Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#33396 12/31/02 11:27 AM
OP Offline

Hi friends,

I have been inspired by this forum to actually order the book. At first I wanted to order the course, but I decided to try the book for a smaller investment and she the results first.

I am very excited to start, although I am that kind of a person that needs proof before believing it. I have tried some of the techniques described in this forum and up to now I had no result at all. I don't feel like anything is hold inside my sub-conscious, nor do I dream anything I have PR-ed. I did not try any superreading nor dipping, since I do not know how to do that yet. I guess I need to start from scratch and wait for the book to come and guide me through this. I used the link from Stereoreading to help me photofocus and I must say I'm quite good at it now. Sometimes I feel very sleepy when PR-ing and it's difficult to keep my eyes open. I also have many moments that my mind wanders off. Is this ok?

Maybe the result will come very very slow due to my late start. I am 46, a slow reader and I have a bad memory. So I wonder am I too late to start? Do you think I will be able to learn new tricks? After all the old habits are quite burned into my whole being with this age.

Thanks for your response.

#33397 12/31/02 12:34 PM

If 46 is too old to learn new skills, you have perhaps 46 more years of unproductive "puttering" to look forward to. Please, for my sake, drop this limiting belief.

#33398 12/31/02 02:12 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Never too old to learn if you want to. I learnt at 40.

Alex

#33399 12/31/02 02:21 PM

I knew a granpa who bought his first computer at the age of 80 and was tickled pink by the idea how the PC could help him in his everyday life; he sat there, with his eyes sparkling, reading the manuals and shouting excitedly whenever he had understood yet another feature...

Great rolemodel, huh?

Laughing-heart

#33400 12/31/02 02:59 PM

Too Old?! NO, with people living to be 100 today, 46 isn't even middle age! Besides, your only as old as you think! I know 30 year olds who think and act like 90 y/o and I know 90 y/o who think and act like 30 y/o
Good Luck in your Endevour!

#33401 12/31/02 03:06 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Do a search on margaret.

Alex

#33402 12/31/02 04:06 PM

HumphreyH:

You need to "STOP IT"!!!!. I learnt photoreading at the ripe age of 46, and that was two years ago. I myself was a slow reader. You don't have a bad memory, at our age, our life is more complex. With many decisions, things to do, your mind is an andy 500 race track. You don't have a bad memory, just a zillion of things going on upstairs You know what I'm sayin? Once you learn how to relax, and I mean relax, things will fall into place for you. Something else you need to consider and that is to start practicing a mental discipline to help you to maintain center, focus, and calm.

#33403 01/01/03 06:20 AM

The subconscious has billions of things being managed...ALL THE TIME. Now, there are certain cases of this, but like everyone else here - you do sound like a generally normal 46 year old.

Kaiden is right. It is a self limiting belief. You actually have more potential that you've ever dreamed possible. Breaking old habits is not as difficult as you may believe. Many of us are used to having change happen gradually and over time, but believe it or not - change happens INSTANTLY whether you realize it or not.

Speaking on more proof based terms, haven't you ever had a time in your life when something happened inside you that totally altered many of your perceptions on something? Like a revelation, or some mysterious dawning on you like you had found something that had been missing the entire time, but never knew that you were even looking for it?

Changing behaviors and habits is the same way. It can be done effortlessly and even instantly many times. With breaking old reading habits, the best thing to do is to intentionally practice using the system everytime you sit down with something to read. It's that simple.

Try doing nothing but the PR Whole Mind System on reading material for several weeks, and then just try going back to normal reading habits for 3-4 days. You'll notice it's harder, and feels weird. It is said that the first rule of behavorial psychology is "whatever you reinforce, you will get more of."

I, myself, DID learn with the book, and the book only. Yes, it can be done. Yes - you can be successful with JUST the book.

Be warned however - they say that it's harder and takes longer to learn, but when I look back upon it, I don't see that as the case.

It is true that at the age of 46, you're no longer building and developing new neurons, and thus are not quite so capable of easily learning. Remember when you were a child? Not a care in the world? Not a clue about anything? It was your developing brain and playful curiousity that allowed you to learn life's core academic basic skills so easily. Addition, multiplication, ABC's, your sentance structure and writing style, etc.

Then again, maybe you might make a list about many things you have been successful in learning recently, and realize, "Wow, I had the same basic mindset and attitude as I did when I was a child. This is so interesting, I've GOT to know about it!"

Now imagine PhotoReading. Obviously, you've already found something that's compelling and sparked with intrigue about the system. Can you see yourself one day getting so good with the system that you can take in entire books, containing at least 70% comprehension after spending only 15 minutes on it? It CAN be done!

When your mind wanders, of course it's okay if it's during the PhotoReading step. In fact, the more the merrier! One of the entire points of the PR step is to get your conscious mind out of the way and let your subconscious get at the information that you're needing to take into your long term memory.

SuperReading and Dipping is extremely easy. All you have to do is take your eyes down the center of each page, your purpose in mind, and simply read whatever text attracts you. Remember to try and come up with a clear purpose before using PRWMS on any book. The purpose needs to explain what you want out of it.

Good luck,
youngprer

#33404 01/01/03 06:31 AM

"THERE YOU HAVE IT"!!!

#33405 01/01/03 03:36 AM

Actually, neurons and neuronal pathways are being created ALL THE TIME, up till the point of clinical death. If that were not so, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to learn anything new past a certain critical age. I agree that the process starts to slow down at a certain age, but I believe that is due to the "system" as it is. If we were to maintain healthier diets and better learning habits from a young age, we might slow or REVERSE the process of neuronal slowdown.
Choline is good

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved