Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#36074 04/10/03 12:32 AM

wow i really don't remember the last time i had a dream and remembered it, i'm more than excited to have dreams using PR

#36075 04/10/03 02:48 AM
OP Offline

Lucid dreams can get pretty damn wild...
LOL, the modern day stimulations brought on by society.

#36076 04/10/03 04:44 AM

quote:
I believe that the first 5 or so hours of your sleep is mostly dreamless sleep, where your brain exhibits delta waves. The REM periods (where dreaming occurs) dominate if you sleep past 5 hours. I've also noticed that when I sleep for 5 hours at night and take naps in the afternoon, I would have some pretty vivid (and occasionally lucid) dreams during those naps.

I will have to dissagree with you on this one. I find that dreams are normally stored into your VERY short term memory. If you do not think or reflect on your dream soon after you wake up, it is often forgotten forever. I have had a couple of nights where i have slept only 2-3 hours, and beleive me, there are some pretty wild dreams during that time. I think that you only remember the last dreams you have, unless they are somehow connected together to form kind of a plot line. Gosh i love those

#36077 04/10/03 11:47 AM
DoZ Offline

If you're not that physically active then you only really need the REM sleep. But a lot of tissue repair goes on in other phases, so the more physically active you are then the more you should need. Dr Doug Graham recommends 10+ hours for active people and athletes ;-)

#36078 04/15/03 04:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by elgan_5:
I will have to dissagree with you on this one. I find that dreams are normally stored into your VERY short term memory. If you do not think or reflect on your dream soon after you wake up, it is often forgotten forever. I have had a couple of nights where i have slept only 2-3 hours, and beleive me, there are some pretty wild dreams during that time. I think that you only remember the last dreams you have, unless they are somehow connected together to form kind of a plot line. Gosh i love those

Now that I've been using Dream Play almost regularly, I've noticed more vivid dreams in the beginning stages of my sleep. I sometimes set my alarm to wake myself up after 4 or 5 hours of sleep for a wake induced lucid dream; Now, I find that I can no longer go back to sleep again after doing that though I feel refreshed like after 7 or 8 hours of sleep. Perhaps I discovered the secret to sleep reduction...

#36079 04/16/03 06:53 AM

Keeping a dream journal is the secret to remember the dreams! Just write down every morning what you have experienced (now matter how small a thing U remember). Also have in mind that the first questions you have to ask your self when falling out of sleep is : "What did I dream to night?". Try remembering and shift your "laying" position in bed while trying to remember, this helps in case if you had a different sleeping position when dreaming, which help you easier recognise the dream. The more you discover of your dream the more you will remeber from the next.You can ex. add things to the dream journal through the hole day.. Dream journal is the KEY to remeber dreams!!

Fred

#36080 04/20/03 05:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by LSC Admin:

just remember, there is no such thing as true lucid dreaming. most of the people who tell you otherwise have defective brains (their prefrontal cortex doesn't rest during sleep; this means they will die sooner than normal people).

And you learned this from where??

#36081 04/21/03 08:07 PM

Where did they post that? From a neuroscientific perspective that statement holds no water. Basically, what they've done, if they actually said this, is to combine two hodge-podge theories into a third which makes less sense than either of the originals. 1) That lucidity is related to pre-frontal cortex activity. An interesting hypothesis, but I have seen no real proof of that. Besides, how does a "defect" explain the activity of the prefrontal cortex given lucidity...many people must possess this defect than, and it decides to express itself at seemingly random intervals. Do they refer to a type of insomnia? 2) That activity in the prefrontal cortex somehow is detrimental to health. It is common neuroscientific knowledge that the brain is physiologically more active during REM sleep, where most dreams occur, than when waking. We also know that there is some activity in the prefrontal cortex even during non-lucid dreaming within REM and non-REM sleep. It is by no means black and white what distinguishes sleeping, dreaming, and waking from a gross physiological standpoint. Lucid dreaming is indeed associated with higher levels of brain activity-- especially with the EEG -- than is non-lucid dreaming. Why should this be harmful to health? What do they mean by "no such thing as true lucid dreaming"? Their summation appears to be a type of discouragement, a warning against lucid dreaming, and a sort-of debunking of the phenomena. As I have shown, the argument is baseless. We might as well say their is no true consciousness, people who tell you otherwise have defective frontal cortexes. Or, their is no true altered-state-of-consciousness, people who tell you otherwise suffer from 'disjointed' communication between the hypothalamus and the prefrontal cortex. Most statements of that type suffer from a) blatant disregard of empiricism, b) Semantically flawed proposition leading to the most pernicious type of nervous-system hallucination available, and c)prejudice against what they have not experienced. It doesn't matter whether LSC said that or not, it is the type of sweeping, "authoritative" generalization which is all too common in human life. I have actually heard arguments which run along the lines of my example phrases- which you now see clearly as reductio ad absurdum to that type of grand declaring.
Enough of that sort of nonsense. Lucid Dreaming poses no risk to health. In fact, it might well enhance it. It also should improve overall brain functioning, indeed that statement can also read: lucidity results from improved overall brain functioning. It represents the presence of lucid consciousness, which is aware of its current state of being despite deep programming against such recognition. It also provides a useful medium for challenging the boundaries of our ego-conception, and realizing the illusory nature of the Self, the type of Self-thinking which leads to Cartesian dualities. I hope that such use is made of it. The most important practice is to not get discouraged by lack of intial success. Practice remembering dreams as has been suggested. But also practice lucidity in the waking hours, and cultivate the realaization that we are all dreaming while awake, dreaming occurs whenever we project our fantasies onto the world.
The third practice I recommend is traditional Buddhist meditation. As you probably know this involves no religious conversion nor acceptance of any metaphysical proposition whatsoever. Instead it trains your mind to be able to concentrate single-pointedly, to become aware of the sundry experiences happening from moment-to-moment, and also to see how the indiscriminant movement of the mind from object to object, drawing illusory connections, on the daily basis, creates a fantasy world of illusions and emotion-reactions which enslave you and make suffering inevitable. In a sense, the development of dream lucidity represents a step away from being caught in the net of delusion. Meditation supports this, and you reap a cornucopia of benefits on the side.

#36082 04/21/03 11:23 PM

It was one of the posts from those childish trolls who were here the last few days..

#36083 04/21/03 11:47 PM
OP Offline

Woah... Kris offlofo can sure type... Maser fingers?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved