Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

currently i am studying a topic in religion called, influences of religion in Australia and we had to study something called New Age Religion.

By its description it seems as though photoreading and other mind techniques are part of this new age religion definition.

I was wondering aren't these mind techniques proven to work? or are they beliefs?.

I am christian and i think photoreading works and these mind techniques should not be put under the heading of religon. I'm christian and try to incorporate these techniques into my life, that doesnt make me part of a different religion too does it?
. I view it as just something to help me with work.

I attended a Photoreading class years ago and have recently started using it again. I have also trained in NLP to the master practitioner level and was certified in hypnotherapy. I am also a Christian.

Now, there are Christians who would think I'm a New Ager (and I don't let them know I study NLP), but IMO it is because they do not understand NLP. NLP is the study of how the mind works. Rapport, anchoring, language patterns, etc are all used by people naturally. In NLP we just learn to use it consciously. There is nothing spiritual or religious about this IMO.

During my training I've trained with different people, including Christians and New Agers. It is true that New Agers may be more likely to be interested in these skills, but that does not mean they are New Age or religious. I've even had classmates who thought both Christians and New Agers were wierd. I also used to know some New Agers who were friendly enough until they learned I knew NLP and the got very paranoid and thought I was part of a mind control conspiracy to take over the world.

Another problem with the label "New Age Religion" is that from what I've seen there really isn't such a thing. The term is used for a very diverse group of practices and beliefs, so it would be difficult to determine what New Agers believe as a group.

OP Offline

thanks that clears everything up.
I was thinking that too.
I one day wanna study the mind too.

Fundamentalists consider anything not in the bible as New Age. So yes PR and anything newer than the 1st century is considered EVIL and contrary to God's plan for your life. God is supposed to create your reality, not you or your ego(flesh). Be thee careful.

Which Fundamentalists specifically? What exactly is Fundamentalism? What is New Age?

I'm not any particular denomination, but my strongest influences are the Assemblies of God and the Southern Baptists, both ofteh considered Fundamentalists. I see no conflict with my faith and what I study. NLP is the study and utilization of the structure of subjective experience, not a religion.

There are many Christians in NLP. Peter Lowe, the guy who has those large success seminars around the country with speakers like Zig Ziglar and Tom Hopkins, is an NLP practitioner (I don't know what level) and he passes out Billy Grahm pamphlets at his seminars. He also has several NLP audio courses, though to me they are a bit basic. Some of the most cutting-edge NLP development is from the Society of Neuro-Semantics, and many of them are Christian. Most of their material is advanced but they do have some books for beginners. My original trainer, one of the better trainers for teaching NLP for therapy, later became a Christian, which did surprise me. The second NLP practice group I formed was made up entirely of Christians of some sort. I did not intend to start a Christian organization, and during our meetings we only worked on NLP. All I did was post an ad for a practice group on two boards, and these people contacted me. None of use knew the others were Christians until a few weeks after we started. I do not see any real evidence for a conflict between Christianity and NLP.

There is, however, a common mistunderstanding of hypnosis, and it is not limited to Christians. The typical myths shown in TV, movies, and stories, the Svengali type stuff, causes many people, Christians and others, to think hypnosis is some sort of dangerous magical practice. Anyone actucally trained in it knows this is not the case.

Actually, I was being a tad facetious. I had hangups for yoars because I was a Baptist/Pentecostal and also a Psychology major. However I have finally resolved the thought virus in my cranium. And yes I am a fan on Bodenhamer and Hall of neurosemantics.com. Sorry for the sarcasm. I was referring to fundamentalist christians of which I was one.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I'm Christian. I PhotoRead. What makes it New Age?

Also, does ANYONE read the Learning Strategies F.A.Q. for PhotoReading before come to this forum? Honestly, now. Or use the Search function? This gets to me every once and a while.

I've found the topic of religion to be very fascinating lately. I'm not what many would call a normal Christian. In fact, many would say that my beliefs are not really anything, and not even close to Christian. I believe that God is not really any ONE thing. I believe God is absolutely everything. Yes, that means, I believe God is even in US!

Every time I've prayed, it has helped. So many say, "God has always been there for me." I believe the reason is because God is everything, and everything has always been here!

As for good and evil, most of the time good and evil are things we, ourselves, create. The topic of something like PhotoReading, a freaking READING PROGRAM being EVIL has been brought up many times. Honestly, people. It's a reading program...it's special in the fact that it takes advantage of our naturally born-with abilities. So what would ever make you consider it New Age?

Ok, Here's how it works. Many fundamentalists consider biofeedback,meditation,alpha-theta states as new-age. If that doesn't make sense to you then you havent encountered the Christians that I know about. Whether they consider PR as part of this I don't know, most Christians I know don't delve into the area of "Self Help" because of the association of Hindu/Buddhism it elicits. That's my experience. Took me many years to overcome conflict in this area.

x Offline

Photoreading is based on NLP and hypnotism, not religion. Some would classify NLP as a New Age religion, so if you consider hypnotism to be a New Age religion, then there you go.

I don't know if that helps; you make the call.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved