Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
x Offline OP
OP Offline

http://www.geniusbydesign.com/gbdpapers/ladder.shtml

I found it today, it's from 1997 so it's pretty old. Turco posits that previewing hinders Direct Learning (outlined in chapter 10 in Natural Brilliance and in chapter 13 in The PhotoReading WMS).

Could it be that previewing is a transitional step to move us from the old traditional way of studying to a faster multilayered one? If so, could it be that once we make the move to ALS/subconscious learning, we may need to replace previewing (and rapidreading and other conscious mental triggers) with subconscious triggers to continue speeding up our learning?

If so, would it follow that the steps of PR move over time from
purpose
prepare
preview/restate purpose
photoread
review
:mmap table of contents/index keywords
activation:incubate/mindprobe, sr/dip, mmap
possible rapidread

to
purpose/prepare
photoread
review
:mmap toc/index, formulate questions
incubate:imagestream
activation: increase sr/dips, add to mmap

and finally, to
purposeful preparation: hypnosis, nl.p, h.p.e., a.t.
photoread
review:mmap table of contents/index keywords
incubate: imagestream, a.t. meditation, lucid dreams
individual activation:multiple sr/dips, toc/index keyword mmaps
group activation: group feedback/discussion, freenoting

In the last PR setup, purpose would become a full step instead of an implied one.

Subconscious triggers would be added to every other step, making the system a precognition/activation one instead of an investigative one. We'd end up using our intuition to think more than the conscious mind.

The last 2 steps (incubation and activation) would become a feedback loop until we understood the material to our liking, and this loop is superior to rapidreading.

Incubation (which is now a byproduct of the activation step) would become a full step as subconscious triggers are added to it. Could we incubate using Kai Kermani's 6 step autogenic training meditation? Sounds plausible to me...many of us already incubate using the memory supercharger, which is similar.

Wouldn't group activation become more important to spur more imagestreams and fire up our freenoting? (Wenger's freenoting resembles the surrealist technique of automatic writing to me)

And finally, would the Six Hats method be integrated into a group activation, would it help or hinder the PR process?

if any of my guesses proves to be true, then all this other reading i've been doing may be related after all!

*maybe there is an end to all the confusion...*

am i making any sense here?

[This message has been edited by x (edited December 01, 2002).]

Good questions.

quote:
Originally posted by x:
http://www.geniusbydesign.com/gbdpapers/ladder.shtml

Turco posits that previewing hinders [b]Direct Learning (outlined in chapter 10 in Natural Brilliance and in chapter 13 in The PhotoReading WMS).[/B]

We always suggest that people experiment. If you have the feeling it might hinder, that is a legitimate concern from your nonconscious.

But as we've found with all PhotoReading, it is better to limit the previewing to 5-8 minutes for books. Or, preview 1 minute, PhotoRead, then postview for 5-8 minutes without formulating questions.

x Offline OP
OP Offline

I've used postviewing myself instead of previewing because postviewing helps my mind gear up for activation and mindmapping in a smoother way for my personal learning style.

Is it possible that previewing causes us to want to slow down and analyze too much? Previewing on the surface seems a lot like normal analytical studying. Could it be our analytical brain associates a preview with normal research tactics?

Inquiring minds want to know

Very interesting article. What is this HPE he talks about?

Administrator
Administrator

For direct learning either way it works for me. I find I hardly need to preview or postview other than knowing that the books relate to the topic I am interested in for direct learning.

For photoreading with the intent to activate I wind up doing more of a postview now since I usually PR the book to get an idea of if it contains anything of interest to me so previewing is about 2 to 3 minutes at best. Just to decide what the book is about (e.g. fiction or non fiction, general idea of the topic). The way I see it previewing was already done when I first picked up the book . Yet even so I find reason to spend a bit of time looking for trigger words and previewing up to 8 minutes on other occasions. Usually for text that I want to activate in depth, I find the trigger words help me to pull out more from the book in the shortest time, it does improve comprehension.

That previewing causes you to slow down an analyse too much? Quite possible. I've noticed that a lot of doubts about ones ability to activate the book develop before actually photoreading. Thoughts like this is too complicated, or I'll never figure this out are harder to control. It is pretty clear that your mind is still functioning on a different 'wavelenght' after having photoread the text and placed it in your inner mind and is better able to hold onto the sense of curiosity.

I still see it as good practice to learn the photoreading process by doing a preview first. Many people when they pick up a book have not trained themselves to establish a purpose for reading. In particular where the text is mandatory for studies. They have no idea what they want or need from a book. The previewing habit trains the mind to focus on getting information from the text, laying a foundation that becomes faster with use, so that it seems that we are not even previewing a book anymore.

I think it pays to remain flexible. If someone asked me to 'read' a book that I have no personal interest or is totally new to me, I am inclinded to do a preview to prepare my mind for. Topics that I have an interest in, Photoread as soon as possible.

It's the same as acknowledging that sometimes activation will take longer than on other occasions, whether it is because I am not really interested in 'reading' or the authors style does not appeal to me. You need to remain flexible and find what works best for you and when.

Alex

x Offline OP
OP Offline

i have to agree with alex and dana. it's been awhile since i've seen this post but i've found that different days and different books need different tactics.

sometimes i preview for 10 minutes and frankly i don't even need to pr the book. other times i jump in and pr the book.

and i agree with you alex about the purpose. it really does make a huge difference when you read for a reason instead of just sort of picking up a book and reading without knowing why (although that can be fun too *hehe*)

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved