Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33199 12/18/02 02:09 AM
OP Offline

hi.. i just got my photoreading tape set..

i have a test on jan 10th. i am wondering if i will have time to learn and use PR for it, if i practice every day.
i also have bought memory supercharger and personal genius to help me.

could someone please give me some advice on how i should best proceed so that i can pass.

thank you

#33200 12/18/02 03:05 AM

Sounds like a lot of pressure. Definately take some time to listen to Memory Supercharger and Personal Genius every day. It might be better to wait until after the test to launch fully into PhotoReading, although there is nothing to loose (not even time) from PhotoReading the texts the test will be on. It would be a good idea to do multiple PhotoReads of it, perhaps every day.

In the PhotoReading 3rd Edition book, there is a "five day plan" for spending five days on a book. All in all, it falls somewhere short of three hours if you stick to the book's time guidelines. Definately worth doing this to your test materials.

In any case, a big part of the success in PhotoReading is letting go of the need to know the answers or information. (This is echoed in the Memory Supercharger). People have done wonderful on tests because they figured they were going to fail if they didn't PhotoRead, so they had nothing to loose. However, a short deadline can create stresses which inhibit the free flow of information through your whole mind.

Ultimately, I have faith that you are even now formulating the best way to go about achieving your goals.

#33201 12/18/02 05:21 AM
Administrator
Administrator

The time you have between now and the test will be better spent on your regular study techniques. The stress and tension of preparing for your test will probably make it difficult for you to devote enough time to learning to photoread and be confident enough that photoreading works for you. The time before a test is really a bad time to start 'experimenting' with something new.

I suggest you do use the memory supercharger everyday especially after your daily study session. State your purpose whenever you put the tape on I suggest something like "i intend to easily recall the information that I have learnt today, when/as I need it". If you choose to learn photoreading during this time, do approach it with the sense of relaxation and play. Play with practicing the photoreading step on your textbook and let go of any expectations of seeing certain results. Most definately do what ever you normally to enter a remain calm and relaxed.

Good luck
Alex

#33202 12/18/02 08:58 AM

Just a little input from someone who was in the same position;

I had lost faith in my old techniques, so I gave it a try, and was happy I did so!

I had three weeks.

But it was because Photoreading made total sense to me and I knew I could do it if I was particular about following the instructions!

And I gave myself permission to combine it with my old ways that worked whenever I felt the need to do so. Not often, but it was important to me to know this, so I did not feel stressed.

My advice? Ask yourself if you are willing to take the chance!

If you panic; go back to study in your old way for the test.

And instead;
just have fun with PR for a session or so ( on studymaterial ), sometime during the day,every day, when you feel up to being playful. And follow the good advices that have been given by the earlier posts here.

This might turn out to be very helpful on your test, but look at it as ekstra bonus.

As I said; I did it because I felt I had nothing to lose

Good Luck on your test!!

Laughing-heart

#33203 12/18/02 09:41 PM

Hi

I strongly recommend that you hang on to the tape set at the moment, and focus on your test. It is a month away, but mastering photoreading will take up time that could be better spent on study at this point. Even if you did get it, it might be a little late for you to use.

Furthermore, it takes awhile to adjust study methods, even if photoreading takes off for you immediately. I got it quite quickly, but even then I had a struggle in letting go. My usual methods didn't allow me to pass something I had not yet understood and come back later! I was severely slowed down by my attitude, and PR changed that, but it took quite awhile.

As the others suggested, use the Memory Supercharger and Personal Genius paraliminals. I'd like to emphasise the importance of stating your purpose before using these - it makes a huge difference. Those will definitely help you in your test.

You could listen to the tapes and use photoreading in your spare time, but at this point, I'd say it's "as well as" rather than "instead of" your usual approach.

Laughingheart, I've been curious, and would like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind. You say you applied photoreading to an exam. Did you apply the whole process, or just bits? Was there any other method you used? How did you do?

KWLee

[This message has been edited by KWLee (edited December 18, 2002).]

#33204 12/19/02 09:40 AM

QUOTE]Originally posted by KWLee:

You could listen to the tapes and use photoreading in your spare time, but at this point, I'd say it's "as well as" rather than "instead of" your usual approach.
[/QUOTE]

Well put; that is what I meant might be the best approach if the exam is important

quote:
Originally posted by KWLee:

Laughingheart, I've been curious, and would like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind. You say you applied photoreading to an exam. Did you apply the whole process, or just bits? Was there any other method you used? How did you do?

When I received the cassettes I blasted through all of them that first weekend, doing all the exercises that was asked of me.

- PRing books in my spare time, to get past the first ten.

Then I took the cassette that guided you through the whole PWMS process and followed the instructions while I worked with my studymaterial ( economics and mathematics ). I also wrote down (and read) good purpose-sentences that were provided for me here in the forum by good helpers.

When I felt comfortable with the process I began listening to soft music instead, while reading.

I PRd the major books every day ( 10?). I also PRd basic books on the material as I found them, as a backup, because I had a hard time understanding the material.

I had one week on each subject.2 subjects.

I superread and dipped 30 minute sessions with 20 minute breaks between. Hoping I had chosen the right chapters( my challenge).

Never more than 4 30min sessions before I went for a swim or something.

Tried to get two such bulks every day.

Did not yet feel I learned anything that would stick (bad self-esteem) but I trusted the prosess. As I said, I had nothing to lose.

I listened to the memorysupercharger every evening.

But:
It was *too* important to me to have a good overview of the subjects ( I know PR is perfect for that) but was not sure if I had enough time to get it through PWMS, since I was still learning it. So I also used my old and rather painstaking, timeconsuming technique of mindmapping the subject ( never really finishing them) and tried picturing how the subjects were structured in the books.

Calmed me down. Next time I will combine it with what comes up during PR/SR/D.

( I really need to get better mindmapping-technique; too engrossed in details.)

And I read outload important formulas while moving around in the room. (I have finally learned that I am a mix of being quite visual, auditive and kinestetic, which makes me very impatient if I just emphasize one of the senses.)

I worked on solving basic problems from the undergraduate level.to build confidence.

My challenge has been that I feel I *have to* have a fairly good overview of the subjects before I am calm enough to learn the specifics needed to pass a test. ( We donīt have multiple questions unfortunately; they have always been easy for me. )

My obstacle has been Major Impatience when studying and not being able to follow a structured plan while reading. Some have said it is because I am halv-and-halv; donīt have a dominant right/left sided brain, which makes me jump back and forth between the urge to concentrate on detail/overview.

Which is good when I learn to harness it, but so far it has been *very* random and just gotten me confused, untill I understood what was happening.

- I have been very down and discouraged -

PWMS gave me structure!!!

And I never doubted that through PR I carried the information in my inner mind!
Because I trusted the system, it was easier to calm myself down and stay focused.

So for the first time in a long time I was *calm* on the exam and permittet info to float into my mind as I was writing the questions on a mindmap and brainstormed.

It did!!

I have not yet received the results so I do not know how well I have done, but I know I have done better than in a long time and that is enough for me right now.

I am certainly still a novice!! But I feel I have gotten on a good start with PWMS and it can only get better and better

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved