Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3126 06/21/01 12:34 PM
Jens Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, I need some help.

During the last days, I had some insights into why I'm sometimes underachieving and how I'm blocking part of my potential.

I realized that I'm very nearly alway shy away from strong feelings and especially their expression. I realized that I even fear these kind of emotions. Crazy, because I admire a lot of passionate people..

Strong feelings can be anything: anger, love, commitment, joy, really anything.

I also realized that the times I was successful in something, somehow I bypassed this fear and put some passion in it.

It feels to myself as if I buried some part of me - and now I want to dig it out. Any suggestions on how to get in touch? I'm quite willing to endure some rough times.

So, any suggestions? Paraliminals? Other practices? (No drugs, please.)

Thanks a lot,

Jens

#3127 06/21/01 08:55 PM

Jens,
I sincerely wish that you would just get quiet and let yourself produce the answer. Whatever answer you produce will definitely work for you b/c it came from you.

You already know all the different paraliminals and courses LS offers. In the beta consciousness read the info & then narrow it all down to 2-3 items.

Then say something about which one should you choose to accomplish your goal of ______AND JUST WHAT IS YOUR GOAL? (borrowing Paul's PhRing words!!! ) THEN go to the alpha level and observe what floats up.

Believe me there is a part of you that already knows what you need to do here. Be prepared though to hear something you may not have even thought about. Write it down as soon as you come back to beta.

good luck

[This message has been edited by Margaret (edited June 21, 2001).]

#3128 06/22/01 07:29 AM

Hi Jens,

Congratulations on a marvelous discovery! Many times looking at the mirror is easy, but _seeing_ what is in the mirror is hard...

Since you have already identified times when you've been able to "bypass" this fear, you have the perfect model to use with the New Behavior Generator paraliminal! This would be the perfect application -- the NLP technique of New Behavior Generator (which the paraliminal is based upon) is designed to show us how to take something we know how to do in one context and apply it in another, which sounds like exactly what you want to do.

I would be happy to discuss this more with you either on the message board or in e-mail if you wish.

And, once again, congratulations on finding and deciding to work with a limiting belief. Think about how it will feel....sometime in the future...when you have already moved past this...and you look back on this time....what will you say to yourself....as you are so happy to be free of this restraint?

Have fun!!

Mike

#3129 06/22/01 02:33 PM
Jens Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Margaret, Hi Mike,

thanks for your help, but shortly after posting this message, I suddenly KNEW my first step: Using the Belief tape.

Margaret, quieting down and relaxing has near to no effect on my generation of answers and ideas. For me, things like walking, listening to (rock) music, talking to people and showering is the way. The important thing is distraction: Do something else and let my inner mind work it out.

So after writing down my question (aka “talking to people”), I realized that I perhaps I could change my belief(s) about my feelings. Well, since yesterday afternoon I’m on high energy, I think I have to do something to focus it sometime soon, but for now it just feels great.

Other ideas I had (and I will try them) is to use the New History Generator to generate a future without fear of emotions; the use of Perfect Health to heal myself emotionally; and ImageStreaming. There is an exercise from the education of actors which says: For half an hour feel and express one emotion, afterwards go to the next. In the version I know, this includes fear, joy, grief and anger. Each half an hour, two hours total. I thought about doing this just for myself with the help of ImageStreaming (this would be more like EmotionStreaming).

I like the idea of the NBG. First, I will play with the mentioned paraliminals, then, if need be, I will try ImageStreaming.

But why such a hurry? Well, on Monday, I have an application for an advanced study course in which I would learn how to teach drama and the related techniques. But to teach, you have to have experienced it yourself and during the application seminar, I will be tested if my artistic abilities are sufficient. And since drama has a lot to do with the expression of feelings.
The other thing (passion to achieve my goals) is as important, but for that I have time.

So far, I’m quite satisfied with the results of my belief work, but I do some more at the weekend.

Thanks again for the help and the encouragement, and, yes, I would like to go into more detail with the NLP technique.

That’s all for now, bye,

Jens

#3130 06/22/01 08:05 PM

Hi Jens,

It seems like you've already started discovering a strategy to help you work through this. I have a couple of more ideas which may help.

From the first message you wrote, my understanding is that your information processing style is very kinesthetic. You describe walking or showering as "distracting" your mind while you work on the problem, however what this really means is that, at least in this context, you do your best thinking while you are doing somethig physical. Taking that idea a step further I came up with this idea:

- First, make a mind-map of the problem or goal you are working on. Make sure you include not only what you know about it but also any questions you have.

- When that is done, take your mind-map and go for a walk, occaisionally looking down at it. Review what you know and then sort-of "mind probe" using the questions on the MM. Pay attention to any "intuitions" or "gut-feelings" you get while walking.

This message is getting long, but let's take it a step further. Take several pieces of paper and write on them in big, bold letters the names of role-models, favorite actors, even fictional characters you like. Place them in a circle on the floor with you and your MM in the middle. As someone involved in drama, this next part should be fun for you -- step onto one of the pieces of paper, and as you do, leave "Jens" in the center of the circle and become the person on the paper. Take a moment or two to adjust to this new world view and then review your MM from this new position. Once again, pay attention to gut-feelings and notice any new insights you may have. When you have gathered all the information you can from this position, step back into "Jens" in the center and integrate the new info. Proceed with the other resources in your circle in a similar manner.

Please try this technique and give me some feedback. I have a feeling that it will dramatically shift you out of this stuck position and I would enjoy receiving some solid comments from you on it.

Have fun!!

Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeB (edited June 22, 2001).]

#3131 06/23/01 02:34 AM

Mike,
What interesting ideas. I fully intend to try them out the first chance i get. Hopefully this weekend.

Thanks so much for this exercise

#3132 06/23/01 07:04 AM
Jens Offline OP
OP Offline

I fully agree: Really interesting ideas.

I will look into it as soon as I can (this weekend or 10 day later - the rest is already planned).

But I have a question left: OK, I know I'm supposend to have a favourite input (VAKOG) channel and a favorite retrieval channel, which must not be the same. But this is the first time I heard of processing style. Could you please go into some detail for the difference between these three styles/channels/whatever?

I suppose that I'm a strong visual/kinestetic: A lot of ideas show up as pictures, accompanied by feelings. Rembering/imagining I also can best V/K.
Input third is A, but very seldom in memory or imagining (with the possible exception during ImageStreaming if concentrating).

Thinking, on the other hand, I do mostly in words. Is this already auditory? Or is there meant something else?

Keep on learin',

Jens

#3133 06/23/01 12:28 PM

Mike B,

I love your suggestion and I am going to try it. But could you be a little more specific about how to do the mind map. I have a general understanding but am not sure I really know how to do it. Is that a type oc clustering where you just right words in a type of free association?
Thanks

#3134 06/23/01 04:14 PM

Hi Margaret, Jens & Claire!

I'm glad you like my idea. It is a combination of several different NLP techniques. Play with it a little and tell me the results...who knows, maybe some day it will end up in a book .

Claire: Mind-mapping is a method of taking notes which is both visually and creatively oriented. You put a central theme or idea in the middle in a box or circle, etc. Then draw "arms" out of that central theme which represent supporting info. These arms can also branch off with finer detail. The Photoreading and Natural Brilliance courses both describe mind-maps and there are lots of resources on the web as well as books. You can search the Photoreading message board for more information.

Jens: I noticed from some of the language that you used in your original message that you are working on this problem kinesthetically. Some examples: "I'm blocking part of my potential," "shy away from strong feelings," "I bypassed this fear," "It feels to myself as if I buried,"

You mention in a subsequent message, "A lot of ideas show up as pictures, accompanied by feelings." This indicates that your "lead representational system" is Visual - meaning you first recall a picture as a cue or a lead-in to recalling the feelings associated with the memory or idea. Perhaps what this indicates is that your preferred means for input is visual (this is pretty common) and your preferred means of retreival is kinesthetic (with the visual as a cue). So, the sequence would be something like, input through V then the information is "encoded" or stored through K. Anyway, that's the understanding I have right now.

Now, you also mention that you do your thinking in words. This is the a channel called "audio digital." This is the little voice we have in our heads and is entirely created by us - no input required. This is also the voice that is responsible for subvocalization when we read.

I'm not sure that I answered your questions, so if there's anything else I can do, let me know.

Have fun!
Mike

#3135 06/26/01 01:46 PM

Jens,
I know how you feel because I have same problem. Fortunately, I'm changing. Can't tell you for sure if it's because of self-improvement (be it physical, emotional, mental or spiritual) or 'wisdom' which comes with years. I think it's both... and much more.

Clear goal is of great importance. Don't say/think "I want to let go". Imagine yourself letting go and doing what your heart would tell you to. Believe that you are like that. Not becoming but are like that. I've found out that no matter what self-improvement technique you use it works the best (and it works every time!) when you establish such a belief in yourself.

Here is my experience. I didn't dance. Why? Have no clue. I just couldn't let myself go. At times, I was dancing inside, but no one could make me really do it. They were telling me what I already knew. But logical mind couldn't beat it. Out of frustration I started imagining myself dancing. Not only dancing but letting go. Imagining what I'd feel, how I'd behave, sweat, sore muscles after hours of dancing, flow etc. Not long after that, imagined dancing was so satisfying that I almost couldn't tell the difference between imagination and reality. It was so weird. At parties I'd see myself dancing and having a great time. A split second later I'd realize that I was only standing there. One time it just happened. My imagination won and my body started moving like I imagined. And when I realized I was really dancing it was too late! I didn't want to turn back. The thought never crossed my mind. I let go.

The lessons learned:
1. There is a (very) thin line between imagination and reality. With practice you can erase it.
2. Although it can be used as an escape from reality, imagination can also be used to create it.
3. Logical/rational mind cannot change your deep-rooted beliefs.
4. Imagination can/does!

I'd recommend to you autosuggestion and visualization. But that's if you don't already know your way through. It seems that you do and that' great. Just go for it. Can't go wrong.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved