Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30219 08/13/02 03:08 PM
Publius Offline OP
OP Offline

As many of you know, I've been using PR to learn French. I've been PRng the following books almost daily (these are some of the most highly recommended titles for students):

-A French/English Dictionary
-501 French Verbs
-English Grammar for Students of French
-The French Correction

I have been doing all the PRWMS steps except activation; I've just been playing with the books and relying on the more traditional language learning techniques to activate what I've PR'd (In addition to almost eight hours of class and lab time daily, I'm using the Pimsleur course).

Just moments ago, however, I decided to rapid read "The French Correction," a 98-page grammar primer. This was an incredible experience -- my eyes flew across the pages at a speed I've never been capable of before. My eyes focused lightly on every single word, generally in the standard left to right pattern, but I also found myself "capturing" entire lines or groups of words at once.

A couple of questions for the experts:

--What do you think in general of this approach? I'm considering rapid reading the other books as well, even though I have not yet done any of the other activation techniques. The issue often comes up on this board about language learning and how you do in fact want maximum retention of ALL the information. I have a hunch this might be the best way to come close to that goal.
RRng that book was such an interesting experience that I'm considering Rapid Reading a dictionary from beginning to end...is this a crazy idea?

-- While I was RR'ng, I often found that I was not entirely comprehending the words/sentences (vs. regular reading). Is it absolutely necessary to have full comprehension/understanding WHILE you are Rapid Reading? I didn't stress over not understanding some parts/sections; I'm assuming that the RRing will building upon all the PRing I've done and start activating the information.

Thanks in advance for any insight and guidance.

Publius

#30220 08/13/02 09:07 PM

The main thing that you want to obtain from any book that you read, is the information from it that MATTERS to YOU. So, in your asking if it is absolutely necessary for you to comprehend and obtain all the information - that all depends.

First off, how much time are you alotting in between PhotoReading and activation? Sometimes, incubation time can make all the difference in understanding the topic at hand.

If you want all of the information, then previewing, PhotoReading, post-previewing and then Rapid Reading would be my choice. Once you start with a base, you can work your way up.

The PhotoReading Whole Mind System is all about layers. Sort of like computer programming. We began with binary. 00100011011000.

Then - we worked our way up and got to C++, and all that great stuff.

Technology and knowledge today could not have gotten here without the base knowledge.

But hey! That's another topic entirely. Basically my point is - incubation time is probably the key. I could be wrong on this one. But as far as what I've seen in the past, I'll blaze through a book and it wouldn't gel. But if I would have waited a day - it woulda made sense. So I try it again, and WHALA!

So anyways, let us know how much incubation time you're allowing. It's probably something else, and I'm probably way off, but whatever. Let us know. =P

-youngprer

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved