Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34586 02/03/03 09:52 PM
Hagbard Offline OP
OP Offline

I just got the PR PLC in the mail. I understand so far that it works because when you blast the printed materials into the mind, the OTC can interpret the characters/symbols because you already "know" how to read. Since the act of first "learning" to read, via phonics or whatever OTHER reading learning methods there are, and that squelches the natural ability to PR...
How could we teach kids to be able to PR without them having to learn phonics or whatever else?
IS IT POSSIBLE...?

#34587 02/03/03 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hagbard:
Since the act of first "learning" to read, via phonics or whatever OTHER reading learning methods there are, and that squelches the natural ability to PR...
How could we teach kids to be able to PR without them having to learn phonics or whatever else?
IS IT POSSIBLE...?

I would assume so. I had three disadvantages as a child when it came to reading and spelling. The first is hyperlexia. You may have noticed that my posts frequently include misspelled words. That is a result of my ability to spell being far behind my ability to read - very high vocabulary compared to the number of words in it I can actually spell. It also effects my handwriting. The second was a slight hearing disorder cause by tinnitus. I have to hear everything above the constant ringing in my ears. I don't need a hearing aid, but I often mishear song lyrics. For example, Lonestar's #1 hit last year sounded like "your chest keeps getting bigger," rather than "it just keeps getting better." The third was dental in nature, honestly. My front teeth, top and bottom, were pulled out to make room for my adult teeth to come in. It took over a year for them to grow. Because of that, "f" and "th" and "s" and "z" sounded the same to me. "Free" and "Three" were essentially the same word. A hard "th" and "d" sounded the same as well. I couldn't understand the phonics of "the" because as far as I was concerned the phonics SHOULD be "da."

They removed me from my normal reading class and put me in a Whole Word class. I believe this early instruction for us slow and dyslexic people is what allowed me to always read consistantly beyond my own grade level by at least three years.
http://www.unifon.org/whole-word.html

Phonics is an addiction, do NOT allow your child to become hooked!

#34588 02/03/03 11:30 PM

Crazy Fox. Phonics is useful to give back in respect. I save phonics for praiseworthy comments, otherwise I try to use my keyboard or just not talk.

#34589 02/04/03 12:07 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Read to your kids. Make it fun. My nephew loves books and will always drag a couple out for me to read. He'll point to the picture and tell me what the book is about. Both he and his little sister love a bed time story. I remember one night I had to read 4 books; 2 While the pair were in her bed and then the 3 of us moved to his room to read his 2 choices.

Last time I went over there I took a book along again (When you've had to watch the 'Wiggles' once you've seen them enough). While I was photoreading the book my neice turned around and asked me what I was doing. I said, "reading" (3 year old - you keep the answer simple). She said, "you'll tear the pages if you keep turning them like that." I lost my pace I had to laugh to think that at 3 years she was concerned about tearing pages of a book.

Later my nephew followed me back to the lounge after we were on the computer. The book was lying on the lounge and the wiggles were still going. My nephew (6 years btw) saw the book his eyes lit up and grabbed it for a look see. Fanned the book 4 times while looking at the pages. (yes he's seen me do it too.) Then opened the book then tried to pick out any words that he could recognise.

The book was Reading Without Nonsense - by Frank Smith - he writes,

quote:
The only way children can become familar with the written language, before they can extend their knowledge by reading for themselves, is by being read to.

Have fun with reading to them and when it comes to teaching them to photoread, they will imitate you as soon as they can.

Alex

#34590 02/04/03 12:51 AM

Hagbard, I don't think you can skip learning to read the traditional way. Although you don't have to stop with the traditional way. I play on teaching my kids PR when they get to be about 12 years old.

It's the same think with learning a foreign language by PRing a dual language dictionary. You might be able to read the other language, but if you've never heard it before or learned the phonic rules for that language you're not likely to speak it well.

Godt dag,
Iam2

#34591 02/04/03 01:44 AM

One thing I've heard use is labeling everything in the house.

#34592 02/04/03 01:49 AM

All Adults here, I am surprised. I play sterogram games with my 5 year old sister. She is resistant to reading and learning things, she rather watch TV. Kids these days... She does like reading her books though, but I doubt you can skip traditional reading. I don't think they should stick traditional reading soo hard into you to say that it's the only way to read. I think PR and other system should be taught young so they have a good variety of ways to approach the different materials with different purpose and goals.

After all, listening to Paul in the tapes makes me think that he tries to make us into children again. If you are harden like an adult and not willing like a child to learn, then PR can't come natural. Like AlexK, go into the system with out opinion and with out doubt and just play like a child and follow. ANY other way is inefficient to approach PR and will take more stress than ease to learn this system.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved