Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Meurphy Offline OP
OP Offline

Taking the skeptical point of view:

(we'll say for a better understanding)

Now, let's see... You prepare, you preview

you go into hocus pocus, oh I should say

photo phocus, you incubate then you Activate.

IF I WERE TO PREVIEW AND ACTIVATE I WOULD
GET THE SAME RESULTS AS NOW.

I incubated for two days... 48 hours and when I went to activate I easly found the paragraphs that contain the answers that I want. The only thing I really did was rapid read and dip.

At this point couldn't we just skip photo phocus?

What should I really be expecting from this program?

Where does photo Phocus actually help here?

I can get the same answers I want from just rapid reading and dipping, this is not photo reading if such a thing even exists.

It is misleading to say "25,000 words a minute" especaily when you spend most your time trying to activate nothing. The activation proccess does't give you an insight on what you have photo read, it forces you to dig into the book to find aswers to questions.

Activation is just another way of scrummaging around in the book.

YOU DON'T ACTIVATE TO MAKE SENSE OF WHAT YOU PHOTO READ.

Like the saying goes, "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is."

Does the saying apply here?

quote:
Originally posted by Meurphy:

Does the saying apply here?

I don't know...does it?

Meurphy Offline OP
OP Offline

You tell me. You are supposebly use the system. Do you really use photo phocos??

Administrator
Administrator

It makes a whole lot of difference. By photoreading the book in photofocus before trying to activate you are more easily able to focus on the answers to the question. In photofocus you have read the whole book super fast. Sa now whatever questions you form you are able to locate the answer in the book much faster.

You activate it to make it become conscious knowledge because ironically inwardly you already know the answer after having photoread it.

For me the proof that photofocus part of photoreading is the most important part has been my accidental learning. I photoread a whole series of web pages in photofocus looking for information about a specific topic. This allowed me to hone in on the information I was seeking. However the pages that I viewed had a lot of other useful information the I was not consciously seeking. It was only later that I realised how I obtained so much information on the topic.

I have also applied the Photofocus part of photoreading to books for direct learning. Only photoreading the book not activating them. From time to time I have been prompted to find out how I knew something and when I posed the question where did I learn that? I found myself picking up one of the books I direct learnt from and opening the page with the answer to my question.

It boils down to the fact that Photoreading in photofocus does imput the information in your mind. The manual activation techniques just brings it to the conscious mind.

Using superreading and dipping just to hunt through the book without photoreading it first is driving into a new town and looking for the bakery. If you don't know what street it's on how much longer is it going to take you to find it.

By photoreading the book before activation it becomes like having a map of the area that tells you what store is where. You ask where the bakery is and the map shows you... you just drive to the spot on the map and there is what you are looking for.

Yoo do in fact photoread 25,000 words a minute on average and you have in fact inputted the information on your mind when you do this. The conscious understanding of the information is gained through activation. That's why with practice the information comes to you faster and faster.

I have photoread a book with the intent of obtaining certain information from it quickly. Within 3 minutes of photoreading the book I was applying the knowledge and now have it in my long tern memory. Because I photoread the book my mind was able to pinpoint the important pages to me for this project. Had I tried to regular read or hunt and peck for the information in this 200 page book I'd have had to spend at least 30 minutes on it.I know from my past past experience in similar situations.

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited September 14, 2002).]

Hel Offline

I think it's harder for people who usually read in a intuitive way to notice the benefits/usefulness of the PR step. When I started to learn PR, I realized that the way I naturally 'read' was pretty well a combination of the other steps without the PR step, except I didn't have it formalized into a system, and I didn't even call it reading, as that's not how reading's conventionally defined. Now I read the same way I used to, with the PR step added, and go through the steps more systematically. I haven't noticed a lot of difference using the PR step yet. But I feel more confident doing reading my natural way, usually (not always) with the PR step added, and now I do call that reading.

I do feel that my reading speed has increased, and that it's easier to let go of info I don't need, and the whole process of reading is more efficient. The feeling of confidence is great to have.

Administrator
Administrator

The photofocus part is a totally different way to read/learn and gather information. For the most part we are unaccustomed to it and find it hard to believe that the information goes into our head that way. That belief in fact becomes the blocker from getting the information out,

The reason the system feels so strange is because you do absorb that information during the photoreading/photofocus stage. The information went in, in a way we were not orginally taught. It is not anything like regular reading and never will be. It's a totally different experience. This is why it is so important to play with it or rather take a more playful attitude toward learning it.

Because the information went in, in a way that is new to us, we also need to learn to allow our inner mind to tell our conscious mind what the information was. That's why the manual activation techniques of superreading and dipping are so necessary. The manual activation technique is a starting point for allowing that communication. When we ask a question and almost immediately we find the right page and even the right paragraph, we can understand that some sort of communication has taken place. Usually we fail to notice that we are acting on promptings from our inner mind. This makes us wonder if the system works.

It works alright, and if it saves me 27 minutes of searching a book to find an answer and all I need to invest was 3 minutes photofocus. Then you won't find me skipping that step on a book In reality it saves even more time over conventional reading methods.

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited September 14, 2002).]

"Because the information went in, in a way that is new to us, we also need to learn to allow our inner mind to tell our conscious mind what the information was. That's why the manual activation techniques of superreading and dipping are so necessary. The manual activation technique is a starting point for allowing that communication. When we ask a question and almost immediately we find the right page and even the right paragraph, we can understand that some sort of communication has taken place. Usually we fail to notice that we are acting on promptings from our inner mind. This makes us wonder if the system works."

Can you still get as much info from a book by previewing / postviewing / rapid/superreading etc without pring at all?
And what happens if you just pr without anything else? can you still remember stuff from the book? I mean I understand youd have to do superreading and stuff to begin with to get used to exchanging info from your subconscious to conscious mind, but can experienced prers understand a book by just pring?

I dont doubt for a second that your subconscious can proccess 25k wpm, but Im a bit skepical about whether its possible to recognise words at that speed. Or is that the same thing?? Actually, come to think of it, I dont know what Im talking about oh well...

~Laura~

Administrator
Administrator

quote:
Can you still get as much info from a book by previewing / postviewing / rapid/superreading etc without pring at all?

Probably yes, however my experience is that it takes much longer. Thats why I prefer to spend the 3 to 10 minutes photoreading the book first. It saves a lot of hunting and if the information isn't in the book I know it inwardly straight away. (that comes with experience)

quote:
And what happens if you just pr without anything else? can you still remember stuff from the book? I

If you just PR the book without activation, yes, you know the information internally however you lack the conscious connection 'that you know and how you know'. You sometimes find the information coming up and there have been photoreaders who have answered exam questions successfully having only photoread the text book without activation. That this works depends on your willingness to trust your inner mind. That is why it is recommeded that you do the activation step, to build that trust/faith in the system.

I have PRed books without activation and used the knowledge I gained from them. Eg I photoread a business planning book, did not activate it, yet was able to provide information on a number of aspect of business planning to help someone write an essay. Whereas prior to photoreading the book I was at a lost as to how I, would even approach the essay. I was quizzed about the topic and from the information I provided an essay was written. The resulting essay earned 70%, losing marks for incorrect layout.

To this day I haven't activated the book since I am not personally interested in the topic. It came up as a subject recently with a friend. I think he is impressed with how much of the finer detail we were able to discuss about someones proposed business.

So yes the information is placed into the inner mind at that rapid pace.

quote:
I dont doubt for a second that your subconscious can proccess 25k wpm, but Im a bit skepical about whether its possible to recognise words at that speed.

While the eyes provide the lens it is the mind that sees. Put another way, without our brain to interpret what we see, everything we see would just be pretty colours anyway. It's our thinking/mental interpretation that helps to make it make sense.

Alex

If you pick up a book and just start Supereading/Dipping/Skittering you could be "done" with it in half an hour.

Meurphy Offline OP
OP Offline

OK, let's be serious now.

I preview, photo read and then activate.

I am not lost in the book because I remember what I previewed and came up with questions for my purpose. All I do is look for the subtitle that I wrote down and then I dip into the paragraphs I want to know about.
I have tried both ways as an experement.

My results are this: When I do the photo reading step I find what I want easly and have bad dreams.

When I skip the photo reading step I finish sooner than if I photo read and I have no nasty night mares.

Hmmmm.... My inner mind is not proccessing like it should??

I don't really know...

All I know is it isn't satisfactory at this point.

- Meurphy

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved