Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32136 10/23/02 09:47 PM
sharb Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi there,

I purchased the photo reading course and am extremely excited to get proficient using it. I am, however, a bit frustrated and was hoping I could ask here to see if my concerns are even warranted.

Let me preface by saying that I am on 'Tape 5' and am enjoying what I have done so far. My concern, however, is that it seems that photo reading is not what I thought it was. After photoreading the book that came with the course, then later activating what i read, I don't see any difference than if I just 'skimmed' through the pages that interested me.

Example: I am a computer programmer. I have a 1000page reference book on 'C' (computer language) that I want to read, and my purpose would be to get proficient in creating a database application, lets say.

If I don't employ any photoreading techniques, i would just pick the book up.. look for the area that handles databases, skim through what I need..

How is photo-reading different from this?

As I said, I photo-read the book yesterday in the course, and activated today. I see activating as looking in the index, finding what i need answered, then skimming through it and 'dipping' in where things I need to know are written.

Believe me, please, I am not being pescimistic. I really want this to work, thats why I am posting! I want to be told I am wrong, and I want to be shown what I am doing wrong. Maybe just a nudge in the right direction, or a "Don't worry it gets better" would be great.

My purpose to learn how to photoread is not to pick out certain things out of a 1000 page book. Most of my books are types that I need all the info contained in it at first, then for reference later.

Is photoreading what I should be doing?

Thanks so much for any help!

#32137 10/23/02 10:01 PM

Sharb,
You wrote: After photoreading the book that came with the course, then later activating what i read, I don't see any difference than if I just 'skimmed' through the pages that interested me. This is such an interesting comment for me to read. Do you know how many people pick up books and start w/ the first page and never think about skimming to find things that interest them? Lots, if not most. So, from the get-go you are using a PhRing technique.

Why not take a 200 page book of an area you are not familiar w/. PhR it. Activate it. Then figure out if you saved yourself any time.

For your goal: my purpose would be to get proficient in creating a database application. This is an excellent goal. Narrow it down to exactly what kind of db you want. What things will be included in it? Formulate enuff questions to satisfy yourself. Then start layering your db by finding info. You should be able to find it quickly thanks to PhRing and detailed questions. I think for people like you, PhRing is perfect. You're already at a high level w/ your ability to skim & find info that interests you.

#32138 10/23/02 10:12 PM
Administrator
Administrator

You'll notice that it gets better and better. Your skimming speed/results improve as a result of photoreading. There will be times when you seem to know the answer without opening the book again after photoreading bypassing skimming altogether. One additional benefit. Once you Photread the book you seem to know where to find the answers faster... you skip staight to the book/page reducing the re-reading and skimmng in the future.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved