Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30133 08/10/02 10:21 PM
OP Offline

ARg my cold just subsided yesterday so I decided to pr 5 txt books and today I woke up coughing constantly!(&53#%@# like I can't stop it, if I try to hold it in it'll just come out like a blast of unstoppable pistol.

I don't feel too well, maybe this is a sign from the gods to stop me from pring. Maybe it's a sin? Maybe we're all sinning? I don't believe in it but pring for me has brought some bad effects.

Are there any known side-effects of pring? I mean bad side-effects

#30134 08/11/02 02:12 AM
Dan Offline

I am not a real expert yet... I can only tell you what my side-effects are:

1. A great thirst to read as many different books on as many different subjects as I can think about

2. An incredible (sp) feeling of confidence when I have to take an exam.

3.A bad habit of not spending as much time with my reading assignmemts as my fellow classmates have to

4. Learning how to relax...deep total relaxation

#30135 08/11/02 06:20 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Wow you *just* got over a cold then PR 5 text books. Do you honestly think if you sat down studying by the regular methods you would still be feeling well? Pushing yourself when you're not feeling well causes stress on the system.

Alright you shortened the amount of time it would have taken you to go throught 5 text books. In my view studying by any means does cause some measure of stress on the system.. the worry about if I got it... do I understand it, have I covered everything. If you have those thoughts you are straining your immune system with tension.

Now I also notice that you'ved dived into photoreading with some sort of gusto. Makes me wonder just how much anxiety you have about the photoreading method working for you and your studies. I think the side effects of your cold is the stress from the internal anxiety.

Now in my years of experience a cold is the body's way of saying 'Hey slow down... you're trying to do too much at once.' From what I have seen from your post on the forum I have been wondering if you are pushing yourself a bit in relation to photoreading. It's great to see enthusiasm however it seems you are overwhelming yourself in the process.

I suggest you slow down a bit... allow the stuff you've photoread to settle in and find the pattern within you. Let your inner mind process the stuff a bit first and decide how to handle all that imput.

As for your suggestion that PRing might be a sin? That question is shrouded in fear and fear is often a result of anxiety... anxiety is often the result of guilt feelings. Guilt is often associated with the perception of doing something wrong in relation an authority.

Since Photoreading is such a brilliant method of learning some student develop guilt feelings about not studying in the normal way Like;-

? This is too easy
?If this was how I was ment to be doing it why haven't I been doing this all along
What if I'm cheating doint it this way? (this is a real goodie for guilt trips )
What if by doing it this way I get it all wrong.

Now the mind doesn't necessarily face these thoughts straight on however it does notice that you are feeling guilty so it gives you the most common association for feeling of guilt and sin... doing wrong in the eyes of god.

Your reaction suggest you might be having some thoughts along this line. Consciously or unconsciously...

My suggestion is to just do as your body suggest and slow down for a bit. Pay attention to these thoughts and feelings as well. Respond to them as they pop up.

Eg, this is too easy... remind yourself that everyone learns new things at different rates... if I find this easy then it just means I've already got the skills to do this.

EG. What if I'm cheating the system this way... Remind yourself that the 'systems goal is to teach and my goal is to learn... the best way to learn is the fastest way I can learn so that I own and understand what the system is trying to teach me. The Photoreading method is a tool that helps one to learn in much the same way as an electric mixer replaces a wooden spoon'.

Happy photoreading
Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited August 11, 2002).]

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved