Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
AlexM Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi,
I am very intrigued by Scheele's claim that I can photoread the reading assignment for a college class and then activate it in lecture the next day as the professor talks about the subject. I'm not having too much success with this, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestion to help enhance activation during lectures. Most of my lectures are on Engineering subjects so the lectures are comprised of derivations, formulas, and examples... I'm also in a mass communications class and most of those lectures are on first amendment cases (this guy argued 3 casses in front of the US supreme court! pretty amazing). But i'm going off on a tangent. I need help with lecture activation on technical and public policy studies.

Thanks,
Alex McClain

How do you prepare for class activation? If you're only just photoreading, well, it will work eventually, but I suggest you help it along with a little previewing. After you photoread your materials, just thumb through them to see what's there. I find this forms a good basis for class activation even when you don't think you gained anything from the postview.
Mind-mapping during classes might help as well, though the freenoters might suggest well, freenoting.

KWLee

AlexM Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes, I'm previewing before PR and I also mind-map during the lectures to take notes. But neither of these seem to be helping me activate during class

Try PhRing a book from one class. PhR it a few times w/ the last time being right before sleep. Then listen to Memory Supercharger.

Lastly: State to yourself that you will experience activation of this book in class.

Most important: Forget about it.<<< Just state your goal & then get out of the way to let it happen. Paul makes this point too.

I'd like to expand on that point about just let it go. Don't keep looking for activation experiences. Relax. Or perhaps you're expecting activation in a specific form? The effects of photoreading can be very subtle. Just go in and immerse yourself in the lecture. If you must check for activation, I suggest you do it afterwards.
It's a little like photoreading itself, I sometimes think. Remain physically and emotionally open. Don't bother with grasping. It's like when you're trying to remember something that just won't come. Let go and just focus on the lecture.
If still nothing comes, perhaps you might want to try freenoting after all.

KWLee
KWLee

[This message has been edited by KWLee (edited October 22, 2002).]

I'm also going into engineering. I find that it's almost as if the stuff I know from photo-reading and mind-mapping seems like stuff I already now because I've learned it so solidly and effortlessly. Mind-mapping helps me with the big picture. The details which engineering focuses on, I haven't figured a way to take care of those. The nice thing about this system is before I used to have so much troubles with reading but now I can focus when I read.

It has helped me out a lot, mainly when I do research for a paper, not so much with text books when you need the engineering beyond 100% comprehension.

AlexM,

This is not an answer to your question, but it may help you some.

Try PRing the teacher. Yes, you read correctly, PhotoRead the teacher. He/She is showing all kinds of talent and knowledge in front of the class. Be sure to state your purpose exactly, "I want this certain knowledge and understanding of things from my teacher". If you don't state your purpose exactly enough, you will get also the behaviour of your teacher.... you may not want it...

The information you get will most certainly be activated automatically.

I'm not in school anymore, so I've not done it with any school teacher, but I've done this with my Qi Gong teacher. Works wonders! -purjo

It helps if you use the information. Certainly for technical subjects. Take the information away from the classroom. Where do you use the information? How shall you know that your level of knowledge has increased or the subject matter is easier? This is where activation shall occur, not passively sat in a lecture hall. Imagine yourself interacting with the information for the next few days and notice the difference. It certainly helped me

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved