Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32843 11/27/02 01:01 PM
DazJ Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, I have just ordered the photoreading book and I am waiting for it to arrive. I have been reading this forum for a long time now and I feel I already know quite a lot about PR!

Before I invest lots of time in learning PR, what I would like to know is, is it really worth it, and are there enough benefits of doing it?

I am quite confused as from what I read here, it doesn't seem as if there is that much benefit from PR compared to regular reading/skimming. For example, it seems that after the activation, you only end up knowing the parts you activated! If this is true, then what is the difference between PR and just normal skimming to find out what you need to know? If this is not true, and you only need to activate certain parts in order to know all of it, then why do some people mention activating twice or more, to get more out of the book?

I hope I am not being too cynical and that I will be greatly reassured!

#32844 11/27/02 01:34 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Using the PRWMS you are able to gain the same level (and often better) comprehension that you would get from regular reading in 1/3 the time that it takes you to regular read a book. Lots of gains (you can improve your comprehension by adding an extra activation pass or 2) and you save time. If a book take you 12 hours to regular read you will be able to complete the book in 4 hours or less and have the same or better comprehension. Even less time is required with regular use of the system.

Rather than being concerned with how the activation will work wait till you've read the book before putting limits on what can be done using the system.

Is it worth it? To me yes, very much so. Having tested the system on a book where I would had at best 20% comprehension from a book that would have taken me 13 hours just to regular read. Using photoreading I finished the book in 3 hours with 70% comprehension. I know it's worth it. You still need to try it and see for yourself.

Alex

#32845 11/30/02 08:32 AM

Hi DazJ,

I started PRing in the last 2 semesters of my BSCS degree. Now I'm in Grad school and it is the _only_ method I use for studying. For my MSCIT classes, I frequently have 2 or more books of 1000 pages. I PR the books 2 to 4 weeks before classes start, then again the night before the first class. Many times I will also PR the specific chapters that are covered the night before a class. Then, class itself is the activiation. If I need more detail for homework or tests, I skitter through the material.

I'm currently holding a 3.944 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale). In high school and my first attempt at college I was a straight 2.0 student.

Yes, it's worth it.
Mike

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved