Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2981 05/22/01 09:28 PM
OP Offline

Ok, I am going to go ahead and dive into the apple cart. I am writing, I know to a group of people who are intensely motivated to increase the effectiveness of their whole mind. I am also likeminded in my quest for full potential. I see the effective science behind photoreading and paraliminal technology. I have no theological quarrel with that. That being said, let me preface my following comments with a short statement of faith:

1. I am a Christian. Jesus Christ is at the center of my life and all endeavors at self improvement are laid before Him.

2. I believe that the mind is a wonderful creation of God, and He intended it to be fully developed, although submitted to Him.

Now I get to the crux of my statement. I read alot on these forums about Things regarding Silva Method and metaphysical theories, etc. I believe that metaphysics, including the variety called Silva Method are attempts to elevate mental development into what I term the supernatural realm. I just received an unsolicited snail mail from a man named Eric Savage, talking about his God-Man theory. What he was saying was an offense to my faith and should be an insult to any who are serious about developing the potential of their minds. He was saying that one can learn to control other people, create circumstances in their lives using the "godlike" abilities that his system produces. This is mind development taken way out of its healthy normal perspective. Silva and others face a similar dangers by trying to blur the line between what is a "mind" issue and what is a "spirit" issue. My treatise is as follows: Mental development is good to the point where it deals with natural progression. When it enters the area of the supernatural, then it enters the area that is part of spiritual things. The mind is not the seat of spiritual things. The mind is part of the soul. The soul and spirit two different parts of man (man is spirit, soul and body). When supernatural things occur in a person life, the origin of it is the spiritual realm, not the mind. Therefore, the mind cannot produce supernatural phenomena. This includes psychic (knowing things that one has never been exposed to), exerting influence over someone in order to control them, and things of that nature.

As a Christian, I am pleased to note that Learning Strategies hasn't come out in favor of that extreme form of mental control. At least, not to my knowledge. Going into some of the more extreme branches of self improvement venue is a dangerous thing. Of course, this is only my opinion. The spirit is the throne of man, and The only one worthy to sit there is Christ. The soul (mind) is the part of God's creation within us that is the key to whether ornot we are balanced and healthy, or out of balance and extreme.

If anyone has suffered through this entire diatribe and has comments, please respond. I am interested in everyone's thoughts. I am not a closed minded believer, although I will keep my internal development on a balanced path.

PEACE.

#2982 05/23/01 05:54 AM

a law of metaphysics states one cannot develop supernatural and superhuman powers if one is not clean of mind. which means if one intends to use supernatural mental powers to harm another, he could not develop it in the first place.

as for the spiritual world, many have experienced astral travel conciously it is a good way to free yourself from the troubles of this world even for a short time. i believe the techniques of metaphysics can accelerate spiritual evolution. As a Christian I am sure our God Jesus Christ would not object to this.

PRAISE THE LORD

#2983 05/23/01 01:57 PM

The question that immediately arises in my mind is - what if you are not Christian, and reject the beliefs of Christianity? Just for the fun of it - what if, perhaps, there is no real division between "spirit" and "matter", or "body" and "mind"? What if, instead, they are simply different points along a continuum and it is our limited experience that causes us to view them as seperate? Also, what if everything is a part of Nature - that Nature is simply the "garment of God", or God's manifestation, and that if all things are a part of God there cannot be anything that is "supernatural", only things which are unusual. Maybe it is worth contemplating the possibility that the so-called "supernatural abilities" that some people fear (psychicism, etc.) are simply regular abilities that manifest either rarely, or are common but ignored. For a growing number of people around the world, miracles like astral projection, "effective prayer", spells, etc. are are a cornerstone of their religious practices. I'm not saying that I necessarily believe what I just wrote, but that it's just something to think about.

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved