Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#34893 02/12/03 12:12 PM
OP Offline

soon, probably in two weeks, we [english class] will start a new novel. i dont yet have PR mastered, i have been a bit busy and try to get half a tape a day [starting 5b today]. i dont want to risk only doing PR for this novel, not before i have it down; so, what do you think about doing the preview, pr, and maybe superread steps, and then read as i normally would. i need detailed notes about major and minor events in the novel. do you think this is a good method and do you have any tips?

thanks
andrew/agent orange

#34894 02/12/03 01:19 PM

What you said will work great. In school they tend to go chapter by chapter and if you've already superread it then it'll feel REAL slow. And that's a good thing.

#34895 02/12/03 03:58 PM
OP Offline

we are given the book to read on our own, and a deadline. also i just finished tape 6 [we had a snow day!]

andrew/agent orange

#34896 02/12/03 05:20 PM

We had a snowday too!!!!!!!!!!! Where are you from?

#34897 02/12/03 05:29 PM
OP Offline

southwest michigan

you?

#34898 02/13/03 06:52 AM

It sounds like this is going to be the first book you really PR. Now you want to build your mastery of the system with successes.

Now a novel is tougher, since it has fewer structural clues. Also since it's required reading, and you will be tested for comprehension you have extra pressure to PERFORM. These are both things that could reduce your chances for early success with PWMS.

If you really want to make this your first book, well then go ahead. I will suggest that you start as soon as you know which book it is. If you get it on a Friday, use the first weekend as an experiment. If you get it on a Monday use Monday to Friday as the experiment period. Just PR the book Friday and then on Saturday and Sunday spend about three 30 minute activation session, with mind mapping and breaks. At the end look at what kind of success you had. You've invested only about 3 hours, or one good night of regular reading. So if come Monday you want to revert to regular reading you still have lots of time.

I like the experiment idea, because you take the pressure away and you keep the beginners mind set of "What's going to happen? How is this going to work for me?...."

There is a good chance that you will feel good about what you've got out of the 3 hours and may only want to put a little more time in with the system.

Remember don't get discouraged it after the first 10 minute pass you don't think you know much about the book. You probably won't know much conciously. After all, if you can PR and fully activate your first book in 10 minutes, you'd probably be the best PR in the world in under a week.... once you finish those tapes of course.

Play with it and grow.

Iam2

#34899 02/13/03 06:58 AM
OP Offline

if i did the preview and pr steps, and then read normally [because i havent even finished the tapes yet, need very detailed notes chronologically, and will, eventually, have to write some sort of report and probably take some sort of test on the book], do you think i would have better comprehension because it was all already in my mind?

i hope you understand exactly what i'm asking
thanks
andrew/Agent range

#34900 02/12/03 08:22 PM

Well if you're going to read normally, I would suggest PRing the book before each normal reading session... it's only a few minutes. You'll probably get more than those few minutes back in an hour session of normal reading, as a result of reading faster.

Again, the more you do it the better it gets.

I'm not saying don't try and PWMS this book. Just try and set yourself up for success by setting things up for the correct emotional state. You don't hear it around here but negative emotions, negative inner talk, and habits developed from these are some of the biggest things limiting your reading speed. That's why the ALS is so important.

Try the experiment... it's only a few hours. You could do it all in a Saturday afternoon if you want. Incubate over night though.

Good luck.

Iam2

#34901 02/13/03 01:38 AM
Administrator
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Agent_Orange:
if i did the preview and pr steps, and then read normally [because i havent even finished the tapes yet, need very detailed notes chronologically, and will, eventually, have to write some sort of report and probably take some sort of test on the book], do you think i would have better comprehension because it was all already in my mind?

i hope you understand exactly what i'm asking
thanks
andrew/Agent range

You most certainly will experience benefits going it that way. Rememeber you can always PR the book again and use the superread and dip method afterwards to see if you missed anything.

The plan you propose is an excellent way to start using the system. Just continue learning the Photoreading system with other books.

Alex

#34902 02/13/03 08:15 PM
OP Offline

we got the novel today, The Red Badge Of Courage. its 130 pages, not long, and we are going chapter by chapter. chap1 do tomorrow, so what format should i use [i'll still normal read]? preview, pr, then read the regular way to be sure i get the notes i need? i'm not good enough at PR to trust the whole novel to it [after a while I will, but dont forget that he requires notes in setting (place and time), characters and plot. also when we finish we need literary devices (symbolism, irony) and theme], sorry!

Andrew/Agent range

[This message has been edited by Agent_Orange (edited February 13, 2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved