Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bujin Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello again. It's been a while since I've posted here.

I recently ordered the Photoreading CDs to replace my tapes and have decided to give it another go.

Now, when I first had the course about 18 months ago, I photoread the dictionary as per Tape 1 side 2. In theory, that information should still be locked into my subconscious somewhere, right?

Last night, I had a go at the dictionary game without PRing the dictionary again. Out of 10 words (3 sections - page, column, location, so 30 answers), I got 17 right - 57%. Of those 10, I got just 1 in exactly the right place.

As a control experiment, I wrote down 10 words and asked my mother to have a go at guessing where they appear in the same way. My mother has never even seen the dictionary before today, so it was pure guesswork all the way - no photoreading, and I sat and watched while she did it to make sure she didn't look at the dictionary.

She got 0 out of 9 exactly right, but 14 out of 27 overall - 52%.

The method I used for the results was intuition. I simply looked at each word, then wrote the first thing that came into my head for each word. My mother did the same.

The results are remarkably similar. Was it a fluke?

Administrator
Administrator

It seems to me to show a use it or lose it aspect of long term memory. Since you didn't photoread the dictionary again in that 18 months it wasn't a priority for your memory to recall this so it isn't a prority to recall it now.

For example... what did you have for dinner today 1 year ago? What did you see and do that day? What was in the newspaper that you read that day?

Your mind knows and with the aid of a hypnotist you could probably remember. It will be easier to remember if the day had some significance like a birthday celebration, job start or loss etc. You'll find this because you made addtional associations. Yet throughout that day you probably read lots of stuff... can you remember it. It might have been important then, is it now? If it is you'll remember it.

When you consider your memory of one day a year ago. What significant associations have you made to connect the positions of the words for recall? These associations are usually the physically handling of the book. Playing the game often. Photoreading it often.(like any game if you haven't played for quite some time, your skills are almost like a beginner however they come back quickly).

To play the dictionary 'game' and be successful at it you need to 'play' it. Photoread the dictionary again and then compare.

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited February 26, 2003).]

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved