Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30259 08/15/02 05:31 AM
Netwire Offline OP
OP Offline

I found an online speed reading test, and thought that you guys might want to test it out. It will have you push a button when you start to read, and then press another at the end to stop the timer. It will then tell you the speed, and have you take a test to see how much of it you can recall. It will then give you infromation so you can see how good your reading skills are. This is a must for anyone wanting to test their PhotoReading ability online.
http://www.readingsoft.com/

I did over at the infamous readinggenius.com and scored above average or even well on their hardest difficulty.

x Offline

Did the test as a rapidread.

Results:
333wpm
actually clocked it in as 778wpm on a flat out rapidread after I did the comprehension test, during the actual test I read the article twice, then skimmed/dipped for details I didn't fully understand. I'm still not as confident in my rapidreading as I should be.

82% comprehension
I got 9 out of 11 right

I have to bone up on my rapidreading comprehension...my rereads cut my speed in half. And I still subvocalize to this day...*sigh*

tdo Offline

This test does not test how good your reading comprehension skills are. I have been a PR'er for more than a year (and am quite content with the results) and have a background in research and law. I read the passage in just a few seconds and then took the "comprehension" test. I soon realized that these questions were fatally flawed, and that any person that carefully read the questions could probably answer 8 or 9 of them just by using common sense. Just like 'x', I answered 9 of the 11 questions correctly.

For a control, I called a fellow employee and had him take the same test *without* first reading the passage. He too answered 9 of the 11 questions correctly.

The point is, be very weary of "comprehension" tests. If you want a real comprehension test (and thus, an accurate indication of your reading abilities), use the questions at the end of the chapters of a textbook.

[This message has been edited by tdo (edited August 16, 2002).]

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved