Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kenji Offline OP
OP Offline

I've been told that Photoreading works for any material including math. When I was in eighth grade (Im in ninth now) I photoread all my text books three times except for my math book. I Photoread it god knows how many times. I've tried all kinds of approaches to it from photoreading it for achieving a high grade on tests and in the Class to photoreading for the fun. I've tried many approaches towards math and they seem to backfire at me dispite how many times I try it. I am mindful that perfection is not what I'm after, I am only after what I want (because I know it is the same as saying "what is the speed of light" and I reply "how the hell am I suppose to know? I dont remember things I could look up in an encyclopedia.".). I use the problems in my math books as a....what do u call those....mind probing questions and there is not much to read in math. Could it be that I need to totally break off from that view? I've tried to understand it but....... I don't seem to know what to do on the math problems that counted. Now I'm in Algebra 2 honors at a Magnet school after taking a Geometry course over the summer and the first semester was a diaster. I failed and got C's more often in my life in 4 months. I do not have the past memories get in my way because that will only drag me down but it is unavidable, it follows me wherever I go and I want to end the appearent.....curse of the inability to achive optimal results on the field of mathematics forever. Otherwise as of the present moment, I remain unrivaled in all other classes.

Administrator
Administrator

Photoreading math books give your inner mind insights how to solve the maths problems. The conscious mind still requires regular practice at working out these problem. To this end activation of maths books is doing as many of the exercises provided in the maths book.

The benefit of photoreading a math book is that it is able to provide the conscious mind a breakthrough or better understanding of the math problems. Reducing some of the frustrations associated with learning to solve those maths problems. Most maths books are for practicing and self testing ones knowledge of how to solve them and an improved speed or ease at working out these problems accurately is probable, however activating a math book will take more time than activating a book for information because as you pointed out a math book has less emphasis on information and more on practice. So it is unlikely that you will work your way through the book like lightning.

Alex

Hi Kenji,

Here is my experience with PRing math books. I learned PRing as I was finishing my Bachelor's degree in Computer Science. I had been putting off 2 math classes because, frankly, I was scared of them. One of them was Linear Algebra - I did OK in a lower level LA class about 10 years before but it has been a very long 10 years. The other class was called Computational Theory and is the 400 level advanced version of Discrete Math - which I failed twice before finally getting a C. Needless to say, math was my worst subject.

My approach to these courses was to Direct Learn (PR without activating) the books about a month before class started with a stated purpose of deeply absorbing the material in the books. Then, I PRed the books the night before the first class with the purpose of deeply learning the structure of the math. As I was working problems, if I got stuck on something, I PRed the book again with the purpose of finding something to help me solve the problem. Then I would either go on to another problem for a while or take a break for a while. In every case, when I came back to the problem some new approach "popped into my head" which led to the answer. I got an A in both classes.

Believe it will work. Practice it and be very careful in how you state your purpose and it will work for you too.

Good luck!
Mike

Kenji Offline OP
OP Offline

I thank You alex for your reply

I do not intend to get through the book with lighting speed, Math is just one of those topics that are #(*$&#(*&@#ing annoying to deal with (at least in my case). I employ the "blizkreig" tactic for academic work and what I do is I would photoread the book at least five times per....quarter at the begining, then a day after I move in and randomly pick questions or anything irritating I have in mind and answer them. Then I move quickly to set up emotional anchors (they are like my own buttons for my brains and what they do is activate an emotion like I use my first finger for feeling powerful and unstopable, my middle is to make people angry and so on). I will share this tecnic later, back to the subject any ideas on how to increase comprehension on math topics or is it more of logic and thinking that gets me closer to solving them

I am more math inclined than liberal arts. Math is entertaining to me(sorry). Usually get As in math and actively do my homework. Problems I don't get I think over while I'm eatting, swimming, sleeping or walking. I do math whenever I get a chance. Night before a Pre-Calculus test, I PRed the textbook, mind probed some, PRed calculus book, PRed trig book. Next day I had some hunches about questions and fixed the wrong answer. More I PR the better my "hunches" get. PR strenghens intuition and I take care of strenghening my logic through conciously doing math problems.

Geometry can be a pain to study, depends on the teacher. I didn't do my HW in Geometry, got a 86, if I did my HW I would of gotten a 91. Depressing... Don't worry about it, keep making the future better. It's not likely that you'll get better by wishing that you aced Geometry, then you can't look at anything to improve upon. Confusion leds to knowledge.

just my thoughts

Chang Liu

Kenji, I'll toss in a couple of cents worth. Math is like reading. However, it's a little different for many people. Many people are at an early reading level with Math. They can read the words. Sometimes they can read and comprehend whole sentences. Many have problems following a whole paragraph for math.

My suggestion for people who have traditionally be poor at math, and want to us PR to improve is to go back. Go back to a level of math that you feel magnificiently confident with and PR and try those mind probing problems at the end of the chapter.

This may mean going back quite a few years. If you stay with a level until you feel really good with it, then you will build your ability for comprehending Math.

I've helped a few people with Math and I've noticed that if I try to help them with what they are working on it doesn't really sink it. However, if I talk to them and try and understand their level of understand. Then if I rephrase the problem and start from where they have a good comprehension, then they learn the material. It seems longer than just explaining all the details, but in the long run it isn't. They need a starting point to build from. Some place to hang the new knowledge as the acquire it.

Another note: Math books are written for people who are good a reading Math. I've read some old Math texts and they were written a lot differently. There was a lot more explaining of problems and concepts. Newer texts are more mathematically rigorous and detailed, but the are only so - so as instruments for educating. Not much good if only 20% of the class can teach themselves from the text alone.

Okay, that was probably 3 cents worth. Good luck,

Iam2

Kenji Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, I thank you for that "3 cent advice". Thankfully I am only a freshman at Clark Magnet High School. I will PR some older books and books that contain lower level math. (About here I feel degraded in a sense but oh well). I put forth questions for you, what kinds of goals should I tell if I want to say......understand the material I photoread with an Iron fist? What kinds of affirmations and closes should I make? I've been using the same ones for the last year. I also must ask, when I photoread I must occupy my conscious mind while retaining a steady pace of turning the pages, noticing the white spaces around the text, can I reply music videos in my mind or at least sing to myself? Under what conditions will the photoreading phase become ineffective? In what ways should my conscious mind be occupied? In a pleasent way or bad? Should there be ZERO idle conscious thought in photoreading? Does silencing the inner voice that we were all conditioned to have (talking to yourself) pass as occupying the conscious mind?

Kenji

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved