Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30036 08/08/02 05:31 AM
OP Offline

I am very intelligent but I do not show it with my syntax, grammar, grades, nor vocabulary. I am unmotivated. I am not studious. Is this mind related? Is PhotoReading the doctor I am looking for? How can I become motivated and responsible? PLEASE HELP!!!!

#30037 08/07/02 07:15 PM

Use some of your intelligence to become motivated and responsible

Think about what you wrote; can you see the irony of it?

#30038 08/07/02 08:08 PM
OP Offline

I guess what I am trying to say is, I lack drive. Can that be taught?

#30039 08/07/02 08:30 PM

You say you lack drive. What areas? All areas? What areas do you have drive and which areas do you not have drive?

Noticing the areas you have drive and the areas you don't ...clue you in to yourself.

Maybe you don't have drive when it comes to stuff you perceive as work. Maybe you have great drive when you feel like playing soccer w/ your friends.

To just say you lack drive is too vague of a statement. Get clearer. Do some self reflection. You might be amazed at some of the info you can gleen from self reflection.

I'm writing this because it's useless to treat a sympton (no drive) and not the dis--ease (say fear of failure as an example)

Ask yourself: why don't i have any drive w/ regard to my studies.

NEXT put on a paraliminal or some music that will enable you to get into a deep alpha brain wave. Notice what thoughts come up. Parents? Grades? How others view me? Just notice what thoughts come up w/o EDITING them or JUDGING them.

When you come out, bounce the info from deep alpha off the question: Why don't i have any drive w/ regard to my studies?

For instance, maybe you suddenly find yourself thinking about your mother or father. Nothing important, but thoughts of them surface. Then when you are looking at your question, ask yourself if your parents could have any influence in your lack of drive for your studies. Then maybe you think about how they unknowingly are putting pressure on you to do exceptionally well. Bingo! A light goes off. You have no drive in your studies b/c you perceive your parents to be pushing you beyond your limits.

all of this is just an example of self reflection and how it works

drive can't be taught, but self reflection techniques can...and the info from self reflection can then be used to solve problems. When problems get understood, your energy is then free to help you become successful.

#30040 08/08/02 02:23 AM

I have a lack of drive, and the cause is that i think i'm either "too good to be wasting my time on this," or thinking "i could be doing THAT fun thing instead of this."

I have no clue how to solve that though. I've had my problem for awhile and i always end up convincing myself that those above things are better... Maybe PhotoReading self-help books could help you?

#30041 08/08/02 06:35 AM
Administrator
Administrator

PhoenixMDM,

It sounds to me like you prefer to procastinate rather than lacking drive. If you would like to PR some books on the subject, Check out Susan Jeffers amongst her books, Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway is eye opening to reasons why we procastinate. Albert Ellis had writtin some books that are helpful in that area. As has Dr William J Knaus Author of Do It Now: How to Stop Procastinating. He also wrote Change your lif.

Alex

#30042 08/09/02 06:31 AM

Hello AlexK,
Thank you so much for making me aware of these excellent books on Procrastination. After browsing Amazon and reading sample pages, I have discovered some reasons why I procrastinate. This is more than half the battle, as Margaret has alluded to. Frankly, the painfully vicious cycle of procrastination has been preventing me from regularly listening to the 'Get Around To It' Paraliminal, which causes AMAZING results when I can convince myself to make time to listen to it! This suggests that the ultimate remedy is to find out WHY you put things off, even pleasurable things, and then you can release the mental block that prevents you from doing something about the problem. Putting off using a tool that I know helps overcome procrastination is just as maddening as putting off paying bills even when I have plenty of money in the bank. This causes a sense of guilt (I'm sure other sufferers can identify with this). I am ordering 2 of these books right now from Amazon.
I apologize if this post seems rather wordy and/or off-topic (might be more appropriate for the Paraliminal Forum), but this thread really struck a resonant chord in me, and I know from previous posts that several others in the PhotoReading forum have this problem as well.
Thanks to everyone for all of your helpful and insightful posts.

#30043 08/09/02 07:29 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Glad you found that information useful. Understanding some of the 'whys' you procastinate is like finding where your personal roadblocks are. When you have that knowledge the paraminals work even better (your goals become even more specific). It also clues you on which paraliminal might work better for you to get around the block.

I have personally discovered that procastination has it purpose too... sometimes your inner mind knows something that your conscious mind doesn't. So it not necessarily a bad thing to procastinate, rather to understand why you are choosing to procastinate.

Alex

#30044 08/09/02 07:18 PM

Gapman,
I PhR & have activated most of Anthony Robbins Awaken the Giant Within

What a terrific book...can't say enuff +++++ for it

It may appear to be long, but he has it completely set up in a brain friendly manner and he has the 20% that carries 80% of the meaning clearly indicated.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved