Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Can I just ask, at what age do Americans (Im presuming you're Americans,) take SATs in??? Just curious.

[This message has been edited by Laura (edited August 25, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Laura (edited August 25, 2002).]

Ramon, you are very amazing When i got home, it suddenly hit me it was sidis. The i's mixed me up.

Alex, i hope you are off your high-horse by now. People are people & hissy-fits are part of the game. This board and the people who comment here are not perfect. I am what i am & if it bothers you how i comment to others.....don't exacerbate the situation by scolding me It'll only p*ss me off.

Krisk, i was differentiating between mind, intelligence and other than conscious mind. For me, i see a difference in their application. I used examples to explain myself. Sorry to have mixed you up w/ sidis.
I have a question for you: Why did you use the word sorry at the end of your remark? I took it to mean you did understand what i wrote & were telling me it made no sense by placing the word sorry at the end. BUT, now i'm thinking you were telling me that you just didn't understand what i wrote. <<< If that is, in fact, the truth, then please never use the word sorry if you don't understand someone.

There is no need to ever apologize for not understanding something. You have every right to ask anyone to explain themselves more clearly. Next time i make a comment you don't understand--& you'd like to understand it---tell me. I'll give it another shot

[This message has been edited by Margaret (edited August 26, 2002).]

Hello,

Kinda a strange question to ask, "If anyone has been to an Ivy League school? Sat scores"

I think people from all education levels and walks of life are here. Also, I don't think the Ivy League schools are any better than other schools. Of course, I may catch ALOT of flak from that comment

But since you asked UCLA, SAT 1430 (before photoreading - and I had a nasty flu the day of the test - still finished before everyone else)

Humphrey www.not5150.com

Ok, i said sorry because i didnt understand you and felt bad because u wrote so much. And i still didnt understand.

About AlexK, I feel compelled to tell you to leave him alone. He pointed out that you were being a tard, let the others see it also then you scold him because you were probly hoping you could get away with it? In your post you said that he is not allowed to point out your being insulting, yet. I know a couple of other people say your post to him was also insulting. You yourself are allowed to be insulting?

Double Standard?

From what ive seen from your posts in this, You have shown your true colors. And i dont accept your apology.(apologies?) And to be quite frank, I dont even think your worth bothering this much over. Sure you said sorry, but for what reason? To fix your name for yourself on this forum board? Or because you really meant it. In end, You are not worth knowing. Your help comes with a price.

krisk,
I say "sorry" because i meant it from my heart. My energy system is such that if i lie, i end up very sick.

Take care

Ulysses is actually my favourite novel, and one that would benefit from a different take to the normal method of reading. Many, many people fall down on this novel by trying to read it from cover to cover, usually jacking it in somewhere in the third episode (which is a shame, because the fourth is really easy going).

When I used to teach Ulysses (before I discovered PRing) I encouraged my students to appraoch the book laterally: first of all we took it at a pace of one episode a week and, obviously, had the advantage of debating each episode for an hour each week; secondly, we skipped some episodes because they weren't as important and too difficult for the beginner (although I gave them summaries and pointed out the important bits).... after that we used lots of alternative material: TV and radio dramatisations, a cartoon book, quotes from a variety of literary critics, etc. All of this brings the book alive in a way that normal reading doesn't.

The point I'm trying to make is that this is a book that needs to be explored with a sense of adventure, and definitely a spirit of PLAY. You should use your first pass through to find a basic thread from beginning to end, then use subsequent passes to discover new and interesting things (every time I open Ulysses I find something new and interesting).

And this is basically what the PRWMS is all about! So I see it as a book that would benefit greatly from PRing. Perhaps try PRing it episode by episode, treating each one as an individual novella? You should also PR every book about Joyce and Ulysses you can get your hands on too (there are plenty of them) without activating them: they will enrich your understanding of the book when you start activating the different episodes. You'll find you understand a great deal more, syntopically, when you come to activate Ulysses.

So go for it - this is the kind of book that PRing was made for.

Enjoy the odyssey. It's a rich and rewarding journey.

Andy Conway. UK.

x Offline

PRing Joyce's Ulysses would be the Mount Everest of novels for me. I have to train for that. It's just a matter of time...

*goes back to doing pushups and situps*

It's only Mount Everest if you treat it like Mt Everest. Don't be scared of this book, it's really quite enjoyable. Yes, there are a few very dense passages, but there are also a lot of quite simple, entertaining passages too. What struck me first about the book was how funny it can be.

I took 30 Hungarian students through this book, all reading it in English, and they loved it. Not bad for a book that most British literary critics dismiss as 'unreadable'.

I think the reason I could make it so entertaining for them was because, unknowingly, I was kind of adopting a syntopic reading approach, or at least a 'whole mind' approach. you have to read around Ulysses, bring in lots of other guides to help you along the way, and then it makes perfect sense.

Treat it as a syntopic reading project: PR about 20 books about Joyce and Ulysses without activating, then use the whole mind system on the novel itself (I can provide a list for anyone who's interested, and will even email my handouts and lecture notes to anyone who wants them too, once I've converted them into a pdf). Don't look at it as Mt Everest - look at it as a big bouncy castle you can have lots of fun in!

Ulysses. UK

Andy,
You have to one super teacher. I have loved reading your posts on Ulysses. I almost feel like going to the library and PhRing it. Your concept of reading around it is just wonderful.

I also think LS could really benefit from your approach to difficult books. I know i intend to never forget what you have posted.

Synopsis: 1. Difficult book

2. PhR a number of books that relate to it as in syntopic reading.

3. PhR the book

4. Activate it in layers skipping over the most difficult areas and finding the areas of interest.

5. Incubate it & enjoy the results

Ulysses,

I would very much like it if you would post your bibliography here on this thread.

Thanks,
Moises

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved