Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#33239 12/18/02 10:25 AM
OP Offline

1. i can get the blip page very easy when im standing up, but cant do diddly when im sitting down at the desk. X? what X? i see no stinking X.

2. how the heck do i hold onto books at a 45 degree angle and turn the pages? i try and all i get is a tremendous pain in my arms, from the pressure acquired from resting them on the desk; practice wont take that away unless i develop giant callouses.

3. it took me somewhere around 18 minutes to preview a 200 page book. im not reading for comprehension ... im reading the index, the headings, the subheadings, looking for italic/bold words, the first/last page and covers ... im suppose to do that in 5 minutes .. AND write down 25 trigger words? it aint happen.

4. relax? have fun? play with it and dont be too hard on myself? easier said then done!

5. my purpose usually stinks b/c its so vague. "i want to know the main points in this book. I want to learn this skill." whoever has great purpose/questions ... let me know! i want to know the stanislavski method. too vague$@@# but how do i come up with more specific questions?

6. sub-vocalization!@$@ i dont feel ive read crap without sub-vocalization. grrrr.

(book death tally from frustration: 1 dictionary ripped in two)

time for a break from this .. suggestions though will be blah blah blah .. you know the drill.

ploppsdman@yahoo.com

#33240 12/18/02 01:42 PM
Administrator
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by ploppsdman:
1. i can get the blip page very easy when im standing up, but cant do diddly when im sitting down at the desk. X? what X? i see no stinking X.

The imaginary X technique! You use your imagination and think of what points the tips and center of the X would touch if you were to draw one. It would touch the outer corners of the book and the intersection of the 2 diagonals would be right in the folds of the gutter in the middle of the book.

Those are your points of reference when you use a soft gaze to look at the open pages. The idea is to be aware of 'seeing' those parts of the book while you photoread. The 4 corners and the middle of the book.

quote:
2. how the heck do i hold onto books at a 45 degree angle and turn the pages? i try and all i get is a tremendous pain in my arms, from the pressure acquired from resting them on the desk; practice wont take that away unless i develop giant callouses.

I found an empty arch lever file with a 2.5 to 3 inch spine works as a nice prop. Alternately you could elvate the book with one or 2 other books to get the desired angle.

quote:
3. it took me somewhere around 18 minutes to preview a 200 page book. im not reading for comprehension ... im reading the index, the headings, the subheadings, looking for italic/bold words, the first/last page and covers ... im suppose to do that in 5 minutes .. AND write down 25 trigger words? it aint happen.

You do not look at every single page flip 20 or so pages and notice what you see on that page pick a trigger word and move on... detailed preview isn't what we are after just an idea of whether you want to read the book... it is quite possible to collect 25 trigger words in 8 minutes when you make that your primary goal. Unncessary to read every subhead or heading. Also 8 to 12 trigger words is enough to start with if you find 25 difficult to find in that time.

quote:
4. relax? have fun? play with it and dont be too hard on myself? easier said then done!

You're the boss if you want to make it difficult its your choice Try doing something that you find relaxing and fun before photoreading. Let go of needing it to all happen perfectly first time round. While not appropriate to the photoreading steps try using humour before you attempt to photoread. Listen to some fun music (smurf, alvin and the chipmunks come to mind and my current choice is snoopy -v- the Red Barron) Yes I'm serious... how much more unserious can you about learning to photoread?

quote:
5. my purpose usually stinks b/c its so vague. "i want to know the main points in this book. I want to learn this skill." whoever has great purpose/questions ... let me know! i want to know the stanislavski method. too vague$@@# but how do i come up with more specific questions?

'I intend to know the important information from this book' is a pretty useful purpose for me... Or I want to learn the fastest way too... (e.g. 'fix a car problem', for a mechanical book, 'solve maths problems', for a maths book etc.)

For questions turn the headings and subheads into questions... just place the word who, what, why, when, where of how at the beginning of the subhead. Do the same with your trigger words.

quote:
6. sub-vocalization!@$@ i dont feel ive read crap without sub-vocalization. grrrr.

I've never felt that subvocalising is really and issue I just do it (subvocalise I mean) I never worried about getting rid of it and personally find it quite useful I am just very selective in which words I do subvocalise. I skip to the ones that have the most meaning. I don't think you need to worry too much about the subvocalisation while learning the rest of the photoreading step. If you must... just keep saying the letter 'A' over and over while you read after about 30 minutes of practice you'll probably notice that subvocalisation gets out of the way. Another technique is to play nature sounds while you are reading, (ocean, rainforest, waterfall sounds).

quote:
(book death tally from frustration: 1 dictionary ripped in two)

time for a break from this .. suggestions though will be blah blah blah .. you know the drill.

ploppsdman@yahoo.com

Oh? Does your dictionary now come 2 convenient parts , mine took flying lessons took a couple of months to find where it landed. Forget the dictionary game it is afterall just a game. Just keep going through the course step by step it will all come together. You're allowed to do the course again whenever you want to iron out any wrinkles in your style.

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited December 18, 2002).]

#33241 12/18/02 02:09 PM

I feel that if Yoda spoke up now, you'd rip his little green head off.

I think you need to work on number four the most. Relax and play with it. Go through the procedures and notice what happens. If you don't figure it out the first (ummm couple of dozen times) keep trying.

I know you can do it, but the learning can be hard. Some people pick it up quickly. Some people are happy with small successes. Others sweat it and hammer it until it finally sinks in. How things work for you has a lot to do with where you are when you start.

The system tells you to relax and play with it and find a purpose, because as a general rule "Everything is easier to learn when you are happy and interested". Your brains is designed to adapt to challenges of learning information and skills. You learned the procedures of PWMS, not give yourself some time to develop the skills. You can and will if you use NOPS. The Stay with it of NOPS is very important.

1. I go into and out of blip. So what. I just make sure I always see all of the text... and beyond the book. I have never see an X and your not supposed to see one. It's just a tool, like the blip page, to help you notice all of the text with a soft focus.

2.I grumbled about this when I first saw it and said, "Pffft, I'll just lay it on the table and flip the pages as comfortably as I can". I suspect that most people here do. They don't worry about it. I mean how important can it be how the page gets turned.

3.So it took 18 minutes. Shoot for less next time, but stay comfortable. Try and do it in one minute. Maybe all you can do is read the chapter titles, maybe more. Do you need to read any sub-headings.... Play with it. If the 1200 page book has 7 parts and 87 chapters it will take longer (if you what it too), that a three chapter 150 page book. Don't sweat it. You can't really do it wrong. Some ways may be better, but that's something you'll learn as you go.

4. You know what to do.

5. No purpose stinks. A good purpose is one which will motivate you; one you can get passionate about; one you are interested in answering. If you don't can about the book itself, do it for the experience of developing your PWMS mastery. (I will do kata bla-bla four times. I will do 200 hundred situps. I will PR 5 books and activate for 20 minutes.)

6. Subvocalize. Yeah I feel that way too. BUT I KNOW that I can. I have the benefit of personal experience of when it happened for me. Once when I was about 11, and again a few months ago, after working on my peripheral vision expansion. I know others say they can, but for me that doesn't help much.

If I didn't have my own experiences, what I would do is say "If they can do it so can I.". I would probably use NLP to help achieve the goal. I would work on seeing all the words on a line at a time. Then all the words on three lines at a time....

To finish you can master the system. You will master the system if you Want to. Of course Want means, want it enough to put the resources into it. If someone could get something for nothing.... well I'd sure be jealous.

Stick in there and believe in yourself.

Iam2

#33242 12/18/02 10:19 PM

I wonder what ever happen to the guy that tried to pass the Mcat or some **** like that with Pring. This individual spent like a year trying to pass that freaking exam while using pring. This guy received couching from Dana and everything. He was very persistent and cried like a girl because he was not getting pring. I think that he took the exam twise using Pring on both instances. He didn't have a job, so he was dedicating 24/7 to learn to Pread.If this guy was able to mastered Pring, I will really like to hear from him. I don’t think that he was retarded because he had pretty good writing skills, so he should have been able to figure pring out by now. Medical student! If you are you there, we want to know if pring works or not?

#33243 12/18/02 11:41 PM

The person you are referring to is "SDstudent". I wondered whatever became of him?

#33244 12/19/02 03:00 AM

I've found the easist thing to do regarding page flipping is to lay the materials flat and not worry about angle. If you do it standing up, you should have no problems provided you have a high enough reading space, like a counter or podium rather than a desk or table. A musician's stand might do the trick, although I have no clue about cost.

#33245 12/19/02 03:54 AM
OP Offline

I was thinking about doing that Kaiden. Are you sure the angle isnt important? My only concern, aside from possibility of the 45 degree angle being critical, is neck strain.

Thanks for the levelheaded replies. I'll definitely try the suggestion of listening to something funny before photoreading. The harry carrey skits from SNL, the simpsons, and family guy will do nicely.

I think I'll take another day off from this thing, and try the 5-day book dealy-ah-doo on the morrow. Maybe work on my desire to need to be awesome at this thing so soon?

But I must be awesome at this now$@#$#@

Like I said, I'll work on it. Or not work on it? Im not suppose to work on this, right? Do'h. I've worked too hard on this? Cant let go!!!!

Now its time to go play burning book dominoes. Die books, die@$@#!@!#@! I'll preview while you burn and photoread your ashes!!!!!

#33246 12/19/02 01:21 PM

Just another observation, that stems from your WORK AT IT statement.

Dana once slapped my hands, and correctly so, for saying I'll practice PWMS. No you should use it, not practice it or learn it.

When you use something your expectation and attitude are significantly different than when you are just practicing or trying to learn it. It seems small, but attitude and expectation have a large impact on how the brain performs.

Good Luck,
Iam2

#33247 12/19/02 01:26 PM

I tend to turn pages rather quickly, so I'm done with the book before neck strain starts.

#33248 12/19/02 05:20 PM
Administrator
Administrator

When I PR only one book I go for flat myself however when I do ten I do grab my arch lever file. Interestingly enough I found a pillow a good surface to rest the book on. For some reason it helps to seperate the pages for faster turning.

Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved