Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30184 08/12/02 11:15 AM
OP Offline

Yes it's me again, on hey guys

Yes my throat still hurts, but I can still type hehe. I've been photoreading these 5 txt book for about 2 weeks now, around 3 times every week, and have no luck in activating any information manually. I mean it's very possible that I haven't formed any "questions i want to be answered" cuz there are just too many questions I want answered so when I photoread I say to myself
"I will photoread this book, I want to know all the information that is useful and helpful to me, and this information will be accessible to me in the future, my purpose is to excel and be the greatest"

Am I doing something wrong? about the part forming the questions.

#30185 08/12/02 02:22 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Please tell us what you've been doing for manual activation? Have you drawn a mind map? how many activation sessions have you applied? How long is each session. Are you teating each chapter as a book in its own right or are you trying to activate the textbook as a whole.

Remember if there is a lot of information that you want out of a book (textbooks in particular) activate it in smaller sections or one chapter at a time. To avoid getting bogged down with the sense of overwhelm. Stick to time limits when activating the chapters and always make a mind map or record of some sort. Fail to make a record you fail to give yourself feed back of what you have found out. When you start building up the information you collect you can see how much you are, in fact, comprehending. Catch the small stuff first. It baits the bigger bits of information that naturally connect to it.

See my post on my experiment. Yes it's long so just scroll down to the "method of activation". It's what I did and how I did it to get information from a book where my regular reading method is shot. You'll also notice that my first activation session wasn't that crash hot. Had I given up at that point or even within the first 15 minutes of the session I would still have had nothing. It was only in the last 5 minutes that I found something that made a bit of sense to me. I put that on a mind map and I had a start. While I did it with a different language it is still the same hurdle when 'learning' something new. It wasn't until the end of the 3rd session that things it really started to come together for me. It's a bit like connect the dots it's not until you got most of them connected that you recognise the picture. http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum8/HTML/002346.html

BTW if anyone wants a copy of that to print for reference. You can copy and paste or email me for a copy.

Alex

#30186 08/13/02 04:04 AM
OP Offline

For manual activation, it's actually the time when I am doing questions based on that txt or when lecturers are going bits that I've photoread.
but most of time is when I superread and dip each chapter.
I'd relax, and tell myself "relax, your concentration is absolute, and you will dip all the information that is useful or you don't quite comprehend in this chapter of the book"
and I will then superread the chapter. My superread technique is just basically softfocus the page and zoom from left to right of the text, like i see 4 lines of txt everytimem.
and this would take about 5min. Then I'll do the same with the other chapters.

after30min i'll take a rest for 5 min then resume superreading the same chapter again.'
NO i haven't done a mindmap because I haven't been absorbing enough information to do so.

#30187 08/13/02 09:04 AM
Administrator
Administrator

NO i haven't done a mindmap because I haven't been absorbing enough information to do so.

There you go. You've already 'absorbed' the information. You need to bring it to conscious memory. You are approaching a mind map as if it is a finished product. It is not... it's a building process. Whatever you get out of an activation session... however small make a note of it... you inner mind then has the opportunity to respond and show you what else you found. This is really something you must try and see. By failing to start making a mind map you are blocking yourself and making the whole process take a lot longer than necessary.

If you saw the mind map that I created for my experiment I'd get an F ... it breaks so many rules, yet it served the purpose of helping me to hone in on the information.

Mind maps are good when they are done to 'your own rules'. Not everyone likes them nor does everyone work well with them. So modify and do what suits you. Even writing points on 3x5 cards is better than no record... it's the interaction between your conscious mind and inner mind that needs to be trained and that is an active process not a passive one. Putting something in writing is like poking a small hole in a dyke it's surprising how fast it begins to flow once you have an opening!

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved