another end

Thanks

Yes, when I said studying, I was referring to activating the chapters themselves. Oh, and if there's anything we can't answer, go to Dana.

Administrator
Administrator

Superreading and dipping are the manual activation techniques. You use them to find the answers to the questions you formed from your trigger words. Sometimes when you form questions you have a vague feeling that you know the answer - the you use superreading, skittering, dipping where you feel the answer might be.

Studying as I was referring to was specifically for learning and exams.

On youngprers note of photoreading the textbooks everyday I'd like to offer an idea of modifying it somewhat. Sometimes after initally having PR'ed a book when you photoread again you might notice points that draw your attention. In these cases I suggest you dip or go back for a closer read. Chances are it answers a question you had just before you photoread again. I had that experience myself the last couple of days. Today I was photoreading some books I had no intention of activating at this time. I was only interested if the books contained any information of interest to me and if they did I wanted to bring them in to activate. Well on 2 of the books I was drawn back a couple of pages after photoreading to slow read them and they did infact provide some thought provoking information. Other than that the books were of no interest so they stayed in the garage.

Your photofocusing technique is fine. Most likely you didn't give yourself enough time to activate. Try writing down 3 questions and then superreading and dipping in the section of the book where you think the answer lie. Do as many questions and answer as you can in a 20 to 30 minute session. Take a 5 minute break and then do another 20 to 30 minute session.

1.Make it a point of doing at least 4 activation session for your first few books.... especially textbooks.
2. Make it a point to draw what you find onto a mindmap or some sort of notetaking system that works for you... especially for textbooks.
3. Most importantly make it a point always to stick to 30 minutes max for each session and have a 5 minute break after each one and a longer break after you've done 2 30 minute sessions (at least 15 minutes). This helps discipline your mind for future session (it works quickly if you stick with the plan).

Also with your activation look at how you form your questions... If your questions are vague your answers are going to be hard to find. Forming good questions quickly aids your comprehension. One of the most useful techniques for discovering if you are comprehending the text is to turn chapter heading, subheading, bold and underlined text into questions. If you can answer what the chapter or paragraph with the bold heading is about you are on the way to explaining your comprehension of the text.

Remember also it happens in layers with the first little bit it doesn't seem like much is happening and the ideas is to keep at it keep building on it. It's like finding a little glint of gold in the dust and moving the dirt away bit by bit... you don't know how big a rock you get till you've dug it all up.

You can rapid read the book if youwant to know more but are not sure what you want to know. Usually you'll do that after you done 2 or mor activations steps... that step is optional.

If you want to have an idea of what will be on the test get a hold of the previous 3 years test if you can, you'll quickly discover which questions the lecturer centers around and how the lecturer prefers to have them answered. That will give you focus for your studies. If you only concentrate on the texts and lectures get into the habit of taking good notes Mind maps many find useful when reviewing. However use the notetaking technique that works best for you.
Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited August 04, 2002).]

OP Offline

thank you so much alex for telling me .
The thing you said about digging for the gold has given me confidence that this system will work after some time of layering

Feel free to critise my study plan
I'd photoread 6 text books in 1 day around 11pm.
I would then activate it the next day.
and i would photoread the same 6 text book for 2 weeks and do the same thing ie activate it more the next day *this is because exam is based on 6 different subject books*

is this alright?" or too much photoreading would erase the information from my unconscious? or not enough would not stick into my unconscious?

Administrator
Administrator

Photoreading 6 books in one day is OK even benefical for getting the hang of photoreading itself. Activating 6 books in one day would be as unrealistic as expecting to read and remember the most important parts of those books by a regular reading method.

Activate only what you feel is necessary If you alot yourself something like 2 hours of study time per day then realistically you would only activate what is immediately necessary. You can on occasions just photoread the sections of the book that will be discussed in class the following day and allow that to be the activation session. While photoreading the textbook every day can be beneficial you'll also need to consider how much time it takes to photoread 6 books everyday. (my guess approx. 30 minutes) Do you really want to use up so much of your study time for photoreading the books repeatedly when once is usually enough 2 or 3 times implores the mind to take heed you and you want to know what is in the book. Much more than that is like saying I doubt that this will work.

I would suggest the following method.

1 check your schedule. What you need to study when and make out your study time table accordingly.

2. Photoread all your textbooks sometime during the first week of the semester (or when you start your plan) - let go of activation just do a bit of a postview immediately after photoreading the book so you have a conscious idea of its content. Space it out so you do a couple of books each day so that by the end of the week you PR'ed them all.

3. With that under your belt comes - learning. If you are given assignments that relate to certain sections of a book. PR that section again along with the 2 chapter before it and 2 chapters after it. (no need to PR the whole book again.) Give 20 minute break and then activate (you've already PR'ed the whole book so overnight activation is absolutely unnecessary.) During your 1.5 to 2 hour study session you'll activate the section and prepare for your assignment.

4. Nightly check what topics will be covered in the following day... choose to activate it the night before or similar to described above or just PR and let class the following day be the activation session.

5. Most Importantly because you are applying photoreading to studying *Make Notes - Do a Mind Map* These become your referenced to the books later on... they are triggers that tell you was in the book. They are also a record of your success in activating a book and success breeds success.

6. Review all your notes at regular intervals. If you use mind maps this will only talk a couple of minutes for each mind map.

7. The week before a test. Review all your relevant notes. Brush up on any areas you've forgotten or not sure about. PR the related sections of the text book once at the beginning of your review and then again the night before a test. (you could PR the textbook daily however that creates unnecessary anxiety and shows a lack of trust in yourself.) Once in the beginning of the week to help you uncover any areas where you have not studied well enough and once the night before to allow the test to be the activation session.

Most importantly be flexible... adapt the above method to suit your learning style and goals. The photoreading system is not a method to make studying more complex it is one when correctly used makes studying more successful.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved