Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32187 10/26/02 05:24 AM
OP Offline

The Superreading I got to get in photofocus and look to the center of the page and follow my intuition?
Or I got to read with speed without worry about comprehension ?
I think It´s a little stupid question but this wouldn´t be good to my developement in Pring.

#32188 10/25/02 07:07 PM
Hel Offline

You only need to be in photofocus for the photoreading step. But yes, do let your intuition guide you during superreading and dipping.

#32189 10/25/02 07:41 PM

Hi

"The Superreading I got to get in photofocus and look to the center of the page and follow my intuition?"

As has already been pointed out, you only need to be in photofocus during the Photoreading step. During the s/r and dip session, use the tangerine technique to widen your vision. Relax, but remain alert. As you superread down the pages, you'll find that there are areas of interest that seem to draw you. Dip for these and read them lightly.

"Or I got to read with speed without worry about comprehension ?"

You will need to s/r with comprehension, but probably in a different sense from what you mean here. When you s/r, you are building your comprehension from a whole-to-parts perspective. Hence, "comprehending" in the early s/r sessions might just involve getting an overall feel of the reading material. It's a little like, "What's there?" After that, additional activation sessions will fill in the more minute details.

Hope this helps.

KWLee

#32190 10/27/02 02:02 PM
OP Offline

Ok but I don´t have to dip only where I saw the trigger words?. Because if I would superread with comprehension that slow me down.
And the impression that gives me is that you superread a book in 30 to 40 min, right? this in the first layer.

If I superread with comprehension I spend 1 min per page.Hoe many time do you do ?

#32191 10/27/02 03:10 PM

"Ok but I don´t have to dip only where I saw the trigger words?. Because if I would superread with comprehension that slow me down."

I personally don't use trigger words, but no, you don't just dip when you see trigger words. (In fact, you might even choose NOT to dip at a trigger word!) You dip when you get the feeling that a particular sentence/paragraph is important. When you get the feeling of "Hey! What's that again?" That's when you dip. Superreading is already a fast process. Perhaps you might not want to worry too much at first if you have to slow down. Once you do it a few times, you'll probably pick up speed. We don't always begin by riding bicycles at 200mph! You're learning a new process. Take time to experience it.

"And the impression that gives me is that you superread a book in 30 to 40 min, right? this in the first layer."

The ideal time is about 30 minutes. And that's for all layers. You might want to read AlexK's post on the experiment he did as that really helps you to get a feel for how layering is done and the timing.

"If I superread with comprehension I spend 1 min per page.Hoe many time do you do ?"

Do you mean s/r once? Or twice? Five times? How much of that page do you actually really need? The idea of superreading is building a comprehension from whole to parts. If you take 1 minute per page, you're probably dipping too much, and won't be able to get through the book in the time set.

Personally, it takes me a few activation passes to actually get the stuff to gel. I think it still averages to much less than 1 min per page. Also, I should note that I PR mostly technical material, which sometimes may require rapid reading to completely gel. With a novel, I just want to enjoy the reading, but I manage to get through that on rapid reading in a few hours.

I hope I've understood your questions properly and given them helpful responses. If I've misunderstood, particularly that last bit, please let me know and I'll see if I can help.

KWLee

#32192 10/27/02 04:01 PM
OP Offline

KWLee thanks for the answer

Yes, you DID answer right.
But I am still curious how to S/r and dip a whole book in 30 min.
Or is Just a part of the book?(

ok if you could answer that question for now ,thanks now I am going to read the AlexK post.
Thanks.

#32193 10/27/02 04:09 PM
OP Offline

Ohhhhh I forgot something

Is just a experience that I have.
In the "superreading and dip " I looked to the center of the page and focused.
And then I followed my intuticion and I dipped.
And i founded the trigger words. Well I haven´t supereaded but I found the Trigger Words.
Isn´t this kind of thing the Dictionary game.
Well Just that

#32194 10/27/02 08:17 PM

"But I am still curious how to S/r and dip a whole book in 30 min.
Or is Just a part of the book?("

This is something you have to decide for yourself. As I noted in a different thread, chapter by chapter activation may be the best approach for textbooks. It depends on you. For example, I usually take 30 minutes to very lightly s/r and dip a book which I may not need from front to back. This gives me an idea of the general layout of the book, the ideas involved and how mathematical/argumentative the author is. I note what the author is trying to say, or whether he is trying to say a whole lot of things together. After that, I may choose to activate a few chapters at a time. Of course, the problem with this is that it takes many more s/r and dipping sessions to gel than it would if I were doing a single chapter. By this time, I would pretty much know what was being said. If necessary, I might proceed with a chapter by chapter activation or even rapid reading. Still, you will have your own best strategy for this. Play around to see what might give you better activation. The technique which works best for you is yours.

"Is just a experience that I have.
In the "superreading and dip " I looked to the center of the page and focused.
And then I followed my intuticion and I dipped.
And i founded the trigger words. Well I haven´t supereaded but I found the Trigger Words.
Isn´t this kind of thing the Dictionary game."

I think the fact that you found the trigger words is a sign that your PR step is working. Develop a sense of curiosity about these words. Ask questions about them like how, what, why, when, who. This serves to pique your interest and allows your mind to direct you to the part of the text you need. Dip and read a sentence or two about the trigger words. Afterwards, place these on your mindmap and see how many ideas you can link to them. And yes, this is very close up the alley of the Dictionary Game.
On another note, the s/r step is done by running your eyes down the centre of the page. This sounds slightly different from the process you used, but that's really okay, as long as it works for you. Being a rather analytical person, I use a combination of s/r and skittering. Again, play with the system and find out what works for you.

KWLee

#32195 10/28/02 05:51 AM
Administrator
Administrator

With superreading and dipping you are looking for answers to your questions that you formed from your trigger words. By superreading and dipping you are looking for the answers. The answer may be one sentance, one paragraph or one page in the whole book. You use your intuition to tell you to slow down and read a particular section because it has something to do with your questions. If it's the answer great you look for the answer to the next question if not you speed up to superreading again.

When you notice something... be it trigger words or a word that causes curiosity you go in for a quick read... this takes 2 to 10 second for you to know that this is information you are seeking or want to know. It's OK if you missed it on your first activation pass. Yoy pass over it again superreading and dipping for answers to other questions.

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited October 28, 2002).]

#32196 10/28/02 03:45 PM
OP Offline

thanks to KWLee and AlexK

Hi I finally get it.Thank you very much.
Before I was trying the superreading like this:
I looked fastly all the line ( Some times 2 or 3
lines all together) without comprehension.
So now I am going from de top center to the down center. Right?

Thanks again

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved