Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rogin Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello,

I'm a neophyte with mind mapping yet, I've done around 20 MMs for chemistry and physics. When revising, what a difference compared to my old methods!
I've yet to practice much, I feel too tense while MMing and I sunk in details too often.

For practice I've tried to mind map newscasts and soon, with a DIN-A4 paper sheet I've run out of space. Using a bigger one is not an option, I don't see myself using a DIN-A3 in class. Any idea on this?

On the other hand, I've surfed looking for information on MMing lectures and 1 of 2, I've not been much lucky or there isn't much to see. If you know of any site related, please share it.

And last, but not least, what have been your experiences with mind mapping lectures? Especially highly technical ones.

Thank you!

I've never really got Mind Mapping working for me, it seems to take to long for me and is very time consuming.

However, what I like is Free Noting, it is very effective. Click here http://www.winwenger.com/freenote.htm

If you need bigger paper... just branch from the MindMap and start a new page. That's what is suggested in the course.

I mean those old dudes *cough cough* used to flow-chart monstrous programs. If those oldies could use more than one page, then so can you.

As for MM lectures, I believe AlexK has a really good post on that somewhere in this forum... try searching. It's a post where he gives lost of links to study information. I believe it's mostly Australian, but it might help you.

Good luck, and have fun with it.

Iam2

I thought for 1.5 years that mind mapping was never going to work for me, then i found Mindjet Mindmanager. Since i "lack" artistic(ok ok i havent really tired yet) ability and am a very sloppy writer, it would have been impossible for me to appreciate the mindmap on paper without this software. I never took notes before since i could easily memorize key concepts as they were spoken (assuming the lecture interested me), but after having found mindjet i started to use the lecture to build the structure of my mind map, listen as usual, then go home create my map, then read the assigned pages. Results have been drastic. In a class that i would get 80% for spending 30-40 mins studying for, i now get 97-99%. I create mindmaps of everything on my agenda, from meals, workouts, goals, math problems, to my thoughts and the events of a certain day!

My advice is for technical subjects (Math Major myself with 2 years of E.E courses) draw out your mind map with respect to the structure of the lecture, mimic the chronological progression of the lecture and later relate it to the structure of the textbook, then map out a typical problem with BOTH correct approaches and incorrect approaches to problems(color the incorrect ones deep red or something and the right ones a deep (insert favorite color here)) This has helped avoid common pitfalls, and gives you a true understanding of the problem (especially true of math and physics problems). Anyway, i also find it helpful to create the textbook mind map and refer to it during the lecture, and systematically fill it in. Hope this helped.

p.s.- just want to point out to anybody who "feels" that mind mapping wont really help them (as i once [very strongly] did).
Give the software a try! It takes all the work out and leaves the fun!

[This message has been edited by Serpentaura (edited March 07, 2003).]

Mindjet is good. I find it useful becausee I don't want to kill trees while I create things.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved