Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

hey everybody. long time no post. I really need people to help out with this project for school. Its just a small experiment and it should only take a minute. come on. its fun :-D http://hagioslaptop.isa-geek.net/experiment/default.php

Administrator
Administrator

Anyone that discloses their date of birth and mothers maiden name on an unsecured web page is a fool. So you're not going to get much accurate data there.

Alex

try encode in another language. Php gets old. you are a PRer, should be able to g2 library, sit down and direct learn some comp languages.

OP Offline

Alexk:
You can put anything you want in those fields. Its only to show that its a real person. Sorry if that made it seem like I was trying to con you or something.

Actually, I still use CGI/Perl for my stuff, but I will still defend PHP as a strong language, and I think it's okay to use it.

To be honest, to ensure maximum compatibility, I usually don't even use flash unless it's just for an intro. I purposely use technologies that someone's browser probably has. Same thing with hardware - I assume everyone only has an 800x600 when making the layout.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

Also, I don't see what's so harmful with submitting a birthday and maiden's name; not saying it's harmless, just that I don't know exactly what's bad about that, and I'm curious what the danger is.

Of course, I'm also at a college where your student ID number is your social security number; you put this number on every test and if you forget your ID card for something, you must say it out loud.

Yep. Lot of identity theft at my school. Hell, just for fun I've memorized strangers' social security numbers, just to see how easy it would be for someone to memorize mine.

Putting your SSN on everything is dangerous. Just because someone in your school has not been caught at identity theft (yet) does not mean it cannot happen. Criminals even search through people's garbage to find SSNs, so they could easily find them at colleges that do this. I've had professors that required stupid things like this and even back then I was uncomfotable with it, but now that identity theft is a real problem I would have nothing to do with this. One of my professors even gave the entire class a list of everyone's SSNs. It is irresponsible for colleges to encourage or even require such reckless disregard for personal security. It is worse than leaving your door unlocked.

When I was a student at Eastern Michigan back in the 90s (the WHOLE decade), some teachers required BOTH student id AND s.s. # and there still was ID theft.

Remind me to create Kaiden Fox Incorporated before I go back to school. That way, I can use a FEIN instead of an SSN.

quote:
Just because someone in your school has not been caught at identity theft (yet) does not mean it cannot happen.

I checked my post again, and noticed it could sound sarcastic, especially from me.

It wasn't sarcastic, I was being very serious: there is a LOT of identity theft at my school right now. Things are starting to get a little better and SOME teachers no longer ask for your SS.

I know two girls personally that have had their identity stolen, plus my dad has had his stolen as well (not from school, but from a fake credit card application).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved