Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#30605 08/27/02 04:00 PM
OP Offline

just curious, i am trying to develop it myself, hoping photoreading might help me break this old habit too, any ideas?

Uh... I don't know about PR alone, maybe Direct Learning combined with paraliminals...?

There is no way that you will ever be able to use photoreading to become ambi-dexterous. Period. You have to keep practice throwing a baseball everyday with your weak arm and just keep using the weak arm doing more physical things. It took me a long time to develop my weak arm and I still am not close to looking normal throwing a baseball or football. Just keep using your weak arm throwing things because that will be the best way to develop it. Sorry to inform you that photoreading was not going to help.

OP Offline

Thanks, hey are you indian shaan? just wondering.

hey serpentaura,

i am ambidextrous. all it takes is a little bit of practice. the funny part is that i spent several weeks(a few minutes every day) trying to write with my left hand- in which i really did not make much progress and then i forgot all about it for several months. then one day i tried again and lo behold, i could write really well with my left hand. the funny part is that writing with your left hand gives you a weird feeling in the head(perhaps new neuronal connections are being made??).

blue_sky

Take Piano lessons. It's the only instrument that treats both hands equally. Also just do more stuff with your other hand. I think that "handedness" is a bunch of BS and that everyone can do anything with both hands if they just "practice" for decades, like we do with our one hand. Left handed people have no problem driving a stick shift because no one tells them they'll have a problem. Hmm. Tell them they can't write with the right hand and bingo, they can't, because they don't even try.

There's something I never got about handedness; if left handers are right brained and rights handers are left brained, what happens if you're left handed, right footed, right eyed and right eared??? (which is what I am)

Only left handers are in their right minds

Administrator
Administrator

Yes. I am ambidextrous. Photoreading could help using direct learning and perhaps reading the right book to guide you I don't know if being ambidextrous makes any differences since I had that skill all my life. I do however write publicly with my right hand. The welt from the edge of a ruler lasted long enough to let me know which hand I have to use.

Lasted week I PRed How to Think Like Leonardo Da Vinci By Michael Gelb. I haven't activated it yet however I get the impression that Mr Gelb considers there to be some benefits in being able to write with both hands on a persons creative thinking process. He suggest starting off using the less dominant had for everyday task like grooming (brushing teeth combing hair etc) and anything else you happen to think of. Then he also suggest practicing writing your name with your less dominant hand and full sentences. Also another creative activity is mirror writing.

It has been suggested that the reason Leonardo wrote all his personal notes in mirror fashion because he was left handed (he was observed painting and writing mostly with his left hand. I have not found out if Leonardo was in fact ambidextrous himself). One logical reason for writing mirror fashion it would have been a lot faster for him since quills are difficult to hold in an overhand fashion and he would have had to write in some way not to smudge what he had already written. Ink being slow drying, that would have been a major problem. So writing in mirror fashion would have allowed him to get his ideas down fastest.

The book by Michael Gelb also has some info about mind maps... more the reasons why to use them and the apparent fact that they help a person to improve their visual creative skills. Working on your artistic skills is another concept from the book...

I'll activate the book and let you know more of the seven steps Mr gelb refers to if you want to decide if you would like to obtain a copy.

LOL, Laura

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited August 29, 2002).]

On the same vain as Laura, taking that the left handed person is right brained and the right hand person is left brained. Since the right side of the brain is visual and creative whil the left side is Logic and Language, wouldn't it help if the teachers
made a note as to if a child is right or left handed, that way, the specific learning method unique to that child could be utilized (If he is right handed, teach him the subjects in a logical way and if he is left handed, teach him the same subjects in a visual/creative way. Teach both ways to the children but use the main logical or creative first)

I remember talking to Paul Scheele on "handedness" for the Paralminal forum. Despite the common belief, being left or right handed does not automatically translate to switched hemispheric dominance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved